True Detective

Well, I'm not at that point yet. Story and texture of the first 3 episodes summon the world of David Fincher.

You're still in the intro stages mate, you'll see. It's all about to kick off in epi 4.

I'll put this observation in spoiler tags for Alex.

But it really is remarkable how much True Detective takes after Twin Peaks eh? It's like the Twin Peaks structure revamped for modern audiences, but instead of playing on the soap opera factor, it plays on the cop show theme. Think about it, Carcosa is the new Black Lodge, and the Yellow King is the new Killer Bob. And both shows leave us wondering if we really should believe in this supernatural idea, or whether it really is just another one of humanity's delusions.

I love it! I'm just not sure what they're going to do for the second season.

Yeah, the second half of S2 really did stall, and was hard to sit through. But other than that, it stayed quite good.

The show's main theme is still one of the best ever! It gave me goosebumps when HBO announced the continuation of Twin Peaks.

Oh no! Now Alex has lost all faith in the revival! ;)

Yeah, the second half of S2 really did stall, and was hard to sit through. But other than that, it stayed quite good.

The show's main theme is still one of the best ever! It gave me goosebumps when HBO announced the continuation of Twin Peaks.

Agreed. Found it a bit hokey at first, but now I love it. And Laura Palmer's theme is great too.

None that I've seen. Dexter was great for 4 seasons, but they next 4 seasons where so bad, especially the final season, especially the final episode, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody now ever. Blech.

Weeds I tried, but gave up after 4 seasons.

The running thing with Showtime seems to be that all their shows go on for way too many seasons. Weeds, Dexter, Californication, Shameless, House of Lies.... they just keep going and going forever, long after the good writers move on

Homeland was good for a season and a half but never has gotten back to those glory days

Web Therapy is alright, it's kinda like their version of Curb (awkward moments type comedy)

The Affair is supposed to be really good, but I haven't seen it

A guy at work likes Penny Dreadful

Heard good things about Episodes, Ray Donovan, and Masters of Sex, but I've never seen them

But it doesn't really matter what network the Twin Peaks revival is on; Lynch and Frost have total control I am sure.

But it doesn't really matter what network the Twin Peaks revival is on; Lynch and Price are in total charge I am sure.

Price who? Do you mean Mark Snow?

Lynch said they went to Showtime with it because it was the natural thing to do, he said he and their chief exec go way back.

Jason, how come the board refuses to accept my higher resolution but small sized original avatar of ultra babe Tauriel, but permits your sharp and arguably larger pic? The website keeps lowering the res of my pic every time I try uploading it! Wtf is this site's problem?

I dunno! My original file was 579 x 1004 resolution and 102KB big; After uploading, it looks like the file on JWFan's server now is 577x1000 and 75KB big.

How big is your original file?

Personally having watched both True Detective and Twin Peaks quite recently, I prefer TD more. You can see the influence of Twin Peaks in TD, but it's a more streamlined version, with most of the humour, soap opera and flab removed. To me TD is just more consistent and thus better. Twin Peaks has some exceptional moments, and by and large it's a great series, but there are also elements that are wank and go no where. That James Hurley character, what a waste of space and time. TD gets rid of all this and crystallizes the essence, while also making the whole 'greater evil' stuff a lot more subtle.

Essentially though you're comparing sensibilities, which is largely subjective. TD is definitely much 'tighter' than TP, no arguments there. But for a lot of fans the sheer hokum of TP resonates quite profoundly.

And to draw comparisons between the shows isn't necessarily to argue which is the better of the two, which is something I don't believe I ever did. Actually, it was Breaking Bad instead which I compared True Detective's 'quality' with at the time.

Wrong. Everyone's settings are the same.

Capture.JPG

I'm guessing Quint's file is larger than 1000 KB (1MB)

Nah it was well under. Same as the avatar I tried and failed to upload a few weeks ago. It's buggy I reckon.

They just started to show the series here in Finland. I think I'll watch a couple of episodes today.

I just watched the first episode and I really liked it. Great performances and I love how the series takes its time with establishing the whole thing. Great cast of character actors like Jay O. Sanders and Clarke Peters in smaller roles.

Essentially though you're comparing sensibilities, which is largely subjective. TD is definitely much 'tighter' than TP, no arguments there. But for a lot of fans the sheer hokum of TP resonates quite profoundly.

And to draw comparisons between the shows isn't necessarily to argue which is the better of the two, which is something I don't believe I ever did. Actually, it was Breaking Bad instead which I compared True Detective's 'quality' with at the time.

Oh I agree. TP and TD are quite different in the end, my preference for one isn't a condemnation of the other. They have overlapping themes and even story but both go about it very differently, with TP having A LOT of sides, some good se bad, while TD is much leaner.

I'm not sure who it was but I remember reading someone here being disappointed about TD's ending and how there wouldn't be a continuation in season 2. I can understand how that expectation was moulded now that I've seen TP, but I still think TD told a complete story in one season.

I very much look forward to the new TP of course. The existing two seasons definitely left a lot hanging, despite what some say.

I think we all loved how TD ended, but at the time I was very open here about how incredibly disappointed I was after learning that s02 wouldn't be a continuation and wouldn't be featuring Matt and Woody.

Yeah in retrospect it's for the better. Plus Mcconaughey has expressed interest in returning again later on anyway, so there's the vague possibility of a continuation of some sort I suppose.

After binge watching the 1st season I have to say it was simply excellent TV from start to finish. It really felt like a very cohesive solid story arc with no floundering or filler. The slow burn of the show worked very well and the direction, acting and setting were captivating. Louisiana was another character in all of it and added immensely to the feel of the show with its near mythic atmosphere. I very much like the anthology idea of each season having its own story arc and characters as I really can't imagine there would be much story to tell after what happened to Rust and Marty. I am sad to see them go as both actors gave a hell of a performance but I can't wait to see what is in store for season 2.

I watched 6 episodes already. It's a really good show, a lot of suspense, one single eppy is over before you know it, the director's career is made ... and yet... it all evaporates quickly from my head. Is it the same for you?

Alex

No. It actually stayed with me to an unusual degree the first time around. Each episode would color my thinking for the rest of the day and then some. I guess it just struck some particular resonance with me.

Alex obviously isn't getting it. I'm guessing the show is too popular for him, so he has a natural resistance against it.

Yep