Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World (2015)

Sweetmeats

Could anyone give me a description of the alternates that are now apparently available?

I'm quite curious to know which one are truly different and which ones are really very similar to their original versions.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

You can't just.. listen and find out?  There's only 4 of them

That takes time, which is something I'm always short on.

Plus I would need to listen to them not just once, but several times and while paying proper attention to be able to tell the differences.

It's half an hour of music, listening twice, backtracking and double-checking and that's easily 2 hours gone.

So if anyone who already knows can just tell me, that's far easier. Then I can use that information to set up the album how I want it before putting it on my iPod.

I normally only listen to music when it's on my iPod, but I want things to OK before I put it on there if at all possible.

half an hour?  What?

3m26 Mad Scientist Disease (Alt. Insert) (1:05)

4m33-34 Five is the Scariest Number (Alt. Insert) (0:09)
5m43 The Dimorphodon Shufflee (Alt. Insert) (0:18)
6m61 Our Rex is Bigger Than Yours (Alt. Insert) (0:29)

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

half an hour?  What?

3m26 Mad Scientist Disease (Alt. Insert) (1:05)

4m33-34 Five is the Scariest Number (Alt. Insert) (0:09)
5m43 The Dimorphodon Shufflee (Alt. Insert) (0:18)
6m61 Our Rex is Bigger Than Yours (Alt. Insert) (0:29)

I'm also wondering about what to do with:

The Park Is Closed/End Credits

Suite (Composer Sketch)

The Park Is Closed (all three alternates)

So to tell the difference, I'd need to listen to all those tracks as well as their non-alternate versions.

Come to think of it, that amounts to even more than half an hour. It's almost 42 minutes, in fact.

And I'd need to listen to them enough to become familiar with them so I could hear what is different.

As it is, I'm already very behind on my music-listening. Still need to find the chance to give the new and complete Jurassic Park a proper spin.

Unfortunately I never have much opportunity to listen to what I want and whenever I do,

it is often a few tracks here and there and, more often than not, in a noisy environment (public transport, etc.).

But at least I want to have it ready without unnecessary fluff so that when I do find the time,

I can just enjoy listening to it without having to study it to know how to "clean things up" to my own liking...

6 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I can just enjoy listening to it without having to study it to know how to "clean things up" to my own liking...

But if someone tells you what to do, than its not "to your liking", its some other guy's opinion

If you listen yourself, you can make your edit exactly how YOU want it.

the suite is the same as before, just with a new segment at the start

I think the inserts are just bits of music they put into the film versions of tracks

3 hours ago, Jay said:

But if someone tells you what to do, than its not "to your liking", its some other guy's opinion

If you listen yourself, you can make your edit exactly how YOU want it.

True. That's why I hoped to find out what is tracked and/or what is really different.

Then I can make my own choices based on that. :)

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I thought sailor's had nothing to do in those endless months on the sea?

Very, VERY not true. Holy crap, I cannot even begin to describe just how untrue that is! :blink:

Not that it matters. I don't even work at sea. Not anymore.

Another question occurred to me: Does anyone know which tracks contain John Williams' themes?

I know about:

"As the Jurassic World Turns"

"Suite"

"Our Rex Is Bigger Than Yours" (The Lost World theme)

"The Park Is Closed"

"Welcome to Jurassic World"

And I'd assume also "Ye Olde Visitor Center"

Any others by any chance?

On 2. Januar 2017 at 5:51 AM, Rose Dawson said:

You think there are enough Michael Gambino threads? This is a John Williams forum.

You think there is a reason for having General Discussion AND John Williams discussion?

On 1/3/2017 at 11:36 AM, Pieter_Boelen said:

I'm also wondering about what to do with:

The Park Is Closed/End Credits

That's just the final film edit of the final scene and end credits cobbled together by the music editor.  "The Park Is Closed" uses pieces of v1, v2, and v3 of the cue, while the end credits edit together pieces of the Suite and something else I forget now.  Essentially, there's no reason to keep this track.

Suite (Composer Sketch)

It's the same as the OST track, just with a minute long rendition of the main theme before the Indominous music starts, and a longer held note at another part. 

The Park Is Closed (all three alternates)

Well v1 is the OST version.  v2 features less choir and more piano, and v3 features even less choir and even more piano

On 1/3/2017 at 3:19 PM, Pieter_Boelen said:

Another question occurred to me: Does anyone know which tracks contain John Williams' themes?

I know about:

"As the Jurassic World Turns"

"Suite"

"Our Rex Is Bigger Than Yours" (The Lost World theme)

"The Park Is Closed"

"Welcome to Jurassic World"

And I'd assume also "Ye Olde Visitor Center"

Any others by any chance?

John Williams music in the suite?  Where?

On 31/12/2016 at 8:04 AM, Jay said:

1M10 As The Jurassic World Turns
It’s Bigger Than Expected [ASCAP title, not in session leak but appears in the film]
1M11A Raptor Attention

Raptor attention contains the music of masrani and claire reviewing the indominus.

So... 'its bigger than expected' should be 1m11A. "Raptor attention" is completely misnamed, i think.

On 1/1/2017 at 4:27 PM, Richard Penna said:

JP3 is based on, I think, some sort of promo. I think in most cases it's got the final film version of Davis' material (such as the transition between Tiny Pecking Pteranodons and Billy Oblivion), before any tracking the film had (the start of the end credits is tracked from Brachiosaurus on the Bank).

What would make me nervous about the inevitable LLL edition is the intro to the cage sequence. I think it's library percussion, and while they would definitely feature Davis' music, would they include a version with the film cue? I once tried identifying that piece using a YouTube trick, but all sorts of things can hamper identification of library music via automated means (insufficient length, or edits/loops within the cue, are the two primary culprits).

After the release of complete TLW, i really think the pteraronodon intro could be tracked from "Ripples"?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Never realized that Giacchino does OST microediting! I'd always assumed that was basically a Williams-only thing for some reason!

Jay, one general question about music spreadsheets:

When I was making The BFG sheet, there was something that proved to be very tricky to deal with -- silence at the end of OST tracks. For instance, if there's a cue that is slightly microedited on the OST and appears in the film in complete form, it's still possible that when I time it in the film it will still be shorter than the OST - since the OST adds several seconds of silence at the end! There was actually an instance where this happened, IIRC, so I actually started timing based on where the music ended on the OST -- eliminating silence. I tried to roughly count how many seconds of silence there were and subtract that so it would be a more accurate comparison with the film.

I've noticed that you don't do that - you seem to include the silence in your OST times. Have you ever run into any problems because of this? Why do you do it that way (just because it's easier?)

1 hour ago, Lockdown said:

Watching the film currently, Claire said they wanted more teeth. I laughed, cause of the JP collection booklet...LOL

Well, it's the little kid who mentions that to her in the first instance...but yes, a sweet irony.....

3 hours ago, Jay said:

John Williams music in the suite?  Where?

Nowhere, as it turns out. I thought it was there, but apparently I got confused and only noticed my mistake once I finally managed to listen to the whole suite while paying proper attention.

That's what I get for trying to do to a lot of things at the same time....

33 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Well, it's the little kid who mentions that to her in the first instance...but yes, a sweet irony.....

Oh, I was referring when Claire mentions it in the very beginning of the film. But, yeah, he says it nearing when the Raptors are attacking the Indominus Rex.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Do I understand correctly that Mick Giacchino did only two of the source music tracks and not all of them?

Also, is there a list somewhere of all the spreadsheets you've made?

I might end up needing that at some point for future reference. :D

7 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

Oh, I was referring when Claire mentions it in the very beginning of the film. But, yeah, he says it nearing when the Raptors are attacking the Indominus Rex.

then you got me, my mistake :)

50 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Do I understand correctly that Mick Giacchino did only two of the source music tracks and not all of them?

Of course!  Says so right in the end credits of the film. 

Also, is there a list somewhere of all the spreadsheets you've made?

I might end up needing that at some point for future reference. :D

Not yet! 

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Raptor attention contains the music of masrani and claire reviewing the indominus.

So... 'its bigger than expected' should be 1m11A. "Raptor attention" is completely misnamed, i think.

I'm not sure I follow you. "It's Bigger Than Expected" is a very short cue that plays when Claire says those words. And that definitely happens in between As The Jurassic World Turns and Raptor Attention. 

10 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

After the release of complete TLW, i really think the pteraronodon intro could be tracked from "Ripples"?

you're half right

I checked the scene again and the music doesnt sound entirely the same until 1:33 in

the movie replaced the rest with the Indominus theme which, I think, was tracked from the suite

I guess the track is called that way since it talks about Owen at end and how he can see things due to his experience with raptors

(also the Pteranodon percussion doesnt sound the same to me as the Ripples percussion)

Don't blame me! I've spent ages grooming 14 year old Will online!

Wait! Did I say grooming? I didn't mean grooming...why did I say grooming?

I mean I was showing him the ropes. 

No wait, i mean I was letting him see whats what!

14 hours ago, Will said:

Jay, one general question about music spreadsheets:

When I was making The BFG sheet, there was something that proved to be very tricky to deal with -- silence at the end of OST tracks. For instance, if there's a cue that is slightly microedited on the OST and appears in the film in complete form, it's still possible that when I time it in the film it will still be shorter than the OST - since the OST adds several seconds of silence at the end! There was actually an instance where this happened, IIRC, so I actually started timing based on where the music ended on the OST -- eliminating silence. I tried to roughly count how many seconds of silence there were and subtract that so it would be a more accurate comparison with the film.

It sounds like you need to modify your process.  There shouldn't be any manual timing at all.  Here's the process:

1. Rip the audio track of the film out into its own audio file... If you have the ability, take the 5.1 or 7.1 mix file and make separate stereo files for the Fronts, Surrounds, and Rears (if 7.1)

2. Open the stereo file of your choice (I usually work from the Surrounds, but the Fronts generally sound better, but have more sound effects) in your WAV editor of choice (I bought Sony Sound Forge, but there are free ones such as Audacity).

3. Beginning listening to it.  In a spreadsheet, have 3 columns: Start Time, End Time, and Length.  Type the time that each cue starts in the Start column, and the time it ends in the End column, and have the Length column be an automatically generated column that is End Time minus Start Time.  Note that depending on your spreadsheet program, you might have to tinker with cell format properties to make sure your program recognizes it as a time and not text.  In my case, I use Google Sheets, and I have to pad the times with an extra 0: to make it all work.  So for example if the first cue starts 1 minutes and 2 seconds into the movie, I have to type in 0:01:02.  Anyways, if all you do is type in each cues start and end times and the length column autofills in, as soon as you get to the end of the movie you can SUM the Length column and know how much score is in the film.

4. Meanwhile, as you locate each cue, you can copy it and paste it into a new audio file, and open up the relevant OST track as well.  Tile your windows so you have both audio tracks open at once.  Now you can visually scan so see where they differ from each other.  Sometimes there will be more music in the film than the OST version, sometimes there will be more music in the OST version than the film version, and sometimes both happen at once.  What you're after is trying to figure out the length of Williams original composition, so somewhere - either a different column, or different tab of your spreadsheet or a whole other spreadsheet (IE a "public" one and not the "private" one you are notating all the start and end times with) - you need to try to figure all those out.  

For example, say you find a cue that runs 2:30 in the film, and its the same music as OST track 4, which runs 2:00.  Well the film version is longer so that's the ultimate length of the composition right?  Well maybe, but maybe not!  This is why you line the cues up.  You might observe that the film version skips over the music from 0:45-0:55 in the OST track (IE, the scene was shortened by 10 seconds after scoring), but then has a 40 second bit of music that was snipped out of the OST track at 1:15.  So the final length you want to say the composition is is actually 2:40, not 2:30, and you could notate that the full cue is OST 04 0:00-1:15 / Unreleased (0:40) / OST 04 1:15-end.  I hope that makes sense.

Anyways, that's my process, and I'm not saying its the best or anything, but it works for me!

14 hours ago, Will said:

I've noticed that you don't do that - you seem to include the silence in your OST times. Have you ever run into any problems because of this? Why do you do it that way (just because it's easier?)

For the OST times I simply copy and paste the Soundtrackcollector listing into the spreadsheet and use that.  I don't really manually time my own OST files.  It sounds like you're really worried about a few seconds here and there caused by differing silence lengths, but that doesn't really matter much.

Interesting, @Jay. I didn't realize a visual scan was often sufficient. Might speed up my process. 

I may try this with a cue or two from The BFG later. 

The visual scan helps you quickly locate where differences in music might be, but there's still a ton of listening required.

The really tricky stuff can be tracked music.  Sometimes I've listened to a cue a dozen times before realizing some chunk of the middle was actually tracked in from another cue (usually when both cues were not on the OST)

3 hours ago, Jay said:

3. Beginning listening to it.  In a spreadsheet, have 3 columns: Start Time, End Time, and Length.  Type the time that each cue starts in the Start column, and the time it ends in the End column, and have the Length column be an automatically generated column that is End Time minus Start Time.  Note that depending on your spreadsheet program, you might have to tinker with cell format properties to make sure your program recognizes it as a time and not text.  In my case, I use Google Sheets, and I have to pad the times with an extra 0: to make it all work.  So for example if the first cue starts 1 minutes and 2 seconds into the movie, I have to type in 0:01:02.  Anyways, if all you do is type in each cues start and end times and the length column autofills in, as soon as you get to the end of the movie you can SUM the Length column and know how much score is in the film.

I've tried several different formats but the times always automatically add AM. 

EDIT: Never mind, doesn't seem to be a problem!

One other question though @Jay: When calculating the start and stop times, do you try to pause the music as soon as you hear it, check the time, and round to the nearest second? Or do you do something more precise?

So, in other words, you do it roughly just based on what time you see when you hear the music start? You don't try to, I don't know, look at the waveform or anything for this step?

I'm not really sure I understand what you're asking.  I'm looking at the waveform the entire time, I mean its on the screen taking up the whole window.  When a cue starts, I might glance at the time, then rewind a bit and play it again until I can notate the exact right second it starts, but its not like a 1 second swing in either direction really makes a big difference.