Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World (2015)

Sweetmeats

Heh. I keep listening to the first cue because actually I quite like the lines of it. Gia also does this trick (or at least it sounds like that to me) of spacing out chord changes to introduce more "grandeur" into the music... but the constant quick ostinato underneath ruins it. It detracts from the simple mix Gia is building. Why not more fanfares like these and slow "ooh" chords, and less "dadadada, dadadada, dadadada..."

The more I listen to it, the crappier Williams' Park theme sounds in that piece. I hope it's compression, but it just sounds like crap.

I'm going to indulge in a little bit of utterly uncollegial unprofessionalism: What little I've heard sounds incredibly schizophrenic, as if skilled people were to orchestrate the musings and meanderings of a mere amateur; it ranges from fantastically shoddy to surprisingly middling-but-seasoned..

Well those two Entertainment Weekly exlusives didn't sound too impressive.

The main track list is different how? I'll compare!

And yes, it appears that the iTunes release will include the source music at the end, as bonus tracks 1-24.

Looks like 3M29 The Jimmy Fallon Serenade" by Mick Giacchino won't be included, though.

It's perfectly alright as far as melodic content for a JP part quatre movie goes. Wait for the true casualties as soon as it goes into action mode.

Hey you are right, the track list changed!

BEFORE:

1 Bury the Hatchling
2 The Family That Strays Together
3 Welcome to Jurassic World
4 Does This Dino Make Jurassic Look Big
5 As the Jurassic World Turns
6 Clearly His First Rodeo
7 A Glorified Petting Zoo
8 Owen You Nothing
9 Indominus Wrecks
10 Gyrosphere of Influence
11 Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus
12 Fits and Jumpstarts
13 The Dimorphodon Shuffle
14 Love in the Time of Pterosauria
15 Chasing the Dragons
16 Raptor Your Heart Out
17 Costa Rican Standoff
18 The Teeth Degree
19 Our Rex Is Bigger Than Yours
20 Growl and Make Up
21 Nine-To-Survival Job
22 The Park Is Closed
23 Jurassic World Suite

AFTER:

01 Bury the Hatchling 1:56
02 The Family That Strays Together 1:00
03 Welcome to Jurassic World 2:08
04 As the Jurassic World Turns 5:30
05 Clearly His First Rodeo 3:28
06 Owen You Nothing 1:19
07 Indominus Wrecks 6:11
08 Gyrosphere of Influence 3:14
09 Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus 4:44
10 Fits and Jumpstarts 1:31
11 The Dimorphodon Shuffle 2:13
12 Love in the Time of Pterosauria 4:30
13 Chasing the Dragons 2:54
14 Raptor Your Heart Out 3:50
15 Costa Rican Standoff 4:37
16 Our Rex Is Bigger Than Yours 2:41
17 Growl and Make Up 1:16
18 Nine to Survival Job 2:33
19 The Park Is Closed 1:38
20 Jurassic World Suite 12:53

TOTAL TIME - 70:06

ITUNES BONUS TRACKS

21 It's a Small Jurassic World 1:43
22 The Hammond Lab Overture 1:07
23 The Brockway Monorail 1:45
24 Sunrise O'er Jurassic World 2:06

TOTAL TIME - 6:41

GRAND TOTAL TIME - 76:47

Unfortunately, I am not impressed at all with either track :(

Well that's a first! That bad eh?

;)

Will have to check it out.

So they removed

4 Does This Dino Make Jurassic Look Big

7 A Glorified Petting Zoo

18 The Teeth Degree

Weird!

Wonder if there is a chance those tracks were combined with others instead of removed?

It's possible. Looks like SAE was sent some kind of early version, they probably weren't supposed to list that track list publicly.

Well this is a New Zealand iTunes list, we still don't know what will end up on the actual CD.

Correct. Maybe the physical CDs will all have these tracks, as well.

It's clear now the SAE listing was in error of some sorts.

The theme is not bad actually. Certainly one of his better ones. The idea sounds promising, but execution and contrapuntal writing is pretty mediocre.

But like pub said, the real damage is going to be in the action cues anyway.

The best stuff so far seems to be the parts that directly reference Williams, like the ending of Nine to Survival or the opening of The Park is Closed.

I actually really like what I'm hearing from this score.

Agree. I don't care what anyone else says--this is the best JP score I've heard in a long time.

From the iTunes previews i'd say it sounds much more assiduous and colorful than i initially thought...not exactly music that i would want to listen to outside of the movie but hardly as shortwired and jumpy as Giacchino often is.

Yeah. I'm looking forward to this. I fully expect it to be thematically better than Tomorrowland and Inside Out will probably be interesting at first pass, then lose its charm.

Whatever misgivings I may have about Giacchino, I would never term him an "amateur" as has been done, rather shockingly.

It's interesting that the suite doesn't feature any John Williams music. At least I was told it doesn't.

Williams' themes appear in four tracks, two of which you've already heard. There's one more quick version of the fanfare and one longer statement of main theme at the beginning (very similar to the first film, apparently). That's it.

Karol

Awesome review, and it solidifies my anticipation for the score. I for one have really liked what I have heard so far (not just the JP refs). Dimorphodon Shuffle is a lot of fun, for one! I kind of expected a little bit more quoting of JP themes in the score, but hey, it's an OST. I have a feeling there are more just not represented that we won't know about until we see the film or obtain sessions. I mean, there's GOTTA be some kind of statement when:

They come across the old Visitor Center in ruins.

It just isn't on this album (and none of the track names so far seem to point to that sequence). But it of course makes sense for the album to be more of a showcase of Giacchino's music rather than all of his Williams quotes. It's clear from the review the score is not dependent of them like Jurassic Park 3 was. Speaking of that score, wasn't it always odd to hear JP themes only really associated with Nublar events in a Sorna film where there wasn't always a reasonable reference for them? In many ways the way Davis used Williams theme quotes was almost random just "for the sake of it." Not that I minded in the end: I'm glad we have a JP score that got to have FUN with those themes even more frequently than even Williams seemed to in the original. I knew from the get-go that Giacchino's score would not be the same way just from the approach they took to this film.

One JP theme, or motif, that I was hoping would make an appearance (again, maybe it does in the film) is the four-note "carnivore" motif. But like he says in the review, the new five-note motif is so similiar that it really is just the evolution of that. I think it's a perfect switch.

I'm wondering, which version of the album he reviewed? The one with that track list from Screen Archives? Or the iTunes one? Or maybe a CD version without those extra "park music" tracks? Or who knows, maybe the CD has them, too. Hard to tell still.

To be perfectly honest, Gia's usage of Williams' material isn't any better than Davis'. It might be either performance or arrangements but those themes don't really feel right. It's a like a badly selected take from a score of a completely different composer. Sticks out like a sore thumb. Perhaps it's a good thing he doesn't rely so heavily on those.

Other than that, it's not a bad score by any means. It probably won't convert many new people to the just cause but it does show improvement in writing. Action music is actually less cursory than usual. Not that it has a terribly complex architecture (like Williams or Davis) but at least it's dressed up a bit more cleverly. You know, a lot of woodwind runs, percussion, more interesting melodic lines. Giacchino references Williams more in the overall approach and orchestrations (at least generally), rather than themes. And it's not a bad thing, actually.

His main theme is an interesting one and a bit curious. The first section isn't memorable at all but the B part is actually quite nice and deserve to be in this series (at 1:17). I like that he often cites the first three notes of Williams' main theme at the end (1:44 and 3:49). It's a bit like Elfman/Silvestri combo in Age of Ultron:

It's curious, though, that this theme does not show up in the suite.

Karol