Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

Regardless of what most folks thought of the characters in Godzilla, it's hard to deny that the man has an extremely visual eye, perfectly suited for this type of material.

Would have been cool to see him direct the actual Star Wars films themselves! He clearly has a lot of potential.

But to be honest, it would have been nice to see him do something different.

I think Desplat will be Edwards' first-choice composer. Edwards loved what Desplat brought to Godzilla, and I don't think Desplat would pass up the opportunity to work with him again.

I think Desplat will be Edwards' first-choice composer. Edwards loved what Desplat brought to Godzilla, and I don't think Desplat would pass up the opportunity to work with him again.

Desplat is the likely candidate.

I think we're probably all in agreement that Williams is not likely for this spinoff. They may offer him first refusal, but I think Desplat will ultimately be the one to get the job. They collaborated well on Godzilla.

Edit: Hey, this thread was not started by Mr Big!

Oh I dunno, Gareth is more of a hired hand here than he was on Godzilla. The composer could be more up to Lucas, Kennedy, and Abrams than it is up to Edwards.

Oh I dunno, Gareth is more of a hired hand here than he was on Godzilla. The composer could be more up to Lucas, Kennedy, and Abrams than it is up to Edwards.

Doubt they'd turn their noses up at the Splat.

Yeah I agree. I bet the suits would prefer Giacchino.

Hey Desplat wears artistic scarves. Who could resists that?

desplat_a.jpg

I'd be happy with either Giacchino or Desplat. Desplat would be my first choice after hearing Godzilla (and I love his Deathly Hallows Part 1 score).

Not if they have ears.

As long as Williams scores the main series, I wouldn't mind Giacchino

Desplat fantasy scores have been shit so far (I haven't listened to Godzilla yet)

Not if they have ears.

So it is either prissy SW spin-off score or an imitation one eh?

Hey Desplat wears artistic scarves. Who could resists that?

desplat_a.jpg

Hey, the hotel had no heating!

Alexandre

Obviously your recording sessions are pretty drafty as well. Perhaps you should tone down the furious conducting action to reduce the air flow.

DesplatBenjaminScoringSession.jpg

But it is good for a composer to have such a trademark as a scarf or turtleneck or ponytail.

Who else would I like besides myself!

You are an artiste after all, n'est-ce pa?

Giacchino imitating LAST CRUSADE-Williams is totally acceptable, Giacchino imitating prequel Williams means he sounds much more like regular 2010- Giacchino which i find tedious and musically depressing. I honestly find more entertaining music in MOS, daft as it is, than in MG's STAR TREK scores.

Giacchino imitating LAST CRUSADE-Williams is totally acceptable, Giacchino imitating prequel Williams means he sounds much more like regular 2010- Giacchino which i find tedious and musically depressing. I honestly find more entertaining music in MOS, daft as it is, than in MG's STAR TREK scores.

There's music in the MOS score? Really?

Desplat scoring this film could mean the best Star Wars score since The Empire Strikes Back!

:drool:

Well now there is an overstatement if there ever was one. I am not quite convinced he would be right for Star Wars. But he is free to prove me wrong.

Indeed.

If people are basing what a Desplat SW score would sound like on Godzilla....well I'd like less ostinati, and more memorable themes in my SW scores, thank you very much.

I'd definitely like to see Desplat take the project over Giacchino though.

Well there are certainly other composers out there who could sink their teeth into a project of this size.

Rubbish!

These days, any mediocre hack ala Tyler, Djawadi, Jackman can be expected to receive such a movie!

So it is either Desplat or Giacchino? There is no other way?

Hey, if Desplat is supposed to be an excellent composer, why can't he do Star Wars?

He's a good composer, not necessarily the best out there. I don't think Star Wars would be right for him.

Hey, if Desplat is supposed to be an excellent composer, why can't he do Star Wars?

He's a good composer, not necessarily the best out there. I don't think Star Wars would be right for him.

Just as long as it isn't Zimmer or one of his RCP clones isn't doing it. I'd like Giacchino or Desplat. Shore would be interesting. I liked Doyle's Harry Potter work and something similar in Star Wars wouldn't be bad.

Who would you go for if you think Desplat isn't good enough?

A couple of composers come to mind who could do this, apart from the obvious Giacchino or Desplat:

- John Powell (could be great if given the chance)

- Alan Silvestri

- Elliot Goldenthal

- Ben Bartlett (from Walking With Dinosaurs series)

- Howard Shore

- John Corigliano (a man can dream...)

- Patrick Doyle

- James Newton Howard

- James Horner

- Phillipe Sarde

There are lots of composers to go around with this material.

This board will implode the day that happens.

But no, Shore wouldn't work either. Take out Doyle, Shore and Silvestri and you have a competent list Michael. Powell would definitely be am intriguing choice...not sure how that would play out though.