Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World (2015)

Sweetmeats

‘Jurassic World’ Scores ‘The Incredibles’ Composer Michael Giacchino
jurassic-world-logo.jpg

Colin Trevorrow is directing the Universal movie, which stars Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and dinosaurs

Oscar-winning composer Michael Giacchino has closed a deal to score “Jurassic World,” the next installment of the hit “Jurassic Park” series, Universal announced Monday.

Colin Trevorrow is directing the epic action-adventure movie from a screenplay he wrote with Derek Connolly.

Since his TV collaborations on “Lost” and “Alias” with J.J. Abrams, Giacchino has become one of the most in-demand composers in Hollywood. He scored both “Star Trek” movies, the last two “Mission: Impossible” movies and such Pixar hits as “The Incredibles,” Ratatouille,” “Cars 2” and “Up,” the latter of which earned him an Academy Award.

“My first stop-motion movies at 9-years-old involved stories where dinosaurs and men were trapped together on long-lost islands or far away planets. My first composing job was to write the score for the Steven Spielberg-produced video game based on the film ‘The Lost World,’ which was one of the earliest console video games to feature an original orchestral score,” said Giacchino. “Having the chance to work on this new movie with the talented director Colin Trevorrow is an incredible opportunity to bring full circle the journey of dinosaurs and film that started in my backyard over 30 years ago.”

“Michael Giacchino is a fiercely creative musical mind and a true ‘Jurassic Park’ fan. While this new score will honor the indelible work of John Williams, our mission is the same as the film itself–to create something bold and new for people who love dinosaurs,” added Trevorrow.

Frank Marshall and Pat Crowley are producing “Jurassic World,” which will be executive produced by original director Steven Spielberg. John Williams composed the iconic “Jurassic Park” theme.

The “Jurassic Park” franchise has grossed more than $1.9 billion worldwide, and Universal will release “Jurassic World” in 3D in June 2015.

Giacchino's upcoming projects include “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes,” “Jupiter Ascending” and Brad Bird's “Tomorrowland.” He's represented by the Gorfaine/Schwartz Agency.

Hmmm. I've never been crazy about Giacchino (I've found it next to impossible to get into Lost beyond a small compilation).

But of all the composers they could've hired, it won't be RCP, and he hasn't yet dumbed down his style for the cloth-eared executives *cough* Doyle *cough.

Looking forward to it.

Well, I guess this will be little more then warmed over pseudo Williams music, courtesy of the try-hard, but ham fisted poster boy of old fashioned film music.

It might be better then Jurassic Park 3, or Superman Returns, but that really doesnt say much.

A lot of my enthusiasm for this will rest on the success of DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES. If he respects the legacy left by Goldsmith and Rosenman, has hired Emil Richards (which he's done before with LOST, so it's not a stretch) and isn't afraid to be avant-garde and challenging, then I'll be fine with JURASSIC WORLD.

And yet, I seriously doubt that's the kind of score we'll end up getting. I'm not sure Giacchino is capable of that kind of writing, yet.

Hmm, I have to say I'm kind of disappointed. I guess I was hoping that possibly Williams would return, but that was just wishful thinking. I'm still interested to hear what Giacchino comes up with.

And yet, I seriously doubt that's the kind of score we'll end up getting. I'm not sure Giacchino is capable of that kind of writing, yet.

Isn't capable of what kind of writing? Avant-garde and challenging? You're forgiven because you haven't heard Lost. ;)

Isn't capable of what kind of writing?  Avant-garde and challenging?  You're forgiven because you haven't heard Lost. ;)

Well, there's plenty of chromatic tone clusters, unorthodox instrumentation and some microtonal pitch-bending, but it's hardly pointillist or truly complex, is it? I haven't heard anything approaching 'No Escape' from Gia. He's good at octatonic barbarity (i.e. JOHN CARTER's heavier cues) but he rarely goes outside that box.

It's not quite POTA madness, but I'll love DOTPOTA to approach this level of awesomeness.

Antonio's Death by Jerry Goldsmith on Grooveshark

Meh. This isn't surprising but it's still disappointing.

His music doesn't have the gravity necessary to sell the drama. It's too lighthearted.

Ignoramus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mOnmsw9Iv0

Lighthearted, my ass.

I stand by my statement. While he does occasionally come close to creating real drama, he usually reverts to generic piano chords rather than relying on the orchestra.

He's John Williams Lite.

This could be good.

While I still dislike the Trek scores, I like some of his other works a lot (Let Me In,Super8 and John Carter)

To be fair, apart from the occasional semi-good Desplat score, there's not much of a choice

Isn't capable of what kind of writing? Avant-garde and challenging? You're forgiven because you haven't heard Lost. ;)

I really have to check these scores out to see what all the fuss is about ;)

Meh. This isn't surprising but it's still disappointing.

His music doesn't have the gravity necessary to sell the drama. It's too lighthearted.

Ignoramus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mOnmsw9Iv0

Lighthearted, my ass.

The second cue is just the kind of Giacchino writing I'm getting really tired of. I guess I'm just sick of those same old constructs in his themes and dramatic writing. It did get interesting at 4:40 though.

Just heard the first cue Koray posted. It's more of the same really, but done with more conviction, which makes it more enjoyable. But still, not the kind of stuff I enjoy from the composer.

This is awesome. Barring Williams himself Giacchino is the best man for the job. Greatly looking forward to what he comes up with.

There seem to have been quite a few who were hoping that John Williams would return. I wonder if this reflects on many initial reactions to Giacchino getting the gig. I am tentatively optimistic about this.

Well, we fully knew with about 100% certainty that Williams wouldn't return

Indeed and thus I am certainly not going to be in an uproar over this. Giacchino is also from the better half of the younger talent in Hollywood film music circles.

It could have been worse. A lot worse.

It could have been worse. A lot worse.

At least they didn't go with some trendy new composer like Steve Price. Michael Giacchino has had a relatively solid output over the years.

I'm not crazy about using Williams themes. I don't want another score like JP3 that kind of tried to sound like Williams but kind of sucked too

Superman Returns is another example where it wasn't a good idea to re-use Williams music

A lot of my enthusiasm for this will rest on the success of DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES. If he respects the legacy left by Goldsmith and Rosenman, has hired Emil Richards (which he's done before with LOST, so it's not a stretch) and isn't afraid to be avant-garde and challenging, then I'll be fine with JURASSIC WORLD.

He will do what the Hollywood bean counters and the director tell him! So unless he is given a chance to ape Jerry Goldsmith or Leonard Rosenman I don't think he will be doing your kind of score. But who knows, perhaps they will let him go bananas and do a really challenging and interesting avantgarde score.

I'm not crazy about using Williams themes. I don't want another score like JP3 that kind of tried to sound like Williams but kind of sucked too

And thus Giacchino as it is said in the press release wants to steer into a new direction with this score.

Superman Returns is another example where it wasn't a good idea to re-use Williams music

John Ottman's Superman Returns was great! It has a perfect balance between new material and old material. John Ottman would probably be a better choice for this project.

I didn't like it although I need a fresh listen

So we have Jupiter Ascending and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes from Giacchino. We'll see how those go

This is...interesting news. While I'm not as much of a fan of Giacchino's music as I was at one point, I'll be curious to hear how this score turns out. And on a personal level, I'm happy for the guy that he's getting to be involved in the project.

sad to say but i'm afraid the days of a risky score like Jerry's POTA are well behind us. I really don't think even someone as high up the hollywood pole as MG will be able to supply that. I also doubt he has those chops too .

but having said that, I do think on occasions he has written some stunning music. Not a full score yet for me ( the closest was John Carter ) but i think he will go on to great things.

Can't say I'm surprised the maestro turned down JP4 either.............star wars reboot it ain't .

t

JW is probably focusing all his energies on Star Wars

We are EXTREMELY lucky he is scoring Star Wars at 82 years old with a new director , I would have never expected it until he said it himself

JW is probably focusing all his energies on Star Wars

We are EXTREMELY lucky he is scoring Star Wars at 82 years old with a new director , I would have never expected it until he said it himself

That could be why he passed on it but it could also be one of Spielberg's new projects, mainly The Untitled Tom Hanks Cold War Spy Plane Thriller. Or maybe John Williams just didn't see much promise in Jurassic World.

I'd have taken David Arnold's apeing of Williams' original themes over Gia's, plus Arnold's action music is much better and would have suited this sort of movie perfectly, but really I'm not bothered either way. Not a movie sequel I'm particularly interested in.