Who is the most overrated film composer in recent history?

Ricard

89 members have voted

1. 1. Most overrated film composer in recent history?

• Alexandre Desplat
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Howard Shore
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Other (specify)

I'd say Alexandre Desplat, because his Harry Potter scores have been huge letdowns but people here still claim they were great

I wouldn't even put Zimmer in that poll because it's already established he can't compose anything I like as music

Giacchino is just overrated by some (Koray). But It must be recognized he composes some great cues from time to time that equal the better composers

Another missing from the poll is Howard Shore, which deserves a second place for me. Not only do I find the LotR scores mediocre, but the Hobbit are a step down and he hasn' t done anything else noteworthy

I hated EVIL DEAD. So much hype, so little substance.

It felt like a demo track for Project SAM (or some other orchestral sample library) - titled 'Horror/Atonal FX.'

Heh, I enjoyed it, but that's apt.

Don't quite get why Zimmer is a contender here. Sure, Giacchino gets the "savior of film music" touting at times, but seriously, do any of you really think that Zimmer is in danger of being "overrated," or do you just not like him? I don't think there's a composer out there who gets crapped on quite as much.

I'd say Alexandre Desplat, because his Harry Potter scores have been huge letdowns but people here still claim they were great

Another missing from the poll is Howard Shore, which deserves a second place for me. Not only do I find the LotR scores mediocre, but the Hobbit are a step down and he hasn' t done anything else noteworthy

OK I'll add Desplat and Shore to the poll.

That makes no sense. If he works on a certain score or not, that makes him overrated or not?

What if SW7 ends up being the best film score you've ever heard in your life, that would make him overrated? I don't get it.

That makes no sense. If he works on a certain score or not, that makes him overrated or not?

What if SW7 ends up being the best film score you've ever heard in your life, that would make him overrated? I don't get it.

It couldn't be , listening to a "Williams" score trying to figure out what he composed and what he didn't. It'd be 1000X worse than the HP2 scenario.And it'd just take a few bad Gia underscore cues to badly tarnish the rest of the score

I think they all put each other to shame.

Karol

I think they shame the very genre of film music.

John Williams

It had to be you Koray! I just knew it had to be you!

Scores pretty much just wash over me as part of the 'whole' of the movie nowadays; probably usually a pleasant enough backdrop, but I'd struggle to remember a note of them 10 minutes after leaving the cinema. The last one to actually have made any sort of impact on me at all was Newman's Skyfall score.

It couldn't be , listening to a "Williams" score trying to figure out what he composed and what he didn't. It'd be 1000X worse than the HP2 scenario.And it'd just take a few bad Gia underscore cues to badly tarnish the rest of the score

What does any of that have to do with Gia being overrated or not?

Wait, I have another obvious poll option

John Powell. He seems to have a devout fan club here and I fail to see why

I think it has the right "overrated" choices.

Giacchino is more like the James Horner of this generation

Like I remember when Williams was king in the 70's -80's and this new guy called Horner came in and did some decent scores

So basically, anyone who does good scores that depart from the kind of thing you really hate are still overrated because they aren't John Williams?

I think it has the right "overrated" choices.

Giacchino is more like the James Horner of this generation

Like I remember when Williams was king in the 70's -80's and this new guy called Horner came in and did some decent scores

Well, to me Williams was always at the top, with Goldsmith second and Horner third

To clarify my view on Giacchino:

I like him and think he did a few great scores (apart from his Trek scores which I don't like), so he doesn't go on my "overrated" list .I even like he was chosen for JP4.

BUT I would never want him to co-compose a Star Wars score with Williams

The poll feels so incomplete. It doesn't feature every possible composer from recent history.

The fact that very few voted for 'other' proves that it's perfect as it is ;)