True Detective

Yeah. And the opening titles with the song is one of the best I've seen. Syncs you right to the show's moody atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I'm torn about that. As he walked into the house I thought... "What if they... but do they have the balls to..." And then they did. Seemingly. Which could be great. But he is the best character so far.

Definitely picking up steam. Maybe not in the way that the first season did, but still compelling television for me. The opening scene was very well done.

Still haven't seen episode 2 and 3 yet, but I didn't think Vaughan was too bad in the first episode.

I originally spelt it as Vaughn, but then saw his spelling and I thought I was "correcting" myself. The Pilgrim had me fooled!

I'm all caught up even though I haven't been writing about them.

Episode 1 was such a slog, full of unlikeable characters, it really seemed like Season 2 was on its way to being wholly unremarkable if not outright terrible. I am happy I said this:

I have faith in Pizzolatto
however, because:
Episode 2 was a huge improvement, with our main characters actually getting together and working on a case, seemed the show finally found some forward drive but then...
Episode 3 was another letdown! After all the progress made the week before, it seemed like the show was spinning its wheels again already. Big bummer. Still...
Episode 4 was another good one! Actually, it only might seem good in retrospect because the ending was so good. Everything before that was kind of more of the same. But that shootout was great, and shocking, and well staged. Which brings us to
Episode 5 was easily the best of the odd-numbered episodes, but still not as good as any of the even-numbered ones. The jump forward 2 months after the massacre worked for me, a good way to skip over the boring aftermath and jump right into the changes that result. Some of the "revelations" in this episode, like that Ray killed a random guy Frank told him to and not the real rapist, and that the mayor's son and Caspere were the organizers of the secret sex parties seemed like stuff that's been obvious for weeks now, but at least our characters learning all this is leading to more interesting scenarios.

In other news, here's an excellent discussions about the pros and cons of the season 5 episodes in. They bring up some good points, like how the show is spending a LOT of time on Frank's infertility & Paul’s repressed homosexuality and other character things while IMPORTANT plot details are quickly blown by, and how Pizzolatto still has struggles with strong female characters, and some other stuff. Good read.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/07/true-detective-season-two-recap-roundtable-episode-five-other-lives/398954/

I'm enjoying it. It's not as much of a tight masterpiece as season one, and whether that has to do with no Fukunaga or something else, it doesn't bother me. What it is is still exceptional. Farrell is the highlight for me; I really don't see him but the character, but maybe I just haven't seen him in much else to begin with. And Vaughn has really grown into his role, no longer stiffly delivering lines that seem over his head, he's really owning the absurdly philosophical ex-backsliding-gangster. I really can't see where things are going, which is probably good.

There is a lengthy climactic scene scored with the middle movement of John Adams' Harmonielehre. It was a televisual masterpiece. I think I now have to rank this season equally with the first.

Haven't had the chance to watch pay episode 2 yet. Looks like I have a lot to look forward to.

Hehe, your critiques about the show through episode 5 are kind of funny, because episode 6 explores and better defines all those things.

True Detective 2x06 Church in Ruins

Unlike TGP I was not blown away by this episode, nor has there been yet shown anything that puts this season on par with Season 1... but this was still a solid episode and the season seems on the right track to end strong.

The best scenes this week were everything Ray goes through, from his conversation with Semyon, his scenes with his son and the supervisor, his bender and subsequent call to his ex-wife, and his jail visit with the real rapist. Honestly, I hope the show never reveals who the kid's true father is. It doesn't matter.

Semyon's search for Irina was interesting - just when he (and us the viewers) think he's got a real lead on the case, the unexpected murder happens. That whole scene reminded me of Breaking Bad. BTW, tall thin white cop... gotta be Lt. Burris, right? I also liked that his wife was there with a gun after his conversation with Ray.

Woodrugh's hunt for leads based on the diamonds is proceeding far too slow.

Which brings us to Ani. No surprised that she was molested as a child and is now a knife wielding loner who doesn't trust anybody. As a result of everything she goes through this season, will she finally be able to open up to someone in the future? Anyways, her infiltration into the sex party was frustrating, in that it contained a bunch of good stuff and a bunch of bad stuff at the same time. I liked the music and visual style, and the actual plot (her finding the missing girl and stabbing a guy in the process). But then you have the Molly affecting her differently than anybody else there (Why? And what would have happened if she just didn't take it? Or, if she immediately "coughed" into her hand, actually spitting it out?), no one noticing her palming a knife, her thinking puking would have any affect on something her body's already absorbed, Ray and Paul happening to be outside the window RIGHT when the two people are discussing a deal directly related to everything, Paul happening to be RIGHT outside the RIGHT door when Ani leaves, etc. I dunno. And Paul and Ray finding the contract isn't that compelling to the viewer, because we already know there's a conspiracy for the land for the rail. Why hadn't these guys figured it out yet?

Why am I the only one discussing each episode for more than a few words?

Let's hear more thoughts, watchers!

Yea, that's been a problem since episode 1.

In Season 1, we had a crazy person killing innocent young girls, so of course we wanted that fucker caught and fried.

In season 2, there's one dead city manager, and a land deal worth millions to corrupt people. Yawn.

Since the case is less interesting, Pizzolatto is instead delving into the psyche of all the main characters, there's lots of background-filling-in and character-development, while the case moves along at a snail's pace.

Surely the final 2 episodes will move the case along further, since there can't be much character development left to unravel. We'll see.