Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World (2015)

Sweetmeats

Anthony, not sure why you think things would be out of order

OST 01 Bury The Hatchling = 1M1 Bury The Hatchling

OST 02 The Family That Strays Together = probably 1M2

OST 03 Welcome To Jurassic World = 1M4B Welcome To Jurassic World

OST 04 As The Jurassic World Turns = 1M6-9 Does This Dino Make Jurassic Look Big + 1M10 As The Jurassic World Turns

OST 05 Clearly His First Rodeo = ?M? Clearly His First Rodeo + 2M13 Glorified Petting Zoo

I am obviously getting cue names confused then.

On an unrelated note, I made a cool suite.

0:00 - Jurassic Park theme
2:10 - Indominus Rex theme
3:07 - Jurassic World theme
4:04 - Island theme (from Jurassic Park)
4:52 - InGen/Hoskins theme
7:09 - Family theme
8:28 - Owen’s raptor squad theme

FYI for those hoping for unreleased music from any of the 4 scores in the LEGO game:

There isn't any.

The original trilogy levels feature original score by Rob Westwood, with 4 John Williams OST tracks used at times: "Theme from Jurassic Park, "Journey to the Island", "T-Rex Rescue and Finale", and "Malcolm's Journey".

The Jurassic World levels of the game feature an original score by Chad Seiter, using Giacchino's themes. If this score is half as good as his Star Trek game score, I want it!

Special thanks to a certain "guest" for sharing this information with me :)

Ok, here are my thoughts in theme quotations,

Definately the jurassic world main theme has the 2nd, 3rd and 4th notes of the jruassic park main theme, there is no arguing that...

Second, the williams main theme concert version opens with the carnivore motif, doesnt it?. So it appears in the film somehow.. ;)

The game raptor theme, i think that was longer i the film? When the raptor is attacking owens friend inside the treetrunk

Other, there was the opening rythm of lost world theme in the film, when blue jumps on indomimnous, i think the ost has choir in that part and the film didnt, but the ost doesnt sound so much like it...but i think i heard it in the film...

And finally, costa rican standoff (1:55-2:17) contains the brass hits from rescuing sarah (1:13-1:21), albeit slightly modified, or maybe from the raptors reappear. It sound familiar nevertheless.

I still don't get what the suite track is all about. Feels like a Youtube type of compilation rather than a composed piece of music. Don't get me wrong, I like the material it's comprised of. But it just doesn't feel too coherent. And, again, I'm pretty sure some action material in the middle appeared in the scene when kids are driving (or somewhere in that section).

Karol

About the island theme and its akward placement...doesnt it start when they pass the original landing pad waterfall, and then we get the conversation continuing...

The apatosaurus scene contained williams music not on the ost, right? I think it was when claire saw the animal. It was the petticoat lane reference, i think.

Second, the williams main theme concert version opens with the carnivore motif, doesnt it?. So it appears in the film somehow.. ;)

Actually it opens with the island theme!

I prefer Don Davis' Jurassic Park /// score.

The Williams island fanfare with chorus in The Hat Returns is better than anything Giacchino has ever done.

The main detractor about Davis' JP3 score is that he leans a bit too much on Williams' themes. The score is very good though, and it would've been interesting to see how Davis would've scored Jurassic World.

JW could've been spotted better, especially Giacchino's application of Williams' theme earlier in the film. I do think Giacchino and Colin Trevorrow had the right idea: new park and new characters, so new score for the most part.

Forgive me if this was already listed, but the "Sunrise O'er Jurassic World" track seems to briefly play right when the kids get on the Gyrosphere ride. Noticed it today. I previously was unsure of its placement in the film.

I prefer Don Davis' Jurassic Park /// score.

The Williams island fanfare with chorus in The Hat Returns is better than anything Giacchino has ever done.

I'd also like to say that Davis' theme blends seamlessly into Williams' fabric. Giacchino's theme doesn't belong into the same universe.

I have to say, when I got the OST for this the other night, I was not impressed. The brass sounded pretty overdone (like, all of each instrument are in unison most of the time, though this could very well be more Tim Simonec's fault than Giacchino's). This seems to be a common thread with Gia scores, which often at first takes some getting used to, for me at least. And something about the way his scores are mic-ed can be very off-putting. Sometimes sounds like you're listening to it underwater.

However, after several days of listening, I can say it's all really grown on me. His "family theme" is now among my favorite sentimental Gia themes, and the theme for Owen and the raptors is loads of fun. Hoskins' theme is also a highlight, for me. (Its' first appearance brings to mind some of JW's music for INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE.) Ironically, the one theme I had the most difficult time getting into was his main theme. It just felt way too simple, almost lazily written, and... I don't know. Just not his best. I also felt like the JW Island Journey theme was pretty badly shoehorned on the end of "As the Jurassic World Turns". Just seemed pretty random and out of place (though I must say the trombones have never sounded so good in that section of the tune).

I went and saw the film today, and can honestly say that I've more or less been completely convinced: Gia's score fits perfectly. The family theme is haunting and beautiful, and hearing the I-Rex theme with the Universal logo at the beginning gave me chills. Oh, and the usage of the Island Journey theme actually made sense, in context. As others have said here, there is sadly quite a lot of music missing from the OST album. Which is really a bummer since I think it's unlikely we'll get an expanded/complete release anytime soon. Thankfully there were a few more JW theme references in the film, all of which worked perfectly, but again, I wish we got these on the album. Gia has once again proved himself to be one of the more talented composers working in the industry these days; he really seems to get the movies he writes for. Even when I go in with lowered expectations, he (so far) manages to deliver.

All that being said, however, I can't help but feel that Gia has more-or-less plateaued in recent times. I remember the days, several years back, when I actually bought into the whole "This guy is the next John Williams" thing. But that seems to have changed, at least for now, and he seems to be going the more standard run-of-the-mill scoring route. Which is very sad, considering how brilliant some of his former scores are (a few that come to mind being UP, the MEDAL Of HONOR series, SECRET WEAPONS OVER NORMANDY, THE INCREDIBLES, and RATATOUILLE); he really has a lot of untapped potential, IMO. It's just a shame that he still hasn't really learned how to write a piano melody that involves more than one finger at a time. Or that his brass writing sounds like a bunch of guys blowing their brains out on unison licks, when Williams can get his point across (still more powerfully) with only one guy to a part. I miss the Americana-infused Gia of SECRET WEAPONS OVER NORMANDY. If any sort of Gia is to ever take over Williams' longstanding STAR WARS gig, it's that Gia. But as sad as it is to say, it is not the Gia of JURASSIC WORLD.

Number 1: his theme isn't "modern", it's just worse.

Number 2: if he was instructed to be "modern", why does it sound like any other music he does?

Number 3: a director who lets him use Williams' themes, and sneak in parts of his own video game score, doesn't want to sound "modern", and doesn't micromanage to this extent.

Giacchino isn't more modern, just way duller.

Soooo has the Jurassic Park franchise become the Harry Potter franchise in terms of the scores, where John Williams starts the ball rolling and the new composers come in writing music that might be good on its own but just doesn't fit the continuum?

Soooo has the Jurassic Park franchise become the Harry Potter franchise in terms of the scores, where John Williams starts the ball rolling and the new composers come in writing music that might be good on its own but just doesn't fit the continuum?

But does the Jurassic Park franchise really need continuity like the Potter franchise? For the most part, they're stand-alone stories.

As far as I understand the new movie acts like the two previous sequels never happened.

It actually does. The new film is basically a direct sequel to the first movie that makes no references to the other two films - and therefore the entire existence of Isla Sorna - at all.

That they are not mentioned doesnt mean the sequels never happened....

Probably a way of evading shoehorning even more references....

Btw, there would be no reasonable way of mentioning jpiii. That probably got silenced by the government...oh i remenber now that the pteranodon incident was mentioned in the web page, so, it is referenced, just not in thefilm.

No conspiration theories...

Who knows maybe the sequel has the military ingen guys going to sorna. . .

That they are not mentioned doesnt mean the sequels never happened....

Probably a way of evading shoehorning even more references....

I think Pratt mentions in a recent interview om IMDB that this movie continues 22 years from where the first one left off so I guess they pretty much wanted direct continuation between the two without those sequels' events taken into consideration. Not that it means any of it didn't happen, they just don't reference it in anyway. And as far as I know they don't have much reason to do so anyway in this new story. Is Ian Malcolm or Alan Grant mentioned even once in this one?

FYI for those hoping for unreleased music from any of the 4 scores in the LEGO game:

There isn't any.

The original trilogy levels feature original score by Rob Westwood, with 4 John Williams OST tracks used at times: "Theme from Jurassic Park, "Journey to the Island", "T-Rex Rescue and Finale", and "Malcolm's Journey".

The Jurassic World levels of the game feature an original score by Chad Seiter, using Giacchino's themes. If this score is half as good as his Star Trek game score, I want it!

It was no secret - they haven't used actual movie score in most recent LEGO games (don't know about The Hobbit, but the last one I recall using music direct from the films was LEGO LOTR - LEGO Marvel, unlike LEGO Batman, didn't use any of the film scores, and I doubt LEGO Avengers will either). It's quite clearly marked in the end credits of each chapter of the game (you can earn some extra studs there because rather than just a credits roll you have a on-rails run with the T-Rex collecting studs through a forest). I'd love to hear more of Seiter's work on the music for this game, though. it sounds pretty good. Pity it seems Giacchino doesn't do games any more.

Anthony, not sure why you think things would be out of order

OST 01 Bury The Hatchling = 1M1 Bury The Hatchling

OST 02 The Family That Strays Together = probably 1M2

OST 03 Welcome To Jurassic World = 1M4B Welcome To Jurassic World

OST 04 As The Jurassic World Turns = 1M6-9 Does This Dino Make Jurassic Look Big + 1M10 As The Jurassic World Turns

OST 05 Clearly His First Rodeo = ?M? Clearly His First Rodeo + 2M13 Glorified Petting Zoo

What about the music at the end? That's all source music, so where would it be placed?

First I want to say that for this story, I don't think Jurassic World would even have a good reason to mention Sorna. If anyone recalls Jurassic Park 3, Sorna has become a preserve (just like Hammond wanted) and is protected by the government from anyone even visiting it (which they do illegally in JP3). So even if the park makers of Jurassic World wanted to get something out of Sorna, they would have to do it illegally anyway. And given how Masrani was part of a big corporation, beyond even the theme parks, I doubt he would have gone for that. Besides, they've got Dr. Wu. What would they possibly need from Sorna beyond some wild, untamed dinosaurs, when they can just make their own, with tags embedded in them, etc.? I'm just glad nothing in the film actually retconned those sequels.

Anyway, to answer above, if I recall, I think the "monorail" music may play in the scene after the Indominus is already out. When the kids are on the monorail after the breakout on their way to the Gyrosphere ride, when Gray (the little kid) is crying when he tells his brother how he "googled the lawyers" who were divorce lawyers (lol). Which then the scene turns into some cool unreleased Goldsmith-like music of the ACU driving down below the monorail, and Gray notices.

Sounds right.

I think I need to give the soundtrack a proper, full listen-through (in chronological order, of course), see if it imprints on me.

Yeah, that seems right to me, too. But man, I really want sessions for this one someday...

*starts lifting corner of floormats*

Any chance during awards season we could get some on the FYC site? But Universal usually just puts up the OST or select tracks, don't they?

When listening to Raptor Your Heart Out, I always expect 1:11 to launch into a massive statement of JP's carnivore motif. Always disappoints when it doesn't even though I know it won't happen.

ok, i think i finally found the Williams carnivore motif!

Gyrosphere of influence: 2:36-2:43

Or is it the intro of Jurassic park theme concert version?

Or are both the same?

Oh..i checked jay's timing for the game theme... and now i hear it! Cool!

I was only hearing the deep string swells from the game, associated more with the rex i think. at 0:50-0:53

So we now have the couple of nods giacchino mentioned in the interview.

There isn't any.

The game also uses "Welcome to Jurassic Park" from Jurassic Park when you walk around the park, but it's uncredited. The credits read:

"Journey to the Island" from Jurassic Park Performed by John Williams

"T-Rex Rescue & Finale" from Jurassic Park Performed by John Williams

"Malcom's Journey" from The Lost World: Jurassic Park Performed by John Williams

Score by Chad Seiter

Score Produced by Michael Giacchino

Original Music by Rob Westwood

There isn't any.

The game also uses "Welcome to Jurassic Park" from Jurassic Park when you walk around the park, but it's uncredited. The credits read:

"Malcom's Journey" from The Lost World: Jurassic Park Performed by John Williams

Score by Chad Seiter

Just like I said in the other thread ;)

There isn't any.

Score by Chad Seiter

Just like I said in the other thread ;)

Sorry, missed that.

does rob westwood use williams themes?

No, he doesn't.

I've rarely heard a steeper drop off in quality than at the 0:20 mark of "The Park Is Closed", where Williams' theme segues into Giacchino's. It's clearly meant to be an extension, but it's heartbreaking. The declining state of film music doesn't get any clearer than this juxtaposition of Williams' sublime simplicity against Jurassic World's neo classical boredom.

I've rarely heard a steeper drop off in quality than at the 0:20 mark of "The Park Is Closed", where Williams' theme segues into Giacchino's. It's clearly meant to be an extension, but it's heartbreaking.

Yep.

I think Williams material works only when quoted in brief snippets. Like the last two action tracks and as a part of Giacchino's theme.

Karol

I was just humming the fanfare for when the T-Rex destroys the Spino skeleton, and I got it mixed with When You're All Alone from Hook.

Anyone else hear the similarity?

I think Williams material works only when quoted in brief snippets. Kike the last two action tracks and as a part of Giacchino's theme.

Karol

:D

Yep, John Williams' material only work in brief snippets.

It works when the surrounding material was closer in style and quality, and not so exceedingly mediocre. At least in a score like Order of the Phoenix, Hooper succeeded in dragging Williams' theme down to his level.