Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World (2015)

Sweetmeats

Pictures from the scoring sessions!

http://scoringsessions.com/news/292/

Within, 2 new slate and cue names are revealed:

1M05S The Hammond Lab Overture

2M18S The Mosasaurus Rhapsody

So now we know
1M1 Bury The Hatchling
1M2
1M4A
1M4B Welcome to Jurassic World (Composed by John Williams, adapted by Michael Giacchino, orchestrated by Peter Boyer)
1M05S The Hammond Lab Overture (orchestrated by Mark Gasbarro)
1M6-9 Does This Dino Make Jurassic Look Big? (orchestrated by Tim Simonec)
1M7S It's A Small Jurassic World (orchestrated by Chad Seiter)
1M10 As the Jurassic World Turns (orchestrated by Tim Simonec)
2M13 Glorified Petting Zoo (orchestrated by Tim Simonec)
2M18S The Mosasaurus Rhapsody (orchestrated by Mark Gasbarro)
2M19-20 Indominus Wrecks
3M24-25 Come Hell Or High Slaughter
3M29S The Jimmy Fallon Serenade (Composed by Mick Giacchino, orchestrated by Jeff Kryka)
4M35-36 Insert Pavane for a Dead Apatasaurus
4M39a
5M43
5M43 ALT INS
5M44
5M46
5M47a
6M60 ALT The Teeth Degree
6M61 Our Rex is Bigger Than Yours (orchestated by Tim Simonec)
7M64 The Park Is Closed (orchestrated by Tim Simonec)
Jurassic World Suite

The very end of the end credits stated

"

The Jimmy Fallon Serenade
Sunrise O'er Jurassic World

Written by Mick Giacchino

"

I've only listened to the source cues once (i found them very boring) so I have no clue which ones were used in the film where. I'm sure some of them only appear partially and at a quiet volume.

Anyways, I think more than one OST track contains multiple cue together.

Theme From Jurassic Park

18 Nine To Survival Job 2:20-2:33

Are you sure about this one? Because in that case, wouldn't "As the Jurassic World Turns" also contain the JP theme, at 1:43? It's the exact same musical material leading up to it, as well. Honestly, I think it's just a simple three-note motif hinting at the larger JP theme; not sure it warrants being classified as an actual appearance of the theme. Either way, if "Nine to Survival Job" is going to be listed, "As the Jurassic World Turns" should be, also.

Well, as I said before, Giacchino's main theme uses bits of Williams theme in some grander passages. So yeah, it sort of counts.

Karol

Yeah, my point—if anything—is that "As the Jurassic World Turns" should also be in that list for the main JP theme. If "Nine to Survival Job" fits the criteria, then so does that.

Theme From Jurassic Park

Are you sure about this one? Because in that case, wouldn't "As the Jurassic World Turns" also contain the JP theme, at 1:43? It's the exact same musical material leading up to it, as well. Honestly, I think it's just a simple three-note motif hinting at the larger JP theme; not sure it warrants being classified as an actual appearance of the theme. Either way, if "Nine to Survival Job" is going to be listed, "As the Jurassic World Turns" should be, also.

After seeing the film, I am positive that this instance in Nine To Survival Job is a deliberate quote of the JP theme; It plays as the T-Rex is about to roar, purposely ending early to not be drowned out by the roar sound effects.

So therefore, sure, I think the 1:43 instance in As The Jurassic World Turns is deliberate, as well.

~

From the FSM thread:

Did anyone notice Giacchino pays a wonderful homage to Williams Raiders motif from the Desert Chase sequence from RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK in the truck raptor chase sequence. It made me smile and perhaps the best homage to both Spielberg and Williams.

Does anyone know what he's talking about?

The music for the truck chase isn't on the OST, right? It would be between Love and the Time of Pterosauria and Chasing The Dragons if it was?

Is the truck chase cue not Raptor Your Heart Out? I recognised its rendition of the main theme during the movie

Is Chasing The Dragons the scene were Owen is riding his bike through the jungle with the raptors?

Oh, right! I had some scenes mixed up in my head. Yea, that track is probably that scene!

Anyways, there's nothing Desert Chase -ish in there, is there?

Theme From Jurassic Park

After seeing the film, I am positive that this instance in Nine To Survival Job is a deliberate quote of the JP theme; It plays as the T-Rex is about to roar, purposely ending early to not be drowned out by the roar sound effects.

So therefore, sure, I think the 1:43 instance in As The Jurassic World Turns is deliberate, as well.

And 3:49, too. ;)

Karol

Hmm I dunno about that

He does the same thing with the final two cues. He resolves his themes with a couple of notes of Williams' main theme. You listed those.

Karol

Oh and Williams' main theme also makes a cameo in The Park is Closed at 1:21. Again, same thing.

It's interesting that Giacchino only does that four times on the album.

Karol

Oh, right! I had some scenes mixed up in my head. Yea, that track is probably that scene!

Anyways, there's nothing Desert Chase -ish in there, is there?

I was playing close attention to the score in the movie but didn't hear anything like that. There are a lot of Williams references in the score but they are all contained within the JP franchise. A nod to an Indy score seems a bit too random, especially when the only thing the two scenes have in common is a truck!

I liked that haunting piano version of the JP theme when the kids enter the old visitor centre. Would have preferred that on the OST than all the source cues.

Agreed! That's a big highlight of the unreleased music for sure!

Oh and Williams' main theme also makes a cameo in The Park is Closed at 1:21. Again, same thing.

OK, I'll buy that one.

I'm not hearing what you hear at 3:49 of As The Jurassic World Turns, though

I hear some notes that are similar to the Jurassic Park theme... but aren't the Jurassic Park theme.

Well, of course, but this one is interesting, because it explains the disappearing Does This Dino Make Jurassic Look Big? track from the old tracklist.

Could "Clearly His First Rodeo" OST track contain both "Clearly His First Rodeo" + "Glorified Petting Zoo"?

Could "Costa Rican Standoff" contain both "Costa Rican Standoff" + "The Teeth Degree"?

At 2:06 in Raptor Your Heart Out, it does share similarities to a few moments in the Desert Chase sequence. I hear no direct quotes, but tiny moments at 1:57 and 2:06 do remind me heavily of Williamsisms.

I hear no direct quotes, but tiny moments 2:06 do remind me heavily of Williamsisms.

IMHO that bit sounds like a Giacchinoism.

Well, of course, but this one is interesting, because it explains the disappearing Does This Dino Make Jurassic Look Big? track from the old tracklist.

Could "Clearly His First Rodeo" OST track contain both "Clearly His First Rodeo" + "Glorified Petting Zoo"?

Could "Costa Rican Standoff" contain both "Costa Rican Standoff" + "The Teeth Degree"?

I'm almost certain Clearly His First Rodeo contains that petting zoo cue

yup, exactly. I adore his main theme so I remember it occurring during that petting zoo scene as per the latter half of "His First Rodeo"

I was surprised to hear the statement of Williams' island theme start during some dialog scene. When listening to the OST, I expected it to start as a helicopter flies over a vista or some equally awe inspiring shot of Isla Nublar.

2:06 in Raptor Your Heart Out and 3:22 in this video? I know they're different riffs but maybe someone thought they heard a similarity in the way he had the brass rise. I guess I am reaching too far to find a similarity. I didn't notice anything myself.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FVdRfnLPypE

At one point it was randomly drowned under the sound effects, if I recall correctly. It was treated almost as a piece of source music.

Karol

I was surprised to hear the statement of Williams' island theme start during some dialog scene. When listening to the OST, I expected it to start as a helicopter flies over a vista or some equally awe inspiring shot of Isla Nublar.

Yeah, and fanfare also starts at the very strange moment.

Indeed. The Williams' themes were oddly placed in those opening scenes (the Welcome To Jurassic World one also didn't work for me).

I didn't like how Williams theme was continuing when the assistant was showing them their hotel room. Felt very wrong. Like sticking his Superman Theme in while Clark brushes his teeth.

Funny you say that, I just read the following comment on an Irish film forum

"When the [original] theme music started playing - the music that is so awe inspiring and wondrous in the original film that you knew something amazing was happening on screen - and the scene it was playing for was two kids on a train, then two kids walking down a hall, then two kids in a hotel room...then finally a long distance shot of a theme park...I was like..."Really?!"

Not impressed."

I have to agree.

Amen!

If anything, Jurassic World has increased my appreciation for Jurassic Park. Williams' theme, on the surface, seems rather simple, but there's such an air of refinement and harmonic sophistication that you can't help but appreciate. I guess without getting technical, everything just clicks. And that's probably because Williams so much time sketching and sculpting the right tune from it's melody right down to its cadences until he knows no other alternative would work as well. And that's more than can be said for any of the industry's current big composers.

I think JNH (My fanboyishness aside) can do similar things with his main themes. Signs for example is a perfect example of how to craft a theme to its full potential. 3 notes manages to be utilised for an entire film, much like Williams Jaws. Also Dinosaur is basically in my eyes a masterpiece of melody and ideas.

So am I the only one who can hear it then?

Karol

I know what you're talking about, but it's not quite the same. You'll note that 1:34 and 3:40 in "As the Jurassic World Turns" and 2:12 in "Nine to Survival Job" all begin the same chord progression buildup that occurs before the three-note JP theme reference.

However, the buildup beginning at 3:40 in the former doesn't count, as the culminating three-note motif goes in a different direction. Where normally the lower, middle note would dip back up to form the JP motif, here at 3:49 it continues to descend. Does that make sense? You're right in hearing the same harmonic context between those spots, but one is not like the others.

I know it's different but don't composer often bend lines like this?

I mean, Dovchenko's theme from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has a different shape almost every time it appears.

Karol

There's not much you can do with a three-note motif, though. I mean, how much can you change something so small before it's unrecognizable? If you change one note in a three-note theme, it's already a third different. That's a pretty good amount. I would bet you that if the preceding same chord progression buildup wasn't there (which let's not forget is not part of the JP theme), and those three notes were out of context, you would not hear those three descending notes and all of a sudden think that it's a JP reference. I mean, if that were a JP reference, one could go so far as to say that even Giacchino's main theme is a "variation" as well, because it is an ascending set of three notes, the converse of this descending set that's heard at 3:49.

On the other hand, if it was the entire JP theme we were talking about here, and Giacchino simply changed a couple notes to spice things up, then I'd say it was a variation. But in this instance, the downward notes actually act as a pickup into a new melodic section. Listen to it starting right there, without the preceding chord progression, and you may hear what I mean. But I think it's a bit of a stretch to hear three downward notes and somehow associate that with the JP theme. Just my two cents.

I can understand all you're saying, mate. And, on a purely technical level, you're right. I can hear that it's not the same. But let's not forget that Giacchino is doing a Jurassic Park score and in different cues he quotes first three notes of WIlliams theme at the exacy same spot (three other instances, to be exact). It's not inconceivable that this altered motif is also a reference to a specific theme. After all, the entire theme by Giacchino represent an extension of John Hammonds dream, doesn't it? Thus, an extension of John Williams' legacy. Seems quite logical and probable to me. :)

And hey, he alters the ending of Lost World theme, too! It's not exactly the same as Williams! And yes, I know it's a longer idea. Slightly. ;)

And, shock horror, he does the same with JP fanfare in Costa Rican Standoff!

Karol