What film score theme/melody is going through your head right now?

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

Good 'ol Broughton.  I guess at this point we can assume they're waiting until season 2 of The Orville is imminent to release the season 1 soundtrack?  Right???  They better still be planning a release.  Discovery's snooze of a score was out as soon its season ended.

Is he semi-retired from film scoring or is Hollywood just completely retarded?

• 2 weeks later...

Bear McCreary's God of War Mother's Theme. Very lullaby-like and folksy. And has been playing in my head for days.

Anyone ever have that thing where you've got two film score themes stuck in your head at the same time and they keep blending together either playing in counterpoint or leading into each other?

I have that right now with Max Steiner's main theme to Adventures of Don Juan and Williams' sailing theme for Jaws 2

I've just started to hum the main theme from "The Cowboys" while trying to sleep. I first heard anything from it the day it was announced and I've only listened to the Boston Pops piece once and the samples twice. Haven't even seen the movie yet. This is a new experience for me.

It's catchy!

I'm curious which "main theme" you might mean, as the Overture and Main Title both feature 3 of the 7 themes quite prominently.

15 hours ago, Jay said:

It's catchy!

I'm curious which "main theme" you might mean, as the Overture and Main Title both feature 3 of the 7 themes quite prominently.

OK, I looked for it, it starts at 0:29 in the "Overture" sample.

I said main theme because from its overture surroundings, what's before it could be just unconnected opening fanfares like in Adventures of Han, and what's after is much milder. This one's catchy and prominent.

Though now I guess the more generic stereotypical Western one from 0:16 will also play in my head.

Rey's theme. Since TFA it seems to work its way in and out of my head on a regular basis. 

I'm physically unable to get The Cowboys out of my head. Mom's getting annoyed with all my humming.

I wasn't here 6 years ago, what are those bonus tracks like "Erebor" and "The Dwarf Lords"? Shore's sketches that were actually somehow recorded before being rejected?

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

Shore's original Company theme.  What a dignified, noble melody.  I like Plan 9's too, but I wish this hadn't been pretty much benched.

Agreed one hundred thousand percent.  It might be my favorite theme Shore's ever written.  It's heartbreaking that PJ had him abandon it.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

I wasn't here 6 years ago, what are those bonus tracks like "Erebor" and "The Dwarf Lords"? Shore's sketches that were actually somehow recorded before being rejected?

Yes, 3 of them are his theme presentations fully orchestrated + recorded with the LPO just for the album. Edge of the Wild, tho, is the original version of the company's trek from Rivendell to the Misty Mountains and Gandalf in the High Fells, back when that was in Film 1.

I like all of them, it's a shame only tiny snippets of some of those motifs ended up in the final score.

Rudy is one of those scores that I always remember as being good, but I always forget just how good until I give it a full listen every couple years and I have a revelation about it. Anyways, this has been stuck in my head for the last couple days or so. It blows me away how masterfully and consistently Goldsmith was able to deliver to each film genre he was asked to score for.