Walt Disney Records The Legacy Collection

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kudos for Yavar from bringing this up on FSM, but Bruce Botnick has revealed on the latest Goldsmith Odissey episode that he has just finished work on a Legacy expansion of The Hunchback of Notre Dame

If we're going to submit feedback to Disney music, it should be to ask that they hire Mike Matessino to produce new complete editions of the Star Wars and Indiana Jones scores

🥰

So they either make them a gay couple and irritate one side of the internet, or they make them just platonic friends and irritate the other side of the internet. Either way they're screwed.

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is the Legacy expansion of the soundtrack to The Hunchback of Notre Dame will be announced within the next few weeks for release near the end of June to coincide with the film's 25th anniversary. This is based on how the Legacy expansions for The Lion King and The Little Mermaid were released the same month they were released in theaters, coinciding with those films' respective anniversaries.

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

They missed the anniversary and the live-action adaption date for Mulan - you missed it Disney, now it's up to Intrada!

Maybe they're waiting for 2023, which will be the movie's 25th birthday?

On 4/28/2021 at 9:21 AM, bollemanneke said:

I wonder if this will sound better too because the original release lacked orchestral power, though maybe that's because of bad orchestrations or too few players.

I recently felt the same way. Especially compared to the film. It is NOT in terms of bad orchestration or few players; it may in fact be the sound mix. In the film itself, both score and songs like "The Bells of Notre Dame", "Out There", "God Help the Outcasts", "Heaven's Light / Hellfire" have more auditory power than what is on the original soundtrack album. For example, compare the opening of "The Bells of Notre Dame" in the film to the OST. The opening chorus is accompanied by actual bells. Then, the opening notes of what I call the "Notre Dame motif" are impactful in terms of orchestration and choir, particularly the percussion. The OST lacks the bells with the opening soft choir and the impact of the percussion; it is as if the OST mix is off while the film is on point in terms of the sound mix. In the same song, compare the crescendo. You here the choir much more clearly in the film than on the OST, even a few sopranos high notes not as audible on the OST. I hope that the entire soundtrack is remastered in a way that compliments Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz's work.

You know, I am surprised nothing has been officially announced by now. The only confirmation we’ve gotten was that interview with Bruce Botnick, and that was over a month ago. Ah, when it happens, it happens.

2 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

It is NOT in terms of bad orchestration or few players; it may in fact be the sound mix.

The finale after the final gargoyle line in that pullback shot especially sounds like a bad narrow pinched mix, in the movie too.

I believe there are 2 releases which are pretty much the same - the current 21 track release takes the previous release (which includes a lengthy interview track) and breaks the demos out of the interview track into separate tracks, adds an additional demo.  The actual score/song program is the same and the sound is v much the same iirc.

9 hours ago, Holko said:

The finale after the final gargoyle line in that pullback shot especially sounds like a bad narrow pinched mix, in the movie too.

The OST, yes. The film, in DTS Master HD 5.1 it’s not.

16 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

The OST, yes. The film, in DTS Master HD 5.1 it’s not.

It's all center! Practically mono.

...what, the random yokel just switched it to mono after that point?

in exactly the same way as the movie when I watched it a couple weeks ago?

Sorry that I didn't upload a bit perfect rip in atmos to drive to make a point and just chose the perfectly fine quality upload of the scene.

19 minutes ago, Permanent Waves said:

Quite a few HD clips get uploaded to youtube in mono

whoops, just like the one I shared

I still heard it be that way in the movie when I watched it though. Can't find any legitimate Disney uploads.

...Really? Aside from fact #4 in that video (which was the only one I actually did NOT know, so it was not a complete downside), how could that possibly constitute a hint for the Legacy expansion? 

19 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

I did, a few days ago. No response yet. (:

While you're at it, tell him to pester Disney about expanding/remastering Temple of Doom :P

I’m starting to think that I was wrong with my earlier prediction; it does not look like the Legacy expansion of The Hunchback of Notre Dame will be released at the end of this month. Why? There has been nothing hinting at it! It would have at least been announced by now if that was the case. All we have to go by is that interview with Bruce Botnick back in April, and that just all but confirms this release is coming at all.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, WampaRat said:

Looking forward to this Legacy Edition of Hunchback!

I just listened to the Legacy Pocahontas and forgot what an incredibly moving and sweeping score that one is. Although he had done it with other Disney finales before this score, the chorus kicking in during the “Farewell” cue is spine tinglingly fantastic.  I think it gets passed over for Beauty and the Beast and Lion King (not Menken I know) since those films were more financially successful.

I’d wager that Pocahontas and Hunchback are arguably the best and most “mature” of Menken’s scores for these 90s Disney films.

I 100% agree. They are the pinnacle of his output, even though Beauty and the Beast is incredible.

Yavar

Hey all so I'm new here to this page could you all possibly inform me on why the legacy collection albums take so long to get new ones added and also are we actually getting an expanded hunchback of notre dame release? If so thats amazing its my favorite Menken score

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Hey all so I'm new here to this page could you all possibly inform me on why the legacy collection albums take so long to get new ones

They're too busy demastering Star Wars.

5 hours ago, Jerry said:

Hey all so I'm new here to this page could you all possibly inform me on why the legacy collection albums take so long to get new ones added and also are we actually getting an expanded hunchback of notre dame release? If so thats amazing its my favorite Menken score

Short answer is: nobody knows except the geniuses running Disney Records.

We're all still patiently waiting for expanded Indiana Jones or Star Wars releases, but it's been confirmed nothing is currently happening with Indy and there's no evidence anything is happening with SW either (they seem content with re-releasing the ancient OST programs ad nauseam).

The logical assumption is that film score expansions are extremely low on the priority list at Disney.

So... we continue to wait. :(