Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World (2015)

Sweetmeats

Stop talking about this!

Hey, I didn't bring it back up to try to make some snide point about me being wrong, which I'm not. I'm a scoring stage aficionado, and WB happens to be my favorite. I'll discuss this at great length.

So they probably had to borrow 8 timpanis from the WB stage to bring into the Sony stage then?

We need a mockup of that pompous march! We got a whole 18 bars to work with!

So now we know

1m1

1m2

1m4a

1m4b Welcome to Jurassic World (Composed by John Williams, adapted by Michael Giacchino, orchestrated by Peter Boyer)

1m6-9 Does This Dino Make Jurassic Look Big?

1m7S It's A Small Jurassic World (orchestrated by Chad Seiter)

1m10 As the Jurassic World Turns (orchestrated by Tim Simonec)

3m24-25 Come Hell Or High Slaughter

3m29S The Jimmy Fallon Serenade (Composed by Mick Giacchino, orchestrated by Jeff Kryka)

5m43

5m43 ALT INS

5m44

5m46

5m47a

Well, the problem with that is the 1m4b page is just a straightforward presentation of the JP theme, and the 3m29s page just shows 6 non-consecutive bars....

You're wrong - he himself has only posted a couple pics. Most of the pics posted have been from other people

I can tell this score's going to be shit just looking at those notes. Motoric unison triplets. How boring.

He should try writing without meters or barlines, maybe.

I can tell this score's going to be shit just looking at those notes. Motoric unison triplets. How boring.

Yeah. That plus that little video snippet he posted of the score seems to be hinting at the dull conventional Gia repetitive motif-based writing.

Written in what seems like a month, and recorded in four days? For a 150 minute movie?

Yeah, pretty low expectations for this one. Definitely would've been a different story if he was given this assignment ten years ago and felt an obligation to impress not only Williams, but the film community at large. Now, Giacchino just seems like the melodic/orchestral equivalent of Zimmer's RC music factory.

Recorded over five days not four.

Maybe the film isn't that long and doesn't need a lot of score.

Recorded over five days not four.

Maybe the film isn't that long and doesn't need a lot of score.

Still seems short for a Jurassic Park movie. Reports are 2.5 hour duration, so you'd think there's at least 2 hours of score.

Written in what seems like a month, and recorded in four days? For a 150 minute movie?

Yeah, pretty low expectations for this one. Definitely would've been a different story if he was given this assignment ten years ago and felt an obligation to impress not only Williams, but the film community at large. Now, Giacchino just seems like the melodic/orchestral equivalent of Zimmer's RC music factory.

If only he could (well, we know he can from Lost) write a theme like Zimmer, it wouldn't be so bad.

While the (very short) clips do sound like Giacchino on auto-pilot, it's not fair to already assess the score as a failure. That being said, if the full score disappoints, I'll be fully against Giacchino scoring Star Wars (I'm only partially against it right now).

It's curious that so far it seems a gigantic let-down, considering how much Giacchino loves and respects the original material. My guess is that he was asked for a lot of ostinato, but I could be wrong.

It's curious that so far it seems a gigantic let-down, considering how much Giacchino loves and respects the original material. My guess is that he was asked for a lot of ostinato, but I could be wrong.

Well, it's still too early to tell, but I don't see that being the case.

It still sounds like this score will be rooted in Giacchino's traditional sound, but what few teases we've received has been pretty generic.

It's curious that so far it seems a gigantic let-down, considering how much Giacchino loves and respects the original material.

I love and respect the first 2 scores, that doesn't mean I could compose a good Jurassic Park score!

Giachino = lower your expectations

Bluhrmenkehrl's facetious statement about Giacchino is actually fairly accurate.

Giacchino is like McDonalds.

You'll never have an exceptional dining experience...but you'll also never have a terrible one. It is the safest bet, and the bathrooms are always clean.