Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World (2015)

Sweetmeats

Yes, and the raptor/Owen music comes next. :)

So Michael Giacchino finally scores a "hit" movie. It must be reassuring for him after the several flops he scored ( John Carter,Jupiter Ascending and Tomorrowland)

Inside Out is not a flop.

Karol

Pity the main two themes are not quite as good. Having said that, the statement heard in Clearly His First Rodeo (at 2:13) is very nice. Williams-esque, even (not counting the guitar).

Karol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The park is closed on CD sounded weird. the transition from JP theme to giacchinos does not sound natural...

Rewatching the film, it sounded right. And i checked both together and the film version has the piano solo transition longer and segues into giacchinos theme much better.

Why would they release the akward version on CD????

Giacchino really outdid himself mimicking Williams: awful MICROEDITING !

• 1 month later...

Did anyone ever see this interview?

http://screenrant.com/jurassic-world-colin-trevorrow-interview/

Nothing too exciting, especially now of course, but here are some of the director's words. He first talks about John Williams. Didn't know he actually came in and had a talk with Colin. Also how Giacchino appeared to originally play the JP theme likely when the Rex breaks through the skeleton. Interesting:

Well, John was doing J.J.’s [Abrams] Star Wars but he came in and was wonderful. We talked for a good long time about it, he was very generous and at that time I knew I wanted to work with Michael and Brad Bird who is a great friend and mentor has worked with him as well, so I knew that’s what I wanted and luckily enough we were able to make it work. He is very busy, he has three movies coming out within a month of each other and that requires three scores written pretty much back to back so he’s exhausted, he deserves a break. But I think the work he did for this movie is transcendent. I cannot find another superlative, it’s beautiful. We have the CD now and my kid plays it as he’s playing with dinosaurs acting out the story, he runs through the whole movie with this in the background, it’s really wonderful. The score is, we do use the Williams [theme] in brief moments but his new theme, I tried to really encourage him to not be timid in writing a new theme, I want a Jurassic World theme, this movie deserves it. There was a moment pretty late – I don’t want to spoil it, but a big moment at the end of the movie where a character we love comes back and I said, “We should hear the theme here,” and he played the John Williams theme. I was like, “No no man, your theme.” And so he did and it was great. It was a very rewarding relationship.

Did anyone ever see this interview?

http://screenrant.com/jurassic-world-colin-trevorrow-interview/

Nothing too exciting, especially now of course, but here are some of the director's words. He first talks about John Williams. Didn't know he actually came in and had a talk with Colin. Also how Giacchino appeared to originally play the JP theme likely when the Rex breaks through the skeleton. Interesting:

Well, John was doing J.J.’s [Abrams] Star Wars but he came in and was wonderful. We talked for a good long time about it, he was very generous and at that time I knew I wanted to work with Michael and Brad Bird who is a great friend and mentor has worked with him as well, so I knew that’s what I wanted and luckily enough we were able to make it work. He is very busy, he has three movies coming out within a month of each other and that requires three scores written pretty much back to back so he’s exhausted, he deserves a break. But I think the work he did for this movie is transcendent. I cannot find another superlative, it’s beautiful. We have the CD now and my kid plays it as he’s playing with dinosaurs acting out the story, he runs through the whole movie with this in the background, it’s really wonderful. The score is, we do use the Williams [theme] in brief moments but his new theme, I tried to really encourage him to not be timid in writing a new theme, I want a Jurassic World theme, this movie deserves it. There was a moment pretty late – I don’t want to spoil it, but a big moment at the end of the movie where a character we love comes back and I said, “We should hear the theme here,” and he played the John Williams theme. I was like, “No no man, your theme.” And so he did and it was great. It was a very rewarding relationship.

It seems like Williams really was going to score it if it weren't for prior commitments. Not that I'm complaining, as a new Williams Star Wars score is far more interesting to me than a new Williams Jurassic Park score.

Perhaps if the film had the original 2014 release date...

It's also interesting that Williams already met Trevorrow as he's now directing episode VIII.

That was my first thought as well. No doubt Williams would've been told he was being considered for Star Wars when they met.

The quote is a bit confusing though. Colin wanted to work with Michael but they got John in for a long talk about the music? Who turned who down, or was it a mutual agreement?

It's also interesting that Williams already met Trevorrow as he's now directing episode VIII.

That was my first thought as well. No doubt Williams would've been told he was being considered for Star Wars when they met.

The quote is a bit confusing though. Colin wanted to work with Michael but they got John in for a long talk about the music? Who turned who down, or was it a mutual agreement?

I'm guessing that he might have misphrased it. John Williams was probably in talks to do it for a little while and had to bow to scheduling conflicts. That, or John Williams was just giving advice on how and when to use the themes.

It seems like Williams was open to talk about the film and help out if he could, perhaps write new themes ala Supernan IV, but Trevorrow wanted Giacchino instead.

If only. Jurassic World was definitely lacking in the "theme department".

It could have just been an informal visit too, of course, Marshall or whoever inviting him down to see a bit of the film and reminisce, meeting Trevorrow while down there, answering his questions about the first two films and how he approached the music on them. Not everything has to be a conspiracy :P

It could have just been an informal visit too, of course, Marshall or whoever inviting him down to see a bit of the film and reminisce, meeting Trevorrow while down there, answering his questions about the first two films and how he approached the music on them. Not everything has to be a conspiracy :P

Are you saying Williams wrote an entire score for Jurassic World which Colin rejected and had Giacchino come in to replace him at the last minute?!

This explains why Williams REALLY couldn't do Bridge of Spies.

Are you saying Williams wrote an entire score for Jurassic World which Colin rejected and had Giacchino come in to replace him at the last minute?!

This explains why Williams REALLY couldn't do Bridge of Spies.

Yes! Somebody's reading between the lines!

You have be pretty quick witted to spot such little clues between the lines you know. Most people don't. Only the chosen ones.

I believe Trevorrow was winking and kicking the interviewer while making those statements.

Violently?

I saw this movie now. Save for the BIRDS-inspired scene with the flying dinosaurs attacking the visitors it's a chore to it through. The Giacchino wasn't very noticeable, still like his main theme.

I saw this movie now. Save for the BIRDS-inspired scene with the flying dinosaurs attacking the visitors it's a chore to it through. The Giacchino wasn't very noticeable, still like his main theme.

But it is so mediocre!

It's transcendent! Trevorrow said so!

That's not what I read between the lines. It clearly suggested "mediocre" to me.

It's a nice theme.

I don't want nice, I want transcendent!

Salieri, the patron saint of mediocrity would approve of the Jurassic World theme!