Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection

Faleel

wasn't there some super rare unreleased songs that everyone wanted from Lion King? I forgot the name..something by effra?

That'll be Ofra and The Prince of Egypt.

Thanks for clearing that up. As you can see I'm really into those Disney scores

There are some musical similarities, and Prince of Egypt is done very much in Disney style, so it's understandable people get them mixed-up. Like with Anastasia.

This soundtrack collection is really amazing, with Disney celebrating all of these classic films. I cannot wait to hear Han Zimmer's complete score to The Lion King; the score demos will be interesting to listen to also.

George Brun's adaptation of Peter Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty will be fantastic to hear in remastered quality.

Alan Menken's complete score to The Little Mermaid (as well as the songs by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken, plus additional, unreleased material) will be amazing to hear in remastered quality.

Oliver Wallace's music to Lady and the Tramp will be wonderful to hear in remastered quality.

George Brun's music to The Aristocats (as well as the songs from the film) will be great to hear in remastered quality.

Paul Smith's score to Pinocchio will be exciting to hear in remastered quality.

Randy Newman's music to Toy Story will be fantastic to hear in remastered quality.

Overall, this collection is a real milestone for Disney.

Yes! I need those Tchaikovksy-like fire/chase cues with those crazy strings Bruns did for these pictures, particularly this one at 1:15

Always reminded me slightly of Steiner's King Kong, for some reason.

Interesting. Which cue in particular?

On a related note, I've always been interested in the temp-tracks of Disney films. Lion King is quite known for using The Mission, and Bambi is quite clear hearing the music what the temp-tracks were (particularly some Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and Ride of the Valkyries for the deer march). And even the demos before the orchestral recordings took place, in piano form. Here's a little bit from Aristocats if anyone's interested, taken from Andrea Deja's blog:

This soundtrack collection is really amazing, with Disney celebrating all of these classic films. I cannot wait to hear Han Zimmer's complete score to The Lion King; the score demos will be interesting to listen to also.

George Brun's adaptation of Peter Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty will be fantastic to hear in remastered quality, and with previously unreleased material (especially the scene where Maleficent captures Prince Philip).

Alan Menken's complete score to The Little Mermaid (as well as the songs by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken, plus additional, unreleased material) will be amazing to hear in remastered quality.

Oliver Wallace's music to Lady and the Tramp will be wonderful to hear in remastered quality.

George Brun's music to The Aristocats (as well as the songs from both films) will be great to hear in remastered quality.

Paul Smith's score to Pinocchio will be exciting to hear in remastered quality.

Randy Newman's music to Toy Story will be fantastic to hear in remastered quality.

Overall, this collection is a real milestone for Disney.

Agreed and some of these are in a desperate need of some remastering, particularly The Little Mermaid.

Interesting. Which cue in particular?

Oh, nothing specific, just the general swirling strings. And if I ever decided to directly compare them, I'd probably not notice many similarities. But when I first heard Kong, I immediately had to think of the Hood finale.

Lion King is quite known for using The Mission

Was there any Mozart (Ave verum in particular) in the temp, or is that Zimmer's own doing?

Lion king is a LOT closer to Mozart than Morricone was

Interesting, I didn't notice that so far. I'll make a note of it next time I listen to The Mission.

The Mozart parallels were obvious to me the first time I heard LK. The Morricone sound only became apparent last time I saw the film.

On 5/6/2014 at 4:55 PM, Faleel said:

The Lion King 20th June 24, 2014

Mary Poppins 50th August 26, 2014

Sleeping Beauty 55th October 7, 2014

The Little Mermaid 25th November 17, 2014

Fantasia 75th January 3, 2015

Pinocchio 75th February 3, 2015

Toy Story 20th March 17, 2015

Disneyland 60th April 7, 2015

Lady and the Tramp 60th May 12, 2015

Pocahontas 20th June 23, 2015

Aristocats 45th August 14, 2015 (Available first at D23 Expo)

Cinderella 65th August 14, 2015 (Available first at D23 Expo)"

Well, since Disney seems to be celebrating any anniversary ending in 0 or 5 with this line, I thought I'd compile a list of what could be on tap for 2016-2020:

2016:

Dumbo (75th)

Make Mine Music (70th)

Song Of The South (70th)

Alice In Wonderland (65th)

One Hundred And One Dalmatians (55th)

Walt Disney World (45th)

Bedknobs and Broomsticks (45th)

The Fox and The Hound (35th)

The Great Mouse Detective (30th)

Beauty And the Beast (25th)

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (20th)

--

Atlantis: The Lost Empire (15th)

Monsters, Inc (15th)

Cars (10th)

Winnie the Pooh (5th)

Cars 2 (5th)

2017:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (80th)

Bambi (75th)

Saludos Amigos (75th)

Fun And Fancy Free (70th)

The Jungle Book (50th)

Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh (40th)

The Rescuers (40th)

Pete's Dragon (40th)

Aladdin (25th)

Hercules (20th)

--

Lilo and Stitch (15th)

Treasure Planet (15th)

Meet The Robinsons (10th)

Enchanted (10th)

Ratatouille (10th)

Wreck-It-Ralph (5th)

Brave (5th)

2018:

Melody Time (70th)

Peter Pan (65th)

The Sword In The Stone (55th)

Robin Hood (45th)

Oliver and Company (30th)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (30th)

Mulan (20th)

A Bug's Life (20th)

--

Brother Bear (15th)

Finding Nemo (15th)

Bolt (10th)

WALL-E (10th)

Frozen (5th)

Monsters University (5th)

2019:

The Three Caballeros (75th)

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (70th)

Tarzan (20th)

Fantasia 2000 (20th)

Toy Story 2 (20th)

--

Home On the Range (15th)

The Incredibles (15th)

The Princess And The Frog (10th)

Up (10th)

Big Hero 6 (5th)

2020:

The Black Cauldron (35th) - Intrada already covered this one.

Rescuers Down Under (30th)

Dinosaur (20th)

The Emperor's New Groove (20th)

--

Chicken Little (15th)

Tangled (10th)

Toy Story 3 (10th)

Inside Out (5th)

The Good Dinosaur (5th)

Just being thorough!

I honestly don't think they'd release anything in this line that wasn't at least 20 years old.

Here's hoping for Mulan in 2018!

EDIT: To that point, I just adjusted the list to put a spacer between any anniversaries less than 20 years and the rest, for each year.

I have to admit it. The artwork for the cover of this release is very beautiful. It is a great cover depicting one of the most amazing scenes in the film.

Excellent job by Lorelay Bove.

It's ironic how this iconic scene was ruined in the Bluray, with Disney forgetting(!!!) to put back the clouds that Simba is chasing..

And not a word for a fix of this error!

That was on ALL Diamond Edition releases, even the DVD. I wonder if they meant to have it as a separate element for the 3D version, though.

Do you think they will have a 30th anniversary release for "The Little Mermaid" after the 25th anniversary?

I just noticed that the release months for the 2014 sets are the same as the months the films were originally released, except for "Sleep Beauty" which was originally released in January. "The Little Mermaid" is being released on the same day the film was released, November 17. The 2015 set of releases don't seem to follow this same pattern, though.

Do you think they will have a 30th anniversary release for "The Little Mermaid" after the 25th anniversary?

Woops, fixed!

I have to admit it. The artwork for the cover of this release is very beautiful. It is a great cover depicting one of the most amazing scenes in the film.

It's ironic how this iconic scene was ruined in the Bluray, with Disney forgetting(!!!) to put back the clouds that Simba is chasing..

??? I have the 2 disc DVD set, and the scene does not have this issue. Every element of the film is intact... weird.

That was on ALL Diamond Edition releases, even the DVD. I wonder if they meant to have it as a separate element for the 3D version, though.

... Weird.

??? I have the 2 disc DVD set, and the scene does not have this issue. Every element of the film is intact... weird.

... Weird.

I have the 2-disc set too. That's the earlier "Special Edition" release, not the "Diamond Edition". It even includes "SEX" (or "SFX", whichever you believe it to be)

what? wow

I have to say, being able to hear Hans Zimmer's complete score to The Lion King 20 years after the film was released is remarkable. I mean, the way Disney is celebrating the 20th anniversary of this phenomenal film by releasing this 2 CD set is amazing. Looking forward to hearing the complete score for the first time, and in pristine sound quality.

I have to say, Hans Zimmer has done some good music over the years of his career. I am referring to The Lion King, The Prince of Egypt, and A League of Their Own. Actually, those are the only works of Hans Zimmer that I really enjoy. My favorite of his scores is definitely The Lion King.

Embarrassed to admit it, but I completely missed this piece of news. Fantastic! I'll be getting it for sure. It's cool that two of my favourite Zimmer scores are getting expansions literally weeks apart! :D

Karol

Hey, Jason. That YouTube link you posted; is that a preview of the 2 CD release, or is it a bootleg? If it is a bootleg, I will wait patiently for my copy of the soundtrack to arrive.

Hey, Jason. That YouTube link you posted; is that a preview of the 2 CD release, or is it a bootleg? If it is a bootleg, I will wait patiently for my copy of the soundtrack to arrive.

It's a bootleg. A really great sounding one has been available publicly for a little over a year.

I wish there was a documentary in which Hans Zimmer goes in depth into the scoring process of The Lion King; that is why I am looking forward to the liner notes by Don Hahn and Hans Zimmer.

They're not linear to dyslexics either.

Uh... I'm not dyslexic. It was just a simple typing error. I corrected it.

Anyway, I wonder how in depth the liner notes will go with discussion on Hans Zimmer's score?

I was making a joke. I periodically turn typos into jokes. It's just one of my online habits, and I would kindly ask that if I make an outrageous typo, somebody use it for a joke too. I wasn't accusing you of being dyslexic.

I was making a joke. I periodically turn typos into jokes. It's just one of my online habits, and I would kindly ask that if I make an outrageous typo, somebody use it for a joke too. I wasn't accusing you of being dyslexic.

I know; I was just messing around.

• 2 weeks later...

Just pre-ordered my copy of The Lion King Legacy on Amazon (the US version of the store)... should be here for the start of July (Amazon has a habit of overestimating their ETAs, or at least, the UK store does)