The interview where Williams claimed the Imperial March was being added to the original Star Wars

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, this quote came from an interview he did for a Dutch film score magazine called Score. Anyone heard of it? Interestingly, this supposed interview seems to only include this quote. Did they only ask him one question? :rolleyes:

I do not have a link, only a memory, so this post is more or less useless. However, I distinctly remember a video interview where Williams did discuss the possibility of inserting the Imperial March in A New Hope. I think he even specifically mentions Vader's entrance into the Blockade Runner. He mentions that Lucas had discussed the idea with him and he was open to it, but there were no definite plans. I want to say that the interview was in conjunction with Episode II or III. In the same interview, Williams mentions that Lucas was talking about adding scenes between Vader and the Emperor in A New Hope.

I would actually want this to happen, as long as it is rewritten to sound organic and not just edited in the soundtrack.

That has been around for years. Almost like it came from that one site that said things were gonna happen and posted fake interviews and other shit like that.

It would have happened by now if it was ever seriously considered. I'm surprised they didn't add the theme especially since they took the time to rescore the Return of the Jedi celebration.

That has been around for years. Almost like it came from that one site that said things were gonna happen and posted fake interviews and other shit like that.

Tom said he remembered seeing a video about it. Would be nice if we could locate it.

My memory could be mistaken, but I could swear that I did see it. On top of that, I seem to remember watching it on broadcast television, for whatever that is worth. It was around the time the original Star Wars score was placed in the vault at the library of congress. I remember thinking that if Williams changed it now, they would have to reopen the vault.

Either way, it seems certain that it will not happen now. Lucas seems to be done messing with the OT.

It would have happened by now if it was ever seriously considered.

Well, every release has had some alterations or additions. You could have said the same thing about putting Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor into The Empire Strikes Back years ago (when the poster for the Special Edition even showed the Return of the Jedi version of the character), and then Lucas just decided to slap that together while filming Revenge of the Sith with completely inconsistent makeup for DVD. It is possible this was considered but Lucas was going to wait until a prequel recording session to slap it together, but then he forgot about it while he was too busy ruining all the new music Williams was recording for his movies.

It would have happened by now if it was ever seriously considered.

Well, every release has had some alterations or additions. You could have said the same thing about putting Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor into The Empire Strikes Back years ago (when the poster for the Special Edition even showed the Return of the Jedi version of the character), and then Lucas just decided to slap that together while filming Revenge of the Sith with completely inconsistent makeup for DVD. It is possible this was considered but Lucas was going to wait until a prequel recording session to slap it together, but then he forgot about it while he was too busy ruining all the new music Williams was recording for his movies.

True, but the 1997 Special Edition was the only one with music changes (Ewok Celebration and Jedi Rocks) where new music was written and recorded. That seemed like the best time to record some new music for the original film since they were already taking the time to record some new stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas wasn't toying with the idea back in 1997 and before. Of course, they could have also easily tracked music from the other films instead of recording new music. In any case, it's not likely Disney will alter the films further, so this music addition may only live in fan edits.