Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World (2015)

Sweetmeats

If the saviour of many JWFaners can't even turn in a decent and spirited dinosaur soundtrack - with some original content by non other than JOHN WILLIAMS - then I'm sorry but those guys really do deserve the mocking they come in for by us others here who have been calling false prophet since day one. Because there is no excuse.

It sounds like Lost does it? And that's acceptable?

Ken Thorne didn't enjoy the unfounded hype this guy gets, but that didn't stop him from delivering a fun followup which slotted in just fine with the masterful original. Gia better damn well be capable of doing the same, or who exactly the hell is this guy you easily pleased lot all throw your knickers at?

No one ever did.

Horner has produced some stunning masterpieces. Something Gia has yet to do.

Of course they did and for good reason. While McDonald's might be a rather wimpy analogy in either case, Horner's reputation got tarnished fast after a rapturous start - but still, warts and all, my point was that Horner mediocrities still stand 100 feet tall above those of the gentleman in question.

We all know that. But Horner wasn't hired to compose music for JURASSIC WORLD, feeding the blockbuster fanboy trolls who lick up every tweet about #omg!jjabramsjustcameoverfromdubbingofTFA - the quality of the music, or better, the music/dramatic acumen going into it seemed never more beside the point than these days.

Didnt I create a Giacchino bashing thread?

I come to this thread for news about the film-score....

If the trend continues i think i'm going to end hating both film and score by June 12th!

Recorded over five days not four.

Maybe the film isn't that long and doesn't need a lot of score.

Still seems short for a Jurassic Park movie. Reports are 2.5 hour duration, so you'd think there's at least 2 hours of score.

Eh, no. While i would prefer a longer score, JP films do not neccessarily mean they have long scores. Both JP and JPIII fit in one 80 min CD. (a little overburned in the case of JPIII)

Ken Thorne didn't enjoy the unfounded hype this guy gets, but that didn't stop him from delivering a fun followup which slotted in just fine with the masterful original. Gia better damn well be capable of doing the same, or who exactly the hell is this guy you easily pleased lot all throw your knickers at?

Are we talking about Superman II?, a kind of score that would kill Giacchino definitively for his detractors: Practically no original material, just arrangement and orchestrating of Williams music, with a smaller orchestra?

Do you want a Superman II pulled for this film? Does that mean craftmanship?

It's not even the same park or characters anyway.

Didnt I create a Giacchino bashing thread?

I come to this thread for news about the film-score....

If the trend continues i think i'm going to end hating both film and score by June 12th!

Recorded over five days not four.

Maybe the film isn't that long and doesn't need a lot of score.

Still seems short for a Jurassic Park movie. Reports are 2.5 hour duration, so you'd think there's at least 2 hours of score.

Eh, no. While i would prefer a longer score, JP films do not neccessarily mean they have long scores. Both JP and JPIII fit in one 80 min CD. (a little overburned in the case of JPIII)

This film is supposedly half an hour longer than Jurassic Park, so I'd be expecting at least 20 more minutes than JP1 (which was about 80 IIRC).

TLW had at least 100 minutes of score, I think?

JP3 was scored almost wall-to-wall and that movie was only 90 minutes.

Happy to be corrected.

JNH had the big advantage of having a huge love/pet story that is the core of the story whereas JURASSIC WORLD looks like another escapist spectacle not about anything than some chase scenes. It's hard to give that musical puff.

That's a valid point. JNH had a great tragedy angle to play off in the score.

And yet I doubt this score will have anything that will hold up to JNH's music for the island itself.

That's a valid point. JNH had a great tragedy angle to play off in the score.

And yet I doubt this score will have anything that will hold up to JNH's music for the island itself.

But i wouldn't even lay that blame on Giacchino's door - writing interesting music for action scene after action scene minus gravitas has become the most elusive target in film music these days.

Hasn't JNH succumbed to RCP simplicity these days?

Let's say his stuff has become increasingly loud and obnoxious but like with MALEFICENT, it seems the only way to cut through the sound mix.

Am I reading definitive opinions already on the film and score based on 3 minutes of footage (one trailer, one teaser and one scene) plus half a dozen stills for the former and a 15 sec clip, three cuesheet pages and a bunch of session photos for the latter?

I think (part of) JWFan broke a record there.

I was just imagining Desplat's main titles over the trailer.

Then again, Gia did Cloverfield, but that would sound inappropiate here.

I don't think Gia is a hack. I think he pushes himself reaaally slowly (and sometimes backwards). It's a bit puzzling.

Had a brief chat with Peter Boyer this morning about the score - sounds great!

Of course. Has there ever been an announcement like this that read: 'He really wasn't sure if it all was of great consequence and feels really blasé about it'?

Had a brief chat with Peter Boyer this morning about the score - sounds great!

Of course. Has there ever been an announcement like this that read: 'He really wasn't sure if it all was of great consequence and feels really blasé about it'?

I'm expecting a statement to that effect about Episode VII.

Mixing is underway for the Jurassic World score. #JurassicWorld

A photo posted by Michael Giacchino (@m_giacchino) on

Mixing... #JurassicWorld

A photo posted by Michael Giacchino (@m_giacchino) on

There's a lot down time at mixes...

A video posted by Michael Giacchino (@m_giacchino) on

So now we know

1m1

1m2

1m4a

1m4b Welcome to Jurassic World (Composed by John Williams, adapted by Michael Giacchino, orchestrated by Peter Boyer)

1m6-9 Does This Dino Make Jurassic Look Big?

1m7S It's A Small Jurassic World (orchestrated by Chad Seiter)

1m10 As the Jurassic World Turns (orchestrated by Tim Simonec)

3m24-25 Come Hell Or High Slaughter

3m29S The Jimmy Fallon Serenade (Composed by Mick Giacchino, orchestrated by Jeff Kryka)

4m39a

5m43

5m43 ALT INS

5m44

5m46

5m47a

6m60 ALT The Teeth Degree

7m64

Jurassic World Suite

Nice photo with Giacchino & Don Williams up there. Don is between 15-20 years younger than his older brother, so he must be in his late 60s by now, I suppose. Still going strong as percussionist, though -- and he looks more like his father than John does.

You're wrong - he himself has only posted a couple pics.

Well, it's more than a couple now. ;)

Seriously though, when was the last time a film's recording sessions were promoted like this?

It happens all the time, they just don't all get shared to a messageboard that you are a part of

Oh I see. InTheCity is Mike Barry of Cinesamples. I worried for a second about outing him unwantedly, but his signature makes it entirely clear who he is, so there you go.

...then why did you think it might be him?

Just an employee of the Sony studio that JW was recorded at that came to mind. That's all.

Oh I see. InTheCity is Mike Barry of Cinesamples. I worried for a second about outing him unwantedly, but his signature makes it entirely clear who he is, so there you go.

Yea, I forgot he had his name is his signature now too.