Do you *really* think Shore's LOTR is as good as Williams' Star Wars OT?

Ricard

John Willams' Star Wars OT vs. Howard Shore's The Lord of the Rings  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which one's better?

• John Williams' Star Wars Original Trilogy (Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi)
    • Howard Shore's The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King)
    • They are both equally good

I happen to think that Williams' music is more complex, diverse, and rewarding, but this type of poll basically embodies why I dislike polls. On the basis of both works being movie scores, they both appear to succeed. Not exactly sure why one needs to be better than the other on that front.

Both scores have rather devoted and rabid fans who enjoy them for different reasons.

I luckily love both trilogies just about equally. There is no contest. I can enjoy both.

Won't happen.

But it just did! :)

No, it didn't. He expected an angry, flaming response. I don't give a nickel. After 13 years, LotR has passed the test of time.

I didn't vote, as I'm not very familiar with the Star Wars films or their soundtracks. I'm listening to Star Wars now - probably the first time I've ever heard the music through headphones rather than just tinny TV speakers - and find it to be an amazingly well-crafted sound throughout (not something that springs to mind in regard to Shore's The Lord of the Rings scores, whose chief merits are in other areas). I find it harder to get into the actual melodies and harmonies; as often for Williams' music with me, I feel as though I'm looking at an expertly constructed object from the outside, rather than being immersed in and swept along by it. For the latter reason, I wouldn't trade my The Lord of the Rings CDs for the best recordings of Star Wars just yet. But, like I said, I don't know the latter well enough to make a fair comparison.

The thing is, I don't like to. I really absolutely do not. Nothing is less interesting and more grating to me than this kind of discussion.

Confrontation and territoriality is in the essence of human nature. Accept it and you'll be happier :)

Well, I hope the incoming results of this poll have made Ricard and KM feel all warm and fuzzy again inside.

They didn't affect my mood in the slightest. I find them quite revealing, thought.

Human nature should change before it's too late. Totally different conversation though.

And right on, Lee. "Revealing," indeed.

As for what you said about everyone agreeing being boring, well, the liveliest discussions I've had here haven't involved disagreements of any type.

I didn't vote, as I'm not very familiar with the Star Wars films or their soundtracks. I'm listening to Star Wars now - probably the first time I've ever heard the music through headphones rather than just tinny TV speakers

This is nuts!

Star Wars is in the past. At least my generation was introduced to it through Special Editions. That's why I never bothered criticising those.

Karol

Remember the inflated attention TTT and AOTC recieved compared to the brilliant score Goldsmith composed for Star Trek Nemesis?

I never heard a brilliant Nemesis score.

Well this thread was a train wreck of no conversation about the actual poll.

Makes me feel better about all the ones I've made with 0 replies. ROTFLMAO

Yawn. This thread is boring. We've seen it all before.

Da Da Da Duuum!

Karol

Never knew you were a Zelda fan ;)

LOTR may not have the same polish or finesse that Star Wars has, but I think it more than makes up for that fact in the pure sincerity of the blood, sweat and tears that went into that monstrous production.

Sweat does not make good music. If anything, it makes it stink!

Fortunately for us, even the CR surround sound discs don't have a way for us to smell each and every note that Shore composed. Not yet anyway.

(more choir!! more choir!!).

More Cannons!

More cowbell!

I didn't vote, as I'm not very familiar with the Star Wars films or their soundtracks. I'm listening to Star Wars now - probably the first time I've ever heard the music through headphones rather than just tinny TV speakers

This is nuts!

You have to remember that there are still young people out there.

There certainly are! Unfortunately I'm not one of them...

Not in a million years. For all their strengths, the LOTR scores have too much dull, monophonic filler. Not enough textural or metric variety, or scope. Also, the novelty of Shore's aleatoric 'manifesto' wears thin pretty fast.

For the musically illiterate, some, or a lot, of the Williams crash-bang boom-tzzz can be just as dull, if not more irritating than the monophonic filler in LotR. I know it is for me. I haven't listened to the SW original trilogy in ages.

Star Wars, absolutely. While I think it's fair to say that Shore's narrative cohesion and ambition are impressive, I'm not sure it should affect how we evaluate the score. Shore knew from the start where he was going, while Williams probably thought Star Wars would just be another assignment instead of what it turned into. Establishing connections as you go isn't the same as starting out knowing how things should join up and relate, if that makes sense.

I appreciate the conceptual approach to LOTR, and there is some really beautiful stuff in there (I'm especially fond of the Lothlorien and Rohan material), but there is a lot of filler that is boring and pseudo-profound and that it seems people forget about, or gloss over, in discussing the scores. I just think Shore went to the same well too many times in terms of timbre--boy soprano solos (and other vocal solos), tam-tam roles, long string chords, and aleatoric material. I know that complaining about filler is a function of listening to music that wasn't meant for a standalone experience, but it's been released so why not talk about it, right? :)I think he was reaching for levels of depth that just weren't on the screen.

All that isn't to say that I think Star Wars is perfect; I enjoy Star Wars and ESB from top to bottom, but I have some issues with ROTJ. I think part of that is based on the flaws in the film; it's the only one of the original trilogy where I find the more lyrical, dramatic music more interesting than the action writing (and I think the quieter underscore in SW/ESB is interesting), especially the Ewok material, which I mostly dislike. It treads a line close to circus music in my mind. The Star Wars films are pulp, and I think Williams saw that and approached them accordingly. I do agree that some of the thematic material has become overexposed, but the stuff in-between still holds my attention.

That's true of John's SW, not Howard's LOTR. ;)

Emotionally, yes. There is nothing of the same caliber in any of the Star Wars films. Williams is able to elevate them only because of who he is.

If Williams had scored LOTR, and Shore SW, SW would be seen as the glossy, if entertaining, husk that it is. Even more so than it is already.

What I mean is that if Shore, or really, anyone other than Williams had scored Star Wars, those films would be far less well regarded than they are.

So, even though Williams' Star Wars is compositionally more complex, intellectually more engaging, there's just far less soul in it than what Shore did for LOTR, because of the source material each was working with.

Star Wars, absolutely. While I think it's fair to say that Shore's narrative cohesion and ambition are impressive, I'm not sure it should affect how we evaluate the score. Shore knew from the start where he was going, while Williams probably thought Star Wars would just be another assignment instead of what it turned into. Establishing connections as you go isn't the same as starting out knowing how things should join up and relate, if that makes sense.

I appreciate the conceptual approach to LOTR, and there is some really beautiful stuff in there (I'm especially fond of the Lothlorien and Rohan material), but there is a lot of filler that is boring and pseudo-profound and that it seems people forget about, or gloss over, in discussing the scores. I just think Shore went to the same well too many times in terms of timbre--boy soprano solos (and other vocal solos), tam-tam roles, long string chords, and aleatoric material. I know that complaining about filler is a function of listening to music that wasn't meant for a standalone experience, but it's been released so why not talk about it, right? :)I think he was reaching for levels of depth that just weren't on the screen.

All that isn't to say that I think Star Wars is perfect; I enjoy Star Wars and ESB from top to bottom, but I have some issues with ROTJ. I think part of that is based on the flaws in the film; it's the only one of the original trilogy where I find the more lyrical, dramatic music more interesting than the action writing (and I think the quieter underscore in SW/ESB is interesting), especially the Ewok material, which I mostly dislike. It treads a line close to circus music in my mind. The Star Wars films are pulp, and I think Williams saw that and approached them accordingly. I do agree that some of the thematic material has become overexposed, but the stuff in-between still holds my attention.

That's true of John's SW, not Howard's LOTR. ;)

Hmm. I won't argue with the assertion that Williams elevated the Star Wars films. I think that is absolutely true. When I say that Shore was reaching for depth, I don't mean to say the same thing as elevating a lightweight film. A better way to say it may have been to say that Shore was trying to impose profundity on a film that couldn't quite handle it. I like how put it here:

Emotionally, yes. There is nothing of the same caliber in any of the Star Wars films. Williams is able to elevate them only because of who he is.

If Williams had scored LOTR, and Shore SW, SW would be seen as the glossy, if entertaining, husk that it is. Even more so than it is already.

Either way, no harm no foul. I think this discussion has been more interesting than it had any right to be, actually.

One thing I absolutely love about LotR is the complete (?) lack of staccato xylophones (bass marimba for the Ents ain't counting).

One thing I absolutely love about LotR is the complete (?) lack of staccato xylophones (bass marimba for the Ents ain't counting).

Ah the mortal sin of both Williams and Goldsmith. Must be an old school film music device that Shore refuses to use because he is too cool for school. Plus they are kind of annoying half the time. You could achieve those accents with an instrument that has more bite and less comedy to it.

A mortal sin?

You really talk out of your ass sometimes, Mikko!

Teheee, you really have a soft spot for xylophones Stefan. Admit it!

And I was half-joking but I guess it was a half-assed effort.

Xylophones in Williams scores are great. What's the problem? I absolutely love them in the Anakin vs Sebulba alternate (with the added snares).

Ah but of course, that is action writing. Howard Shore's achilles heel.