Cannes Film Festival

A24

But who are the men on the second tank? The first one seems to be Jason Statham ... again! (Twilight Zone cue :whistle: )

Harrison is the only one to have a 'tank' film score cue, I think (THE LAST CRUSADE).

I can hardly recognize Mel Gibson with the beard. What's he doing these days, anyway (beyond this film, obviously)?

I never held any of that stuff against him in the first place. Similar situation with Tom Cruise and Charlie Sheen when they were in the spotlight. I don't care about your personal lives, just that you make good movies. Cruise's career didn't seem to be phased by any of that stuff though. Gibson and Sheen are reduced to grindhouse cinema.

Gibson is a fine actor and director. At some point, one has to let the cocaine-induced nonsense he spouted off a couple of years ago be bygones.

Indeed. Though if it weren't for that he wouldn't have struck up his friendship with Downey Jr. I wouldn't be surprised if Mel makes a similar comeback at some point.

Not to me, the less he acts and talks, the better. I can imagine that for some people 'the silent hero' type is dull but I think he was quite good at it.

Gibson is a fine actor and director. At some point, one has to let the cocaine-induced nonsense he spouted off a couple of years ago be bygones.

Indeed. Though if it weren't for that he wouldn't have struck up his friendship with Downey Jr. I wouldn't be surprised if Mel makes a similar comeback at some point.

I believe they've been friends ever since they worked together on this masterpiece:

Air_America_(film).jpg

• 5 years later...

Tarantino won nothing. The winner of the Palme d'Or 2019 is:

You know, from the director who brought us Snowpiercer and The Host.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Tarantino won nothing. The winner of the Palme d'Or 2019 is [PARASITE]. You know, from the director who brought us Snowpiercer and The Host.

You phrase that if it's somehow a controversial choice.

After its premiere, PARASITE quickly became the Palme d'Or favourite, and -- according to my colleagues who are there, along with most of the critics -- is apparently a fantastic film. Joon-ho Bong has a fascinating career. Loved the tense THE HOST, was less thrilled with SNOWPIERCER (somewhat overrated, IMO), and found OKJA totally charming -- he should have directed DUMBO, not Burton. He's very good at juggling arthouse aesthetics with genre fare -- usually as a parable of some deeper sociopolitical issue.

It's also been an unusually good Cannes year, almost on the level of 2016. Beyond PARASITE and Tarantino, there's also DOLOR Y GLORIA (Pedro Almodóvar), MATTHIAS & MAXIME (Xavier Dolan), ATLANTIQUE (Mati Diop), PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE (Céline Sciamma), MEKTOUB, MY LOVE: INTERMEZZO (Kechiche), YOU DESERVE A LOVER (Hafsia Herzi), THE YOUNG AHMED (Dardenne bros.), HIDDEN LIFE (Malick -- mixed reviews!), THE LIGHTHOUSE (Eggers), LUX ÆTERNA (Noé), SORRY WE MISSED YOU (Loach), ZOMBIE CHILD (Bonello), THE DEAD DON'T DIE (Jarmusch) and so on and so forth.

So while I haven't seen any of these films yet -- just going by the names and the enthusiastic reports coming in from Cannes, I can easily see why Tarantino didn't measure up. His film is reportedly very good, but quite 'safe' compared to many of these.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Loved the tense THE HOST, was less thrilled with SNOWPIERCER (somewhat overrated, IMO),

It will come as no surprise that I liked Snowpiercer more than The Host, even though I really did not dig its Gilliam-esque touch. Never saw Okja ...

Okja never quite lives up to its premise. So while it has good bits, it mostly comes off as light fare. I like Snowpiercer, though I don't consider it the big masterpiece people make it out to be.

Curious about this one. Also didn't know Noé had a new film this year.

30 minutes ago, KK said:

Curious about this one. Also didn't know Noé had a new film this year.

He's kinda developped it in 'secret'. It's a short film; barely an hour, but it's supposed to be as wild as CLIMAX....

I should perhaps point out that it was screened outside of competition.