What film score theme/melody is going through your head right now?

Jay

Main Title from Young Sherlock Holmes.

A lovely theme, if ever there was one, and on which subject: what is the fluttering noise heard all through the main and end titles, and how is it achieved?

I, Robot (what the hell. . . ?).

It's always fun to see a thread kick off that you know is destined to last a long, long time (a la the Last Movie You Watched and such).

I prefer "Eye In The Sky", myself.

"Journey of the Sorceror" by The Eagles

It's both a melody and a film theme.

Remember: it was a TV theme waaaaay before it was a movie theme.

A lovely theme, if ever there was one, and on which subject: what is the fluttering noise heard all through the main and end titles, and how is it achieved?

All of the strings (26 violins, 10 violas, 8 cellos and 6 basses) are instructed to tap the bodies of their instruments with their knuckles. The violins start off first, then the violas etc. so the sound gradually becomes bassier.

Like 'tap body of the instrument with knuckles?' :lol:

It falls under the umbrella of 'extended techniques', pioneered by the 60s avant-garde composers like Penderecki and Takemitsu. Some composers use little symbols (borrowed from graphic notation) for these things, but that usually makes it needlessly convoluted, since the players need to memorise a key. Best to just describe it.

Here's Williams using the same technique back in 73. Only 3 basses this time, so a much smaller sound.

0:54

I, Robot (what the hell. . . ?).

It's always fun to see a thread kick off that you know is destined to last a long, long time (a la the Last Movie You Watched and such).

I prefer "Eye In The Sky", myself.

Don't pass over The Turn of a Friendly Card. Classic APP.

"Ride to Fort Hays" from Dances With Wolves.

All of the strings (26 violins, 10 violas, 8 cellos and 6 basses) are instructed to tap the bodies of their instruments with their knuckles. The violins start off first, then the violas etc. so the sound gradually becomes bassier.

Interesting. Was this aleatory, or was it notated to a specific tempo and/or tone?

Interesting. Was this aleatory, or was it notated to a specific tempo and/or tone?

Aleatory, starting slowly then increasing in speed to As Fast As Possible. Each section enters an 8th note rest at a time.

Agreed (IF I had a David Arnold category). I find him overrated, and don't enjoy many of his recent scores.

In honor of Willie, Short Round, and Dr. Jones and their 30th anniversary this Friday, well you guessed it.

The theme from The Last Starfighter. I can never get enough of that one. . . .

"Hilly's Theme" from Silver Streak. (I swear I heard it on someone's cell phone in the hall just now—but who the hell would have that on their phone?!)

Dead Again is a really decent score.

Anyway, it's Stargate theme is stuck in my head. Which, in all honesty, isn't very good.

Karol

"Introducing Aurelia" from Love, Actually. A lot of emotionally uplifting power in what boils down to a very simple score.

Anyway, it's Stargate theme is stuck in my head. Which, in all honesty, isn't very good.

Nope. Can't go with you on that one.