Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World (2015)

Sweetmeats

So if that's the Jurassic World theme (which it probably is, I don't doubt what you said), then what's the Family theme Giacchino referred to in an interview?

Karol

The theme in Owen You Nothing doesn't appear anywhere else in the album. I hear the action theme as more of a Park Security/Dinosaur Tamer theme for Pratt and Sy's characters, but who knows yet.

The theme in Owen You Nothing doesn't appear anywhere else in the album. I hear the action theme as more of a Park Security/Dinosaur Tamer theme for Pratt and Sy's characters, but who knows yet.

The fact that it doesn't appear anywhere else indicates that 'Owen's theme' that I listed in my analysis is all the same theme. Giacchino starts it off as comedic and care-free as I'm sure the film will do too, then as he becomes more of an action hero, so does his theme.

Giacchino should have scored this film way back in 1997 or 1998. When he was unkown and wanted to impress people.

To me, this score sounds very much like it was meant to impress (more of a classical sound, different orhcestration, etc). Just not in the way you all were expecting, apparently.

I have not yet listened to it :P. Just said that because in 1998 he wouldnt have been afraid on using JW themes or try to emulate his style. Now as a composer on his own, he has his own different style.

I have heard bits of it and liked what I heard a lot.

:)

I was rather disappointed with Jupiter Ascending, however, because of the lack of a strong theme and good mélodies or motifs throughout; nothing engaging.

Well, here's my theme list. I've been working on this since yesterday, and when I saw that leeallen01 posted his own list, I got motivated to finish it up.

NOTE that I purposely didn't look at leeallen01's list so mine would be entirely my own work. Now that it's up, I'll look at his and see if we differ on anything!

Indominus Rex Theme
01 Bury The Hatching 0:07-0:35
07 Indominus Wrecks 4:51-5:01
13 Chasing The Dragons 2:03-2:12
15 Costa Rican Standoff 3:16-3:23
20 Jurassic World Suite 3:38-4:10, 4:34-5:17

Family Theme
02 The Family That Strays Together 0:06-1:00
09 Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus 0:20-0:36
10 Fits and Jumpstarts 0:13-0:42
12 Love in the Time of Pterosauria 4:08-4:30
18 Nine to Survival Job 0:31-1:20 (modified)
20 Jurassic World Suite 9:23-11:13 (modified)

Evil Theme
04 As The Jurassic World Turns 0:00-0:40
07 Indominus Wrecks 0:55-1:43, 3:21-3:27
20 Jurassic World Suite 0:05-3:14

Main Theme
04 As the Jurassic World Turns 0:57-1:49, 3:33-3:50
05 Clearly His First Rodeo 2:13-3:00, 3:00-3:28 (B Section)
08 Gyrosphere of Influence 0:07-0:43, 1:07-1:30 (B Section)
09 Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus 1:57-3:06
10 Fits and Jumpstarts 1:09-1:13
11 The Dimorphodon Shuffle 1:40-1:50
13 Chasing the Dragons 0:22-0:53 (action variant)
14 Raptor Your Heart Out 2:35-2:45
15 Costa Rican Standoff 0:53-1:30 (modifed)
16 Our Rex is Bigger than Yours 0:25-0:51
17 Growl and Make Up 0:30-1:14
18 Nine to Survival Job 0:15-0:31 (B Section), 1:40-2:33
19 The Park is Closed 0:20-1:38

Owen's Theme
05 Clearly His First Rodeo 1:52-2:06
06 Owen You Nothing 0:13-1:13
07 Indominus Wrecks 0:13-0:34
09 Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus 3:23-3:42
12 Love in the Time of Pterosauria 0:50-1:02
20 Jurassic World Suite 6:28-7:20, 7:50-8:48, 11:15-12:41

Raptor Theme (from The Lost World: Jurassic Park (Game) Score)
14 Raptor Your Heart Out 1:41-1:57

John Williams themes:

Theme From Jurassic Park
03 Welcome To Jurassic World 0:00-0:38 (intro), 0:38-2:08
19 The Park is Closed 0:00-0:20

05 Gyrosphere of Influence 2:38-2:44

The Island Theme
04 As The Jurassic World Turns 5:00-5:30
15 Costa Rican Standoff 4:25-4:37

Theme From The Lost World
16 Our Rex is Bigger than Yours 1:50-1:56

So are people going to wait until they see the film before putting theme lists together? I guess we can speculate. The obvious ones are obvious, but Owens theme heard in 'Owen you nothing,' is reprised quite nicely. I hear it in action mode at 3:20 in 'Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus.'

I hear that too.

Have I got these themes correct?

Love theme - start of track 2

I-Rex / Carnivoire - start of track 4

Park/Island Theme - about 1 minute into track 4

1 There is no love theme; That's the Family Theme.

2 I don't know if the theme that starts track 4 is for the I-Rex or not (I called it an Evil Theme in my list), because the theme that starts track 1 could be the I-Rex theme (I called it that in my list). Or maybe they are both for the I-Rex. Actually, one of them is probably for danger in general (like JW did for the first 2 movies) and the other is probably for the I-Rex specifically. So I probably have my themes named backwards.

3 Yes; I just call it the Main Theme for now until I've seen the film.

Does the Family theme statement (well, I guess that's the family theme) at 01'42 in The Dimorphodon Shuffle (or the one at 02'35 in Raptor Your Heart Out) remind anyone of When You Are Alone? Every time I hear it, I start humming that damn song!

That's the Main Theme, not the Family Theme, and no it doesn't sound like When You're Alone to me!

Does the Family theme statement (well, I guess that's the family theme) at 01'42 in The Dimorphodon Shuffle (or the one at 02'35 in Raptor Your Heart Out) remind anyone of When You Are Alone? Every time I hear it, I start humming that damn song!

Those are my favorite bits, wish he developed that melody some more.

Wha? The Main Theme plays in 13 of the 20 score tracks!

Jay, I've picked up on a couple more references to Williams' music. The Island theme clearly appears at 4:25 in "Costa Rican Standoff," and at 2:35 in "Gyrosphere of Influence" there's something that might be a reference to the intro of the main theme. The last note is lower, though.

JAY, What you listed as evil theme sounds like the main theme to me. Same number of notes, just made to sound more evil and uneasy. Also what you call the family theme, I was thinking that until I heard it throughout the score. To me it sounds like more of a love theme between Pratt and Howard. I may be wrong, but the way Giacchino writes it sounds more romantic at times than a family theme. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Its appearance in pieces like 'Family that strays together' suggest it as the family theme, but its appearance in 'Love in the time of Pterosauria' suggests love theme.

I second Henry's observations about the Williams quotes in those two tracks. I love the equal-opportunity spirit Giacchino shows toward quoting in this score; except for the wholesale reprise in "Welcome to Jurassic World" and the arguably unimaginative island theme quote in "As the Jurassic World Turns," there's some nice, subtle nods to the earlier scores that feel intelligent rather than obligatory.

Jay, considering I call 'the family theme' that you listed, 'the love theme,' what do you think of the Kids theme I listed? I thought it matched perfectly to the innocence and wonderment of kids in a dinosaur park, and the fact that it appears towards the beginning, then disappears in the middle because of their terror, then appears at the end, makes it worthy of a theme for the kids.

Kids Theme:

3:00 - Clearly his first Rodeo (Wonderment)

1:07 - Gyrosphere of Influence (Innocence)

0:15 - Nine to Survival Job (Relieved statement)

The fact that it doesn't appear anywhere else indicates that 'Owen's theme' that I listed in my analysis is all the same theme. Giacchino starts it off as comedic and care-free as I'm sure the film will do too, then as he becomes more of an action hero, so does his theme.

It's not the same theme. Not even a different setting.

Completely different melodic contours, intervalic relationships, rhythms and harmonies.

Owen's Theme:

cDVLG9c.png

Dino Tamer Theme:

FUsm7cN.png

So are people going to wait until they see the film before putting theme lists together? I guess we can speculate. The obvious ones are obvious, but Owens theme heard in 'Owen you nothing,' is reprised quite nicely. I hear it in action mode at 3:20 in 'Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus.'

I hear that too.

Have I got these themes correct?

Love theme - start of track 2

I-Rex / Carnivoire - start of track 4

Park/Island Theme - about 1 minute into track 4

1 There is no love theme; That's the Family Theme.

2 I don't know if the theme that starts track 4 is for the I-Rex or not (I called it an Evil Theme in my list), because the theme that starts track 1 could be the I-Rex theme (I called it that in my list). Or maybe they are both for the I-Rex. Actually, one of them is probably for danger in general (like JW did for the first 2 movies) and the other is probably for the I-Rex specifically. So I probably have my themes named backwards.

3 Yes; I just call it the Main Theme for now until I've seen the film.

That's the Main Theme, not the Family Theme, and no it doesn't sound like When You're Alone to me!

Those are my favorite bits, wish he developed that melody some more.
Wha? The Main Theme plays in 13 of the 20 score tracks!
Just because it's in a lot of tracks doesn't mean it's developed.

Videogames are probably much easier to write for and don't require the same dramatic talent as film scoring on the level of JW, Goldsmith, Horner etc.

Agreed. The problem was I never much liked Gia's much raved about work in that medium either.

Being somewhere in the middle ground on this subject (with some composers more and some less) I have to agree with that Quintus. But sometimes such activities as analyzing these things can actually add to your appreciation of the music. It is not a requirement to enjoy good music though.

The Island theme clearly appears at 4:25 in "Costa Rican Standoff,"

Yup! I heard that on first listen of course; Just someone forgot to add it to the list. Also, something odd about that: I got my physical copy in the mail yesterday, and on the back cover there are symbols next to "Welcome To Juraassic World", "As The Jurassic World Turns", and "The Park Is Closed" that indicate the track "contains Jurassic Park Theme by John Williams", and also at the bottom it says tracks 3, 4, and 19 are written by John Williams and Michael Giacchino. But there is no such indication next to Costa Rican Standoff! I wonder if its because the quote is so short? Also the way it comes right at the end of the track and ends abupdtly makes me wonder if the film version of the cue will be longer / different....

at 2:35 in "Gyrosphere of Influence" there's something that might be a reference to the intro of the main theme. The last note is lower, though.

Hmmmm... MAYBE..... it could be the first 4 notes of the JP theme, or it could just be a coincidence....

That reminds me, there was another part somewhere where something sounded like it was going to be the JP theme, but then it went immediately into one of MG's themes. I forget now where that was....

JAY, What you listed as evil theme sounds like the main theme to me. Same number of notes, just made to sound more evil and uneasy.

No way! Completely different theme, doesn't sound the same at all!

Also what you call the family theme, I was thinking that until I heard it throughout the score. To me it sounds like more of a love theme between Pratt and Howard. I may be wrong, but the way Giacchino writes it sounds more romantic at times than a family theme. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Its appearance in pieces like 'Family that strays together' suggest it as the family theme, but its appearance in 'Love in the time of Pterosauria' suggests love theme.

Well, I didn't call it the Family Theme; MG did. Listen to him talk about it here:

http://www.wnyc.org/story/michael-giacchino-presents-his-music-tomorrowland-jurassic-world-and-inside-out/

what do you think of the Kids theme I listed? I thought it matched perfectly to the innocence and wonderment of kids in a dinosaur park, and the fact that it appears towards the beginning, then disappears in the middle because of their terror, then appears at the end, makes it worthy of a theme for the kids.

Kids Theme:

3:00 - Clearly his first Rodeo (Wonderment)

1:07 - Gyrosphere of Influence (Innocence)

0:15 - Nine to Survival Job (Relieved statement)

I have that listed in my list as the B Section of the Main Theme. I'm sure it'll be obvious once we see the film if it has any special meaning.

Jay, the main theme also appears in track four at 3:33 from what I can hear

Agreed!

How can you possibly consider none of these a "developed" instance of the theme?

Not even the long version in Clearly His First Rodeo that plays from 2:13-end and includes the B Section?

Or when it plays for over a minute in Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus? Or when it reaches its grand conclusion in The Park is Closed?

Those aren't "developed"?

Sharkey, so would you say in my list under Owen's Theme, those are all the same theme apart from the bit in the track "Owen You Nothing", in your estimation?

Am I fucking invisible or what?

Owen's Theme:

cDVLG9c.png

Dino Tamer Theme:

FUsm7cN.png

Sharkey, so would you say in my list under Owen's Theme, those are all the same theme apart from the bit in the track "Owen You Nothing", in your estimation?

To me, the theme in Owen You Nothing and Indominus Wrecks are one and the same, but different from the one appearing in the other tracks you listed.

I really can't get into this score as much as I immediately got into Tomorrowland, or eventually got into Jupiter Ascending.

And for me, Giacchino's action writing as so far peaked with Star Trek Into Darkness; I don't think any action material in Dawn of the POTA, Jupiter Ascending, Tomorrowland, or Jurassic World is as good as, say, the Klingon sequence from STID

I always read that abbreviation as STD for some reason. :lol:

How can you possibly consider none of these a "developed" instance of the theme?

Not even the long version in Clearly His First Rodeo that plays from 2:13-end and includes the B Section?

Or when it plays for over a minute in Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus? Or when it reaches its grand conclusion in The Park is Closed?

Those aren't "developed"?

To be honest, I only listened to the first 30 minutes once. Nothing stands out for me there, so I just start at "Fits And Jumpstarts" and listen through to the suite.

Yup, though the theme that reoccurs could be Owen's theme. We'll have to wait and see how it lines up with the film.

That was the best action music in STID. A lot of it just fell flat and awkward.

I always assumed action music is comparatively easier to write. But apparently not!

2 of those 3 developed instances of the main theme I mentioned are in the second half of the OST!

But yea, the Clearly His First Rodeo instance is probably the most developed of them all. Check it out now!