The Official "A.I. Artificial Intelligence" Appreciation Thread

Dixon Hill

gotta admit it has grown on me immensely ...Still don't really like the movie..I think Kubrick firing Aldiss burned it for me. But the music.........just wondrous in places . I really like JW homage to ligeti in the "dream of the blue fairy bit" ...ligeti meets bach......

t

gotta admit it has grown on me immensely ...Still don't really like the movie..I think Kubrick firing Aldiss burned it for me. But the music.........just wondrous in places . I really like JW homage to ligeti in the "dream of the blue fairy bit" ...ligeti meets bach......

t

Interesting. Whats the Ligetti piece he references?

The Ligeti piece is not microtonal, if that's what you mean. Where do you hear that crop up in the score? Stored Memories (the "alternate"), right?

Does anyone know why we get not one, but two, versions of "For Always"? I don't mind the song, but geez... It didn't even feature in the film.

The recording for this score is complete and utter crap! What in the name of Zeus' butt-hole was Shawn Murphy doing, that week? Was he drunk? Was he asleep?

The 5.1 version improves it a little, but not much.

t

Interesting. Whats the Ligetti piece he references?

Now find the Khachaturian reference!

taking-time-chronometer-watch-10237962_z

Go!

The 5.1 version improves it a little, but not much.

Apparently, the DVD-A version is crap.

The recording for this score is complete and utter crap! What in the name of Zeus' butt-hole was Shawn Murphy doing, that week? Was he drunk? Was he asleep?

In Replicas, there's this ambient hissing sound that makes it sound as though they recorded it in a monsoon.

In Replicas, there's this ambient hissing sound that makes it sound as though they recorded it in a monsoon.

There's a noticeable difference between the ambient sound of the cues they recorded at Sony and the ones they did at Royce Hall, but I've never had any real issue with the engineering quality.

I think the sound of the A.I. soundtrack is very palpable, more intimate and less emotionally remote than many other recordings out there. Long live Murphy!

Alex

Rubbish. The overamplified bass ruins it and is not unique to A. I. It's just the worst example of it.

The sound of (any) recording is important to the atmosphere of the music or the album. If my feelings, my perception of A.I. is rubbish to you, then that's your prerogative, just like it's mine to value it. Other than that, yes, Murphy tends to go overboard with lower frequencies.

Alex

The sound of (any) recording is important to the atmosphere of the music or the album. If my feelings, my perception of A.I. is rubbish to you, then that's your prerogative, just like it's mine to value it. Other than that, yes, Murphy tends to go overboard with lower frequencies.

Alex

Then let's hope that the new release corrects the sound and mastering of this specifical recording to actually listenable.

Alex

Then let's hope that the new release corrects the sound and mastering of this specifical recording to actually listenable.

Drama queen talk. If it's only the amount of bass that you have a problem with, then it's not that big of an issue, since it's only apparent on bass drum and double basses. Most Murphy recordings tend to have that extra oomph in the bottom end. It's part of his sound.

It's his sound, not a the fault of the 'release'. Live with it, or turn down the bass of your sound system.

And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of Murphy.

Alex

Does disc 1 of the 2CD Oscar promo have the same mix/mastering as the retail OST?

The day I finally got my greedy paws on one of the 2-CD Oscar promo (took only nine years) was one of the most exciting of my collecting life!

Me, too, and it still doesn't have either "Dr. Know", or the music that underscores "They hate us, you know, the humans", or the film version of "The Mecha World"!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE HELL IS THE WORLD COMING TO?????!!!!!!! I CAN'T STAND IT, ANY LONGER!!!!!!! :kaboom:

It's sucks so bad, the only explanation would be an artistic choice.

Perhaps, knowing the tendency of many film music aficionados to listen with their heads lodged astonishingly far up their asses, Murphy was only trying to approximate that sound and save them a step.

Turn down the bass? This is again proof that you just don't know what you are talking about a lot of times.

Explain, drama queen.

Personally, I think "A.I." is one of Williams' very finest efforts, and it remains one of my favorite scores of all time, and contains passages that I find to be some of the most moving in Williams' entire ouvre.

The film certainly has its problematic parts, and it isn't always a perfect drama, but it's still a phenomenal (and phenomenally well crafted) piece of cinema.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's a very good score!

I can't wait to finally heard the whole thing, and all the never-before-heard alternates and unused cues to boot!

Right now the score is buying hyped because of the impending release. But it's actually one of the lesser discussed Spielberg/Williams scores.

I disagree. It made many top 10 lists in the occasional polls that go through this place

Well, let's be honest. The scores of John Williams that get discussed the most are his big blockbustery franchise scores.

Star Wars 1-6, Indiana Jones 1-4, Harry Potter 1-3, Jurassic Park 1-2, Jaws 1-2, Home Alone 1-2, Superman, etc.

His scores to one-off films like this will never generate as much discussion as those.