Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

What do we think the chances are that Disney / Kennedy / Edwards ask JW if he wants to score this film?

Giacchino seems the most obvious choice--he's an Academy Award-winning composer writing symphonic scores in the style this kind of film requires.

Desplat is probably high on the list because he's the No. 1 film music superstar at the moment, he can write an old-fashioned symphonic kind of score and he worked already with the director.

I'm not saying there isn't anyone else able to tackle such an assignment as successfully (there are others, of course), but my bet is that it will be probably a big name.

What do we think the chances are that Disney / Kennedy / Edwards ask JW if he wants to score this film?

Probably they will ask him, I guess. However I believe he's gonna score only the sequel trilogy and let other composers step in for the spin-off movies. He will be probably asked about who he would recommend, like he did for Superman IV and Jurassic Park 3.

I don't think so. He'll be busy enough with all of Spielberg's projects and the main trilogy.

How would Episode 8 coming out in May 2017 affect his ability to score Rogue One coming out in December 2016?

Also, all Spielberg has that is definitely happening is The BFG coming out July 2016.

Yes, Spielberg might direct that Jennifer Lawrence movie, but unless it also comes out in December 2016 or May 2017 he's probably fine.

Oh shit. That's probably exactly when it will come out :P

Giacchino seems the most obvious choice--he's an Academy Award-winning composer writing symphonic scores in the style this kind of film requires.

Desplat is probably high on the list because he's the No. 1 film music superstar at the moment, he can write an old-fashioned symphonic kind of score and he worked already with the director.

I'm not saying there isn't anyone else able to tackle such an assignment as successfully (there are others, of course), but my bet is that it will be probably a big name.

I'm expecting Edwards to go back to Desplat...he spoke very highly of him last year while promoting Godzilla and mentioned that Desplat was always his #1 choice, since all his favorite recent scores were written by him. Plus like Giacchino, Desplat has frequently cited both Williams and Star Wars as a major formative influence, so I don't see why he'd pass on the opportunity, if offered.

What Desplat scores are closest to the classic Williams sound? Monuments Men and.... Largo Winch?

I assumed that Michael Giacchino was the heir apparent to the Star Wars movies after Williams retires. I feel he has paid his dues between his Pixar and Abrams work. There is one cue in particular on the "Star Trek: Into Darkness" album, "Scotty's Floored," where Giacchino almost sounds like he's auditioning for a future Star Wars assignment. It is when Scotty is piloting a shuttlecraft to Jupiter and approaches the massive space station.

None of these examples have me leap up in excitement exactly. Desplat's HP suite was by far the weakest offering in his London concert - 15 minutes of cacophonic orchestral chaos. Giacchino, well....I'd rather take the wild card at this point.

None of these examples have me leap up in excitement exactly. Desplat's HP suite was by far the weakest offering in his London concert - 15 minutes of cacophonic orchestral chaos. Giacchino, well....I'd rather take the wild card at this point.

If the wild card is Mike Verta?

What about Joel McNeely? He's the Prince Charles of JW succession! Everyone's so obsessed with Prince Michael and Baby Alexandre, they've forgotten Joel's been biding his time for 25 years.

Also, he's been getting some recognition in film music circles lately for the Tinkerbell scores and A Million Ways to Die in the West. He knows his way around an orchestra, he generally refrains from the noise pollution that dogs the other two heirs apparent, he can write a hummable melody, and he acquitted himself nicely on Shadows of the Empire.

What Desplat scores are closest to the classic Williams sound? Monuments Men and.... Largo Winch?

There's several cues in both Deathly Hallows scores where Desplat is channeling Williams modern sound, especially in "Sky Battle", last bit of "Fireplaces Escape", "Underworld", "In the Chamber of Secrets" and "Showdown."

I'll be fine if Desplat scores Rogue One, and I think it's good. Nowhere did Kathleen Kennedy said Williams was scoring the SW spinoffs, just Episodes VII-IX.

If the wild card is Mike Verta?

But honestly, does anyone (besides the resident cult) wants slavish re-interpretations of selected pieces from LAST CRUSADE and FAR AND AWAY?

It very much depends on how much these spin-off movies will rely to the overall style of the SW films. If they're giving them a different stylistic twist, maybe the music could also be in a different mode than Williams' Star Wars style.

Now that I've seen Godzilla I kinda fear the worst for the Star Wars franchise. As we all have seen, Godzilla's characters were utterly and completely uninteresting (I've never seen it that bad actually) and the film only has one good scene. Star Wars needs to be more character based so that he audience cares if someone's spaceship goes down. And yes, JJ Abrams isn't much better either.

I feel sad for the die hard Star Wars fans.

It's over. It's all over.

Alex

Now that I've seen Godzilla I kinda fear the worst for the Star Wars franchise. As we all have seen, Godzilla's characters were utterly and completely uninteresting (I've never seen it that bad actually) and the film only has one good scene. Star Wars needs to be more character based so that he audience cares if someone's spaceship goes down.

Say what you wish about the characters in Godzilla, but Edwards has shown himself to be a very visual and cinematic director. Are you really saying that if Rogue One has a good script, that he couldn't pull off a good movie? Chris Weitz is writing the script.

Now that I've seen Godzilla I kinda fear the worst for the Star Wars franchise. As we all have seen, Godzilla's characters were utterly and completely uninteresting (I've never seen it that bad actually) and the film only has one good scene. Star Wars needs to be more character based so that he audience cares if someone's spaceship goes down.

Say what you wish about the characters in Godzilla, but Edwards has shown himself to be a very visual and cinematic director. Are you really saying that if Rogue One has a good script, that he couldn't pull off a good movie? Chris Weitz is writing the script.

I thought as a film Godzilla was all over the place. Like I said, I only like one scene and it's a scene that feels stylistically not in line with the rest of the movie. Yes, I've seen very little that makes me pumped for his Star Wars. I don't know what you are referring to as 'very visual'. Most of it was effects (monsters fighting, destruction, et cetera).

Alexandre Desplat will score it.

"Alexandre Desplat was invited to Guillaume Durand's "Culture Club" show on French Radio Classique, this sunday (https://twitter.com/radioclassique/status/577149763625345024/photo/1).

He talked, among other things, about his education, living in Europe and working in the US, the impact of the music of Jarre, Delerue, North, Goldsmith and Williams (and in particular the revelatory experience of listening to the original "Star Wars"), creating Traffic Quintet with his wife, how he was sure NOTto win the Oscar that night, and that winning it has currently no impact on work proposals since he is already booked until 2017 and just takes no calls!

He then whished to end the program with the Main title of "Godzilla". Asked about this choice, he answered that he was as first a little reluctant to score this type of movie, but then he saw Gareth Edwards previous movie, "Monsters", and was blown away by it and immediately took the job. And now, he's very happy because he's "going to score Edwards' next movie, a Star Wars spin off, which is extremely exciting"

While I would have preferred John Williams to score it, this is very good news.

I do fear that this will set of precedent of SW directors getting to choose their own composers. In other words, I don't want Rian Johnson bringing in his cousin to score Episode 8 with washing machine noises.