Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World (2015)

Sweetmeats

Second paragraph: "It's a big task".

That is not a spelling mistake.

In England "a big ask" is a term that means "a task that difficult to fulfill"

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/a-big-ask

Just trying to make you guys' reviews look more professional!

Nice try, but you are just showcasing your ignorance when it comes to the English language.

I think if you have professional credits under your belt the term "amateur" is no longer true. The negation of that concept is also true.

:P

To be perfectly honest, Gia's usage of Williams' material isn't any better than Davis'. It might be either performance or arrangements but those themes don't really feel right. It's a like a badly selected take from a score of a completely different composer. Sticks out like a sore thumb. Perhaps it's a good thing he doesn't rely so heavily on those.

Other than that, it's not a bad score by any means. It probably won't convert many new people to the just cause but it does show improvement in writing. Action music is actually less cursory than usual. Not that it has a terribly complex architecture (like Williams or Davis) but at least it's dressed up a bit more cleverly. You know, a lot of woodwind runs, percussion, more interesting melodic lines. Giacchino references Williams more in the overall approach and orchestrations (at least generally), rather than themes. And it's not a bad thing, actually.

His main theme is an interesting one and a bit curious. The first section isn't memorable at all but the B part is actually quite nice and deserve to be in this series (at 1:17). I like that he often cites the first three notes of Williams' main theme at the end (1:44 and 3:49). It's a bit like Elfman/Silvestri combo in Age of Ultron:

It's curious, though, that this theme does not show up in the suite.

Karol

Thanks for the additional info! I am happy to hear that despite not quoting his themes more that he instead goes for a more Williams sound in general. That is almost better anyway, and I could tell from many clips and film clips. That is curious that the "As the Jurassic World Turns" theme is not in the suite. Considering how freaking long it is.

I think if you have professional credits under your belt the term "amateur" is no longer true. The negation of that concept is also true.

:P

That's complete bull. Having professional credits doesn't prevent the composer's music from sounding bad or amateurish. If anything, it makes the term "amateurish" more applicable.

It's always striking when a great composer's theme is being used by a greatly less talented composer of the new generation, and it's so painfully obvious when the subtle and nuanced touch, and the striking harmonies, flow into the mundane and generic compositions of said new composer.

It's a bit less painful that, say, in the Potter films by Hooper, but it's still aggravating.

It's a bit less painful that, say, in the Potter films by Hooper, but it's still aggravating.

Hooper's adaptations of the Potter themes (in Order of the Phoenix at least) were actually semi-interesting, there were just too few references (the lack of Window to the Past for the Harry/Sirius scenes for example, was inexcusable). The underscore and action music are what truly kill that score.

Listening to samples. Giacchino's raptor theme from The Lost World (game) makes an appearance in Raptor Your Heart Out :D

It's always striking when a great composer's theme is being used by a greatly less talented composer of the new generation, and it's so painfully obvious when the subtle and nuanced touch, and the striking harmonies, flow into the mundane and generic compositions of said new composer.

This is why I'll probably never bring myself to listening to this outside of the movie, should I see it.

Listening to samples. Giacchino's raptor theme from The Lost World (game) makes an appearance in Raptor Your Heart Out :D

Awesome!

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone else hear a nod to Williams' main theme for The Lost World near the end of the sample of 'Our Rex...' on ITunes?

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone else hear a nod to Williams' main theme for The Lost World near the end of the sample of 'Our Rex...' on ITunes?

Yeah it certainly sounds like it. Somehow random but a nice nod.

I consider that theme (well, the score in general) the only real saving grace of TLW, so I wouldn't have been at all against hearing more of it here. But I guess that must be the only reference to it.

Random?... Think of the (tracked) TLW finale. When ludlow sees the big rex has arrived to the Venture.

Maybe the T-rex does something and surprise attacks the I-rex.

The Lost World nod was cool. Was hoping this would be out today but HMV didn't even have a release date for it. Hope it shows up on Spotify. I don't think Tomorrowland did.

Random?... Think of the (tracked) TLW finale. When ludlow sees the big rex has arrived to the Venture.

Maybe the T-rex does something and surprise attacks the I-rex.

I just hope there is a reason for this thematic quote so it won't be entirely random as I said, just for the sake of getting it in there.

This is why I'll probably never bring myself to listening to this outside of the movie, should I see it.

that's what I was saying. Gia might as well have left out Williams themes altogheter so his music seems a bit better on it's own

Everone's complaining about a score they haven't even had a chance to listen to the whole thing yet. I guess I'm not as pessimistic about it!

Well its Tuesday in New Zealand, so the score is officially up for sale on their iTunes store

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/jurassic-world-original-motion/id996702871

And it will be available soon on the Australia iTunes store

https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/jurassic-world-original-motion/id996702871

I like the first 19 tracks, seems like a nice 57 minute journey.

The suite seems kind of aimless, and the 7 minutes of source music should have been used for actual film cues instead.

Will need more listens to form a more detailed opinion.

There really wasn't a single standout track that made me want to immediately repeat it. Tomorrowland and Jupiter Ascending had plenty.

Maybe this will be a slow burn.

There's a nice quote of the new them 22 minutes in, but it is not allowed to breathe before returning to suspense music