What film score theme/melody is going through your head right now?

Jay

Well, some consider the choral stuff heard at the beginning of Radagast The Brown to be his secondary theme, others consider it to be just the second phrase of his one and only theme.

They do work independent of each other as well as together in the first film.

It all just felt a bit second rate TNG to me. For a show featuring a ship millions of lightyears removed from help, out there in the sticks with a crew made up from 2 distinctly different parties (Starfleet and the Maquis) is all seemed very business as usual.

The cast is solid, but has several really boring characters. Harry Kim, Chakotay, Kes, Neelix. The Doctor and 7 of 9 are the best ones.

While DS9 was taking risks, asking questions regarding the validity of Roddenberries Federation, really trying to go where no Star Trek had gone before (and admittedly not always succeeding) Voyager seemed happy to coast along on the old, familiar formula. I recall losing interest early in season 6 after a few episodes where the main crew just seemed to be casual bystanders.

I returned to it last year via Netflix and saw little that excited me. Some strong episodes though, especially in season 4 and 5. Year Of Hell was great! I wish they didn't have a stupid reset button in the end.

I think the early seasons somewhat play out in the way you describe, but it really changes around when Seven shows up, in my experience. I'm sure nostalgia has a lot to do with it and if DS9 had happened to be the one I got involved in I would prefer that. I do think it managed to also go to the "final frontier" in its own way. The atmosphere of desolation and isolation is always very strong and I think lends vitality to what may be (at times) formulaic plots. The absence of Starfleet is in a way refreshing. Plus in my eyes you can't beat the Borg as recurring villains.

Actually if there was one thing missing its desolation. It never really feels like they out in the sticks, struggling to survive with limited resources.

Replicator rationing does not translate into hard times for me.

The ship stayed squeeky clean, the uniforms nice and ironed.

The Borg became less menacing too.

They seemed to have an endless supply of shuttles too, despite them blowing up from time to time.

It would have been nice if as the seasons went on, the sets started showing signs of wear, open panels on walls, wires hanging out, things that couldn't be fixed, stuff like that. And maybe they even stop wearing uniforms, cause they have run out of unspoiled, unripped ones. You want a lived-in feel for a concept like this. As Stefan said, it just ended up being TNG Lite instead.

Battlestar Galactica done a few years later does a better job with the same central idea. (a show that incidentally own quite a few things to DS9) ;)

One issue is perhaps that most of the episodes really arent about trying to find a way home, or dealing with the fact that you are away from your loved ones and have to meek out an existence in an unexplored part of space. Even in the final season the second to last episode is just a run-of-the mill story of the week and in the last one they kinda find their way home by accident.

By the time the final season rocked up development on the new show Enterprise was seen as the priority, so during Kate Mulgrew's final shots they were actually busy disassembling the sets to make room for the new ones. that pretty much sums up my feelings about Voyager. Not enough passion by those who were in charge.

The absence of Starfleet is in a way refreshing.

But this never happened! Janeway made it clear early on that she would not abandon Starfleet protocol and become a plundering pirate to get home at all costs. She tried her best to play nice with the Quadrant.

Decrepit uniforms would not have made much sense considering 1) the replicators never inoperably failed and 2) Voyager never encountered season long regions of space without anyone to trade with. That would have been boring but compelling.

Not enough passion by those who were in charge.

Exactly

No, it really didn't. Every episode's issues were neatly resolved at the end. It was TNG with different aliens.

This too

I think everyone watched Voyager and TNG because there was often nothing else on. I never got DS9 on a good over air signal when it was running because we never had cable until six years ago.

I have never seen TOS except Space Seed.

Never seen TAS.

I grew up watching TNG with my dad on Saturday nights at 7, which is when it aired in MA in syndication. I doubt I've seen every episode, but occasionally I watch one in reruns if it's on. I've seen the final episode and the one where Geordi and someone else are invisible to the whole crew multiple times. Those 2 eps are fantastic!

DS9 I watched when it premiered up until season 3ish or so. I think I was getting older and my interests where drifting to other things, plus I was getting bored with the show. Sucks too because everyone says the show gets amazing once the Dominion act starts, and I've seen none of that

Voyager I watched when it premiered up until season 2ish or so. Same reasons as DS9 basically. Everyone says its gets better once 7 of 9 shows up, but I've seen none of that. Though I did watch the final episode when it aired, and maybe a few other episodes leading up to that.

Enterprise started after college and I watched every episode even though it basically stunk the entire time.

And I've seen movies 1-6, 8-9, 11-12.

DS9 really picked up from seasaon 4 onwards. As did Voyager, for a while, but settle sback into the groove too soon. I'bve not really seen Enterprise much. I didnt care for the premise back in the day. And what i have seen looked as stale as Voyager or moreso.

I love the episode The Next Phase, when Geordi and Ensign Ro (Michelle Forbes, ie the admiral of BSG's Pegasus) become invisible. I'm not proud, I'll admit I get nerd tears when Data puts it all together.

I wish B5 was on Netflix or Prime or something. I bought the DVD set once as a gift, and don't want to buy it again.

Jerry's main theme to Basic Instinct.

Man, what a great theme. It not only perfectly encapsulates Sharon Stone's character, the overall film as well. And it's one of those themes that is great to listen to in it's own right, but super effective in the film itself as well. I think this is one of Jerry's best scores as it functions in the film, it fits the film like a glove. And the theme is great.

The absence of Starfleet is in a way refreshing.

But this never happened! Janeway made it clear early on that she would not abandon Starfleet protocol and become a plundering pirate to get home at all costs. She tried her best to play nice with the Quadrant.

Decrepit uniforms would not have made much sense considering 1) the replicators never inoperably failed and 2) Voyager never encountered season long regions of space without anyone to trade with. That would have been boring but compelling.

Their physical absence. As in, the fleet isn't on its way to help.

Anyway, leave it to JWFan to shit all over something I say I like. It's getting old. Old enough to now predict that someone (BB?) will say "then stop liking bad things!"

I didn't shit on your comment. Calm down. I realize that the main Starfleet could not rescue Voyager, nobody back home even knew they were alive, at least not before the Prometheus episode, IIRC. But Janeway was forced to integrate Starfleet and Maquis crews, with a Talaxian and Ocampa for guides. Instead of blending the core values of both parties, it was all Starfleet, all the time. She became the shining light of Starfleet values in a dark corner of space. Yawn.

I didn't mean just you, so you can calm down, actually.

You... Only quoted my post when you... Said you were shat upon... Maybe you meant the... Other Wojo shit on you. I'm... Calm.