Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World (2015)

Sweetmeats

I had a feeling and a pretty good blueprint of the film in my head from just listening to the score. Yes summer blockbusters are predictable, but I literally had all the major plot points in my head and I was completely right. Giacchino is a very very good musical storyteller. He tells a very clear and fun story with his music and Jurassic World is no different. Once you figure out what goes to what theme wise, it's musical storytelling at its finest.

Are you sure? Listen to these timestamps again, all of them. There's no way these are all the same theme!

InGen Theme

05 Clearly His First Rodeo 1:52-2:06

09 Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus 3:23-3:42

12 Love in the Time of Pterosauria 0:50-1:02

20 Jurassic World Suite 6:28-7:20, 7:50-8:48

Owen's Theme

06 Owen You Nothing 0:13-1:13

07 Indominus Wrecks 0:13-0:34

13 Chasing the Dragons 0:22-0:53 (action variant)

20 Jurassic World Suite 11:15-12:41

24 Sunrise O'er Jurassic World

Hmm.. you're partly right here. I must have missed the statement in Indominus Wrecks.

These are my revisions:

InGen Theme

13 Chasing the Dragons 0:22-0:53

20 Jurassic World Suite 6:28-7:20, 7:50-8:48, 11:15-12:41

Owen's Theme

So as someone who was never a fan of the original Jurassic Park (movie or score)...

Hearing Giacchino and JW side by side in bits and snippets, Giacchino's fun romp soundscape fits the universe better I think.

Williams' stately music sounds like Nelson Tyrannosaurus Mandela Rex is coming to save the park from dinopartheid.

It's a fucking amusement park, get your head out of your ass and have some fun!

Point me to one cue on Gia's effort which is as good as T-Rex Rescue and Finale or even High Wire Fucking Stunts. Now.

I'd rather listen to Raptor Your Heart Out.

Or "Rescuing Sarah." Even John Williams himself did Jurassic Park better with "The Lost World," which remains the best Jurassic score. It's almost like he realized he was scoring giant ancient reptiles, instead of a feel-good political costume drama featuring the trials and tribulations of lizard people. :P

The gentle rolling pastoral music in "Welcome to Jurassic Park" really gets me every time, Quintus. I can see papa lizard winding his way to our farmhouse to tell us that he is running for Lizard President, while Mama lizard plows the soil in the background. *sniff*

Does that constitute as a "3 way catfat" does it, Karol? Oh you homos and your big dramas! Bless.

...so...you've turned into a homophobe!

Does that constitute as a "3 way catfat" does it, Karol? Oh you homos and your big dramas! Bless.

It's two-way already. Blume alrady chimed in. And GK likes to watch first.

Karol

Giacchino certainly is nowhere near "hack" level.

It's of course tiresome when people try to make him into a messiah, and he's not had the glittering and spotless career without slumps and clinkers that some people demand - but who has? Not even Willliams.

He's a talented guy who has managed to make quite a name for himself through that ability and cultivation of some impressive working relationships. And he has to show for it a sizable catalog of music - music that he wrote, that he conjured out of thin air through sheer craft and thought, and which is heard by millions around the planet. No need to mention his Oscar, I'm sure, since we're all fashionably dubious about the importance of such things.

No I don't think he's a hack, nope.

But of course it'll always be impossible for some of us to let go of our nostalgia and the things that defined our own lives at critical moments and accept that new faces come along who may do for many youngsters what the older generation did for us. I for one am glad to have guys like Giacchino to provide such a chance for my own children. Should their eyes and ears light up in the theater tomorrow, I'll be more than amused to once again recall the notion that the man is a hack. At the same time, I'll wonder what, exactly, those who level such criticisms have to show for themselves on such a level.

Giacchino certainly is nowhere near "hack" level.

It's of course tiresome when people try to make him into a messiah, and he's not had the glittering and spotless career without slumps and clinkers that some people demand - but who has? Not even Willliams.

He's a talented guy who has managed to make quite a name for himself through that ability and cultivation of some impressive working relationships. And he has to show for it a sizable catalog of music - music that he wrote, that he conjured out of thin air through sheer craft and thought, and which is heard by millions around the planet. No need to mention his Oscar, I'm sure, since we're all fashionably dubious about the importance of such things.

No I don't think he's a hack, nope.

But of course it'll always be impossible for some of us to let go of our nostalgia and the things that defined our own lives at critical moments and accept that new faces come along who may do for many youngsters what the older generation did for us. I for one am glad to have guys like Giacchino to provide such a chance for my own children. Should their eyes and ears light up in the theater tomorrow, I'll be more than amused to once again recall the notion that the man is a hack. At the same time, I'll wonder what, exactly, those who level such criticisms have to show for themselves on such a level.

Not only are you content to have your children brought up on film music of lesser quality, but you can also sleep soundly tonight safe in the knowledge that there's an Orson Welles gif clapping somewhere out there, just for you. Gia is probably weeping over this fine display of support, good work.

It's like when someone here whose views you can't stand (naming no names!) suddenly voices their support or are in agreement with you when you are debating with another. Most annoying!

If there's one thing that's will weaken a carefully constructed argument it's the unwanted supported of a known idiot!

I love to be insulted by Quintus the Unflappable. It's a wonderful demonstration of his detached nature. He just doesn't care anymore! I'm just glad he can recognize bait and react accordingly.

Although most of the album's action music is subpar for Giachinno, I really love his main theme - it's actually my favorite of his this year, and that's saying something. It sounds so warm and inviting, it has really struck me. Absolutely love As The Jurassic World Turns - it's the standout cue for me.

I actually thought the action material was far better than average for Giacchino. Up there with JUPITER ASCENDING, THE INCREDIBLES and JOHN CARTER.

Certainly not the case for me. I'm usually a big fan of his action music, those three scores plus Star Trek, mission impossible 3 and Super 8 all have action music that I love.

The action in Jurassic World sounds very dull and boring to me - a lot of uninteresting ostinatos and basic brass hits. There ARE some good moments here and there but nothing as consistently entertaining as the action from Jupiter Ascending

I actually thought the action material was far better than average for Giacchino. Up there with JUPITER ASCENDING, THE INCREDIBLES and JOHN CARTER.

Indeed.

Ditto.

Does Owen's Theme (the one heard in tracks 6 and 7) appear anywhere else in the film?

Is this officially confirmed as Owen's theme? It's a really nice idea.

Are you sure? Listen to these timestamps again, all of them. There's no way these are all the same theme!

InGen Theme

Owen's Theme

13 Chasing the Dragons 0:22-0:53 (action variant)

20 Jurassic World Suite 11:15-12:41

24 Sunrise O'er Jurassic World

Hmm.. you're partly right here. I must have missed the statement in Indominus Wrecks.

These are my revisions:

InGen Theme

13 Chasing the Dragons 0:22-0:53

20 Jurassic World Suite 6:28-7:20, 7:50-8:48, 11:15-12:41

Owen's Theme

Agreed. The more rhythmic theme from "Chasing the Dragons" is a different idea altogether I believe.

The rhythmic idea in "Chasing The Dragons" and toward the end of the suite (the one that appeared in a clip from the recording sessions that Giacchino posted on Instagram) represent Owen's team of raptors. The rhythm appears once or twice in other places earlier in the film.

I saw the film earlier today, and I absolutely loved it! I had already warmed up to Giacchino's score, and after seeing it in the film, it fits very well. There are some neat cues missing, the one I noticed most being a cue that plays

when the InGen team takes off in the helicopter and shoots at the I-Rex right before crashing into the dimorphodon cage, as seen in the trailer.

It was a catchy action cue, mostly angklung and piano, if I recall correctly. It sounded very Lost-ish, in a good way.

I would rather have had more actual cues than the source music (like the three tracks they cut, or that cue I mentioned above), but I guess that leaves them something to release in a deluxe edition some day down the road.

Overall, I really like this score! I'll have to give it another day or two to decide if I like it more than Tomorrowland.

Just saw the film. There's definitely a theme for the raptors, the ostinato that's on the ost a bunch.

There's a ton of good unreleased music. The ost is really poorly assembled. You get 57 minutes of film cues, then 20 minutes of wasted space for the suite and source music. Those 20 minutes should have gone to more actual film cues.

There's some great stuff when the kids enter the old visitor center, some great action cues, some great versions of the ACU theme...Bah.

Too bad being Universal we may never get a complete score release...

Read my post more carefully! I said there "may never", not "will never"! Come on!

Anyways, I said that because the first three films haven't yet, and because Universal seems to hoard their big properties for their own label instead of letting the specialty labels work on them, but then not do it properly themselves.

At this point I've completely given up on trying to enjoy Giacchino's scores. I like some of his older ones well enough, but it's just not working for me. I hope he doesn't get anywhere near a Star Wars film...

The first major use of Williams' theme was a misstep, it did not fit the sequence at all. It felt very forced and at odds with what I was seeing.

The inGen/military theme was something I'd expect to hear in a comedy. Giacchino's main themes didn't work for me in their big moments.

The only two effective uses of Williams' music for me were in the sequence at the ruins of the old visitor's center and at the end when the T-Rex is set loose.

Right I'm going to listen later.

At this point I've completely given up on trying to enjoy Giacchino's scores. I like some of his older ones well enough, but it's just not working for me. I hope he doesn't get anywhere near a Star Wars film...

But I'll be surprised if I don't agree with Joe.

There's some great stuff when the kids enter the old visitor center, some great action cues, some great versions of the ACU theme...Bah.

ACU theme?
What I called the In-Gen Theme is the ACU Theme (Animal Containment Unit). Basically In-Gen are the security force on the island, keeping everyone safe from the Dinos. The theme is used when the ACU is out with their guns and when the In-Gen folk are doing their In-Gen things. It also represents Hoskins (The In-Gen head of security).

ACU theme?
What I called the In-Gen Theme is the ACU Theme (Animal Containment Unit). Basically In-Gen are the security force on the island, keeping everyone safe from the Dinos. The theme is used when the ACU is out with their guns and when the In-Gen folk are doing their In-Gen things. It also represents Hoskins (The In-Gen head of security).

Cool thanks, haven't seen the movie yet obviously.

Just saw the film. There's definitely a theme for the raptors, the ostinato that's on the ost a bunch.

There's a ton of good unreleased music. The ost is really poorly assembled. You get 57 minutes of film cues, then 20 minutes of wasted space for the suite and source music. Those 20 minutes should have gone to more actual film cues.

Too bad being universal we may never get a complete score release...

Is it just me or does some material from suite actually appears in the film? I'm talking specifically about the action passage around 4:00 mark (more or less) when kids are driving. It's a very similar bit.

Karol

I do not recall if the exact recording of the suite was tracked into the film, but since Giacchino wrote it first it makes sense passages could be used in film cues, like the Khan and Marcus material in STID. So that part you heard could be because of that, or perhaps the original cue didn't work and suite material was tracked in. Who knows.

OK, some other updates on the score:

-As far as I could tell, both the theme introduced at the start of track 1 and the theme introduced at the start of track 4 represent the Indominus Rex exclusively, so I'll just call them the A and B theme for her.

-I don't like leeallen's name "InGen Theme" for that theme. It doesn't represent InGen as a corporation or anything. At first while watching the movie I thought of it as the ACU Theme (Animal Containment Unit), but really I've decided to call it "Hoskins' Theme" because its used for him as well as all the things that happen because of him. It's used in a martial setting for the ACU gearing up and heading out, for example, because of him being there and his plan to try to weaponize the raptors. So that's that.

-Yes, clearly the theme that ends the suites and gets a workout in Chasing The Dragons is a theme for Owen's Raptors and is unrelated to the Hoskins theme and the Owen theme. And I found its in Costa Rican Standoff, too!

-I think the theme in "Owen You Nothing" is not a personal theme for Owen, but a theme for Owen and Claire; The track "Owen You Nothing" is for that long scene they have together that was shown as the first clip from the film. Also, when it plays in the next track is I think when they are in the I-Rex room together. Oddly, though, I don't think it recurred when they kiss, or when they end up together at the end.

-The usage of The Lost World theme for the raptor showing up at the end made no sense to me. Just a random thing to throw in, I guess.

-Does anyone remember what was happening on screen when the raptor theme from his video game score was used?

-The usage of The Lost World theme for the raptor showing up at the end made no sense to me. Just a random thing to throw in, I guess.

Think of it as a "death of Obi-Wan" sort of moment. It is an emotional pay off, not a dramatic one. John Williams material represents the old school, as opposed to Giacchino's new era. Makes sense to me in this particular sequnce.

Two heroic moments for T-Rex (fanfare) and Raptor (TLW theme) to counteract the Indominus.

Karol

OK, that makes sense!

So here's my updated list then, thoughts?

Indominus Rex
01 Bury The Hatching 0:07-0:35 A Theme
04 As The Jurassic World Turns 0:00-0:40 B Theme
07 Indominus Wrecks 0:55-1:43 B Theme
07 Indominus Wrecks 3:21-3:27 B Theme
07 Indominus Wrecks 4:51-5:01 A Theme
13 Chasing The Dragons 2:03-2:12 A Theme
15 Costa Rican Standoff 3:16-3:23 A Theme
20 Jurassic World Suite 0:00-3:14 B Theme
20 Jurassic World Suite 3:38-4:10 A Theme
20 Jurassic World Suite 4:34-5:17 A Theme

Family
02 The Family That Strays Together 0:06-1:00
09 Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus 0:20-0:36
10 Fits and Jumpstarts 0:13-0:42
12 Love in the Time of Pterosauria 4:08-4:30
18 Nine to Survival Job 0:31-1:20 (modified)
20 Jurassic World Suite 9:23-11:13 (modified)

Main Theme
04 As the Jurassic World Turns 0:57-1:49
05 Clearly His First Rodeo 2:13-3:00, 3:00-3:28 (B Section)
08 Gyrosphere of Influence 0:07-0:43, 1:07-1:30 (B Section)
09 Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus 1:57-3:06
10 Fits and Jumpstarts 1:09-1:13
11 The Dimorphodon Shuffle 1:40-1:50
14 Raptor Your Heart Out 2:35-2:45
16 Our Rex is Bigger than Yours 0:25-0:51
17 Growl and Make Up 0:30-1:14
18 Nine to Survival Job 0:15-0:31 (B Section), 1:40-2:33
19 The Park is Closed 0:20-1:38

Owen’s Raptors
05 Clearly His First Rodeo 0:51-1:24
13 Chasing the Dragons 0:07-1:28
14 Raptor Your Heart Out 2:45-3:12 (ostinato only)
15 Costa Rican Standoff 0:52-1:40
20 Jurassic World Suite 11:14-12:40

Vic Hoskins / Asset Containment Unit

Owen & Claire

Raptor Theme [from The Lost World: Jurassic Park (Game) Score]
14 Raptor Your Heart Out 1:41-1:57

John Williams themes:

Theme From Jurassic Park
03 Welcome To Jurassic World 0:00-0:38 (intro), 0:38-2:08
04 As The Jurassic World Turns 1:43-1:50
18 Nine To Survival Job 2:20-2:33
19 The Park is Closed 0:00-0:20

Island Theme
04 As The Jurassic World Turns 5:00-5:30
15 Costa Rican Standoff 4:25-end

Theme From The Lost World
16 Our Rex is Bigger than Yours 1:50-1:56

-Does anyone remember what was happening on screen when the raptor theme from his video game score was used?

Was it when the raptor was trying to claw at Barry (Owen's partner) through the tree trunk? That was when the track was playing, but I'm not sure if it was specifically that moment.

So here's my updated list then, thoughts?

Looks good to me.

It was when

the Raptor started chasing the ambulance (well, I think it was an ambulance) Claire was driving.