Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

Anyone ever notice that the Force itself is never really acknowledged by non-Jedi in the prequels? As if it's some secret voodoo only the initiated are privy to.

Are non-Jedi even interested in investigating the Force and learning what it is? Have there been any novels about Force-Muggles expressing curiosity in becoming a Jedi but being sorely disappointed and broken-spirited that they have no sensitivity to the Force and have the deal with the fact that they'll never know what it's like to use it?

15 minutes ago, karelm said:

I hope they address how Obi Wan forgot he already knew C3PO and R2D2.  Something like being a new hermit resident of Tatooine, he didn't adjust well to a rural wasteland.   In an ill advised moment, he went to greet his Sand People neighbors who subsequently hit him on the head resulting in selective amnesia. 

I wonder how they'll ever address why Obi-Wan thought the blaster shots in the sandcrawler were "too precise" for sand people. Wasn't he at the pod-race when Tusken Raiders shot the pods? Maybe in old age his deteriorating mind mercifully released any memories he had of the prequels.

1 minute ago, Skelly said:

I wonder how they'll ever address why Obi-Wan thought the blaster shots in the sandcrawler were "too precise" for sand people. Wasn't he at the pod-race when Tusken Raiders shot the pods?

No but Qui-Gon was. He apparently didn't report back to him how the sand people shot that pod like a hawk.

We looked at the trailer and the kid said he misses John Williams. What are the odds? I like the tone (as far as I can tell) but I have a problem with the girl's British accent. I love the accents of Alex Guinness and Peter Cushing but with her it somehow feels unstarwarsy. 

Alex

6 minutes ago, Shatner's Rug said:

No but Qui-Gon was. He apparently didn't report back to him how the sand people shot that pod like a hawk.

So I guess that means Obi-wan was bullshitting Luke.

Actually, considering all the lies he told Luke about Anakin, that isn't very surprising!

11 minutes ago, Skelly said:

I wonder how they'll ever address why Obi-Wan thought the blaster shots in the sandcrawler were "too precise" for sand people.

The problem is Sandpeople ride single file to hide their numbers, and it's hard to aim accurately when you have to fire above the head of the Sandperson in front of you.

35 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

We looked at the trailer and the kid said he misses John Williams. What are the odds? I like the tone (as far as I can tell) but I have a problem with the girl's British accent. I love the accents of Alex Guinness and Peter Cushing but with her it somehow feels unstarwarsy. 

Alex

I thought the Australian and New Zealand accents in the prequels were unstarwarsy.

5 hours ago, karelm said:

I hope they address how Obi Wan forgot he already knew C3PO and R2D2.  Something like being a new hermit resident of Tatooine, he didn't adjust well to a rural wasteland.   In an ill advised moment, he went to greet his Sand People neighbors who subsequently hit him on the head resulting in selective amnesia. 

:lol:

Well, yes, that is a bit of a plot hole. There's a very similar one when Luke arrives on Dagobah and R2 somehow doesn't acknowledge Yoda (or vice versa). Pablo Hidalgo, the resident living SW encyclopedia at Lucasfilm, was once asked about that one on Twitter and he said, "How do we know R2 doesn't remember Yoda? Maybe he just hides his feelings really well." It's a little silly but it works for me. 

26 minutes ago, Will said:

:lol:

Well, yes, that is a bit of a plot hole. There's a very similar one when Luke arrives on Dagobah and R2 somehow doesn't acknowledge Yoda (or vice versa). Pablo Hidalgo, the resident living SW encyclopedia at Lucasfilm, was once asked about that one on Twitter and he said, "How do we know R2 doesn't remember Yoda? Maybe he just hides his feelings really well." It's a little silly but it works for me. 

Here is how I would answer that hole.  R2 is a very common interface droid who until A New Hope, he had a mostly insignificant role.  He was not a memorable droid until a New Hope where he was critical to the success of the Battle of Yavin.  So Yoda had no reason to find him memorable in ESB. 

6 hours ago, Skelly said:

I wonder how they'll ever address why Obi-Wan thought the blaster shots in the sandcrawler were "too precise" for sand people. Wasn't he at the pod-race when Tusken Raiders shot the pods? Maybe in old age his deteriorating mind mercifully released any memories he had of the prequels.

Obi-Wan was completely loopy by the time Luke found him. He couldn't remember the droids, he thought stormtroopers were precise shots, and he claimed Darth Vader killed Luke's father. And then he got himself killed claiming he would become more powerful than Vader could imagine, but all he did afterwards was make a few faint ghost appearances and speak half gibberish to Luke.

6 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Have there been any novels about Force-Muggles expressing curiosity in becoming a Jedi but being sorely disappointed and broken-spirited that they have no sensitivity to the Force and have the deal with the fact that they'll never know what it's like to use it?

Yes.

Survivors Quest by Timothy Zahn has a character whose sister became a Jedi, he did not, so he became jealous of her because of the resulting favoritism from their parents.

Fate of the Jedi: Backlash by Aaron Allston has a character named Dyon Stadd who failed Luke's New Jedi Order trials, he took it well though.

This all Legends Non-canon material of course.

There is also a character who takes the  SW equivalent  of performance enhancing drugs to simulate the effects of the Force. 

1 hour ago, karelm said:

Here is how I would answer that hole.  R2 is a very common interface droid who until A New Hope, he had a mostly insignificant role.  He was not a memorable droid until a New Hope where he was critical to the success of the Battle of Yavin.  So Yoda had no reason to find him memorable in ESB. 

Well the bigger question though (and I think the one the Twitter questioner was actually asking) was why did R2 seemingly not recognize Yoda. ;) Yoda was a big shot in the Jedi Order, after all. 

Here's the new trailer's music isolated. My skills are extremely amateur (it's in mono and I'm sure not nearly as polished as someone like Fennel Ka would make it) but I hope some might enjoy having this. 

Rogue One - A Star Wars Story Trailer #2 (Isolated Score).mp3

I've looked around but I still have no idea who composed the above music (obviously not JW, but beyond that...).

Also, this is a little off topic but I found someone on Soundcloud posting a rejected cue of theirs for the first teaser from April.

Here's what they said:

I had the unique opportunity to pitch doing music for the Rogue Two trailer, which is now out. It came down to me and a few others, but unfortunately my piece was not selected (though you'll hear a VERY similar intro).

The client requested extensive use of the imperial march and the two minute length, everything else was up to me!

A lot more JW influence there but I think the final music is better. Interesting that A) This guy didn't see the trailer when he was writing and B) that so many different composers were hired. Lucasfilm treats this very seriously, apparently (well, I guess we already knew that, given what happened with JW's TFA teaser 2 music being chopped up or even rejected entirely, or something of the sort). 

@Skelly you might be interested.

10 minutes ago, Will said:

Here's the new trailer's music isolated. My skills are extremely amateur (it's in mono and I'm sure not nearly as polished as someone like Fennel Ka would make it) but I hope some might enjoy having this.

I have the 5.1 audio and I'm isolating the music as we speak. If anyone wants it I can upload it (it'll be stereo) when I'm done. :)

I'm glad that other guy's music wasn't selected... it sounds like something I'd hear for a Flash game, not a big-budget movie trailer.

4 minutes ago, Skelly said:

I have the 5.1 audio and I'm isolating the music as we speak. If anyone wants it I can upload it (it'll be stereo) when I'm done. :)

Cool!

I just realized that that unused cue was actually for the first teaser from back in April, not today's trailer. My bad. 

And yes, funny you say video game because this guy mostly does video game music. 

http://www.richdouglas.net/

Yeah, his use of samples is a little grating... there are people who really can wrap their heads around how to make samples sound more realistic and punchy, but the guys who have scored the last trailer or two aren't those sorts of composers (yet).

Here's my go at isolating the music. There were a couple unremovable FX near the end but oh well.

I also tried to normalize the volume and undo all the volume dips (that were done to "make room" for the dialogue).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx_2TC4QmNqkU1NwWmxaZGlFYmc

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

So, is this place turning into a forum about trailer music and who may or may not have composed it or what?

Is it too soon to rename it TRAILERFAN.com?

Perhaps such information ties into Star Wars Ring Theory?

Great post Will! Very informative.

I read another article that basically said that the only reason Lucas threw together treatments for 7, 8 & 9 at all was to increase the perceived value of the franchise once Disney became interested...there are suggestions the he led Disney to believe he had completed story treatments when he actually didn't.  Which given GL's procrastination and hatred of writing rings true to me. I have no doubt he had ideas in his head, and maybe some rough ideas scribbled about somewhere.  But remember the early stories, before the news of the sale to Disney broke, about how LucasFilm was gearing up for a new trilogy? All that pre-pre-production was apparently done to increase the value of the company to perspective suitors, and didn't represent a real desire by Lucas to make the films himself.

Really interested in TFA making of book, had no idea something like that was even in the cards. Is Rintzler writing it? I'm still waiting for a comprehensive Making of LOTR book as well.

SOME SPOILERS!

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/10/34244/

This is a very interesting shot-by-shot review of the latest trailer. A lot of cool things you miss just watching yourself. However, if you are trying to avoid spoilers you should probably stay away from it just to be safe. There's nothing too major but some of the shots are put into some more context about where they might fit in the film. 

One thing that's not too spoiler-y that it mentions is the fallen Jedi statue on Jedha. I didn't realize that's what it was when I watched. 

Also, another really insightful article from Classic FM about the latest trailer music. I love how they tell us how the trailer music is a sign of what's to come in the score. It's really cool to have such great, well informed analysis. :sarcasm:

http://www.classicfm.com/music-news/star-wars-rogue-one-soundtrack/#82WJSOJ6F7YtYzLx.97

Shouldn't the rebels be on Alderaan Yavin by now?

I thought Geonosians designed the Death Star?

That trailer pretty much told the story of the whole movie. Sad!

9 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Shouldn't the rebels be on Alderaan by now?

I thought Geonosians designed the Death Star?

That trailer pretty much told the story of the whole movie. Sad!

I don't believe the Rebels would have operated openly on Alderaan at all, not as freely as they later did on Dantooine, Yavin IV, and Hoth. There would have been Rebel sympathizers there, though, maybe just financiers and anti-Empire hippies. Tarkin blew it up because he wanted to strike a personal blow at Leia and destroy a system in the Core as opposed to one in the Outer Rim to show the Empire meant business. 

There's a difference between designing a system or subsystem and actually implementing it to completion. The films aren't specific yet on just how much those flying monkeys designed.

RIP Bevel Limerick. 

3 hours ago, WojinPA said:

I don't believe the Rebels would have operated openly on Alderaan at all, not as freely as they later did on Dantooine, Yavin IV, and Hoth.

Yeah, that was just short circuit on my part, I actually meant to say Yavin.

7 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Yeah, that was just short circuit on my part, I actually meant to say Yavin.

The trailer shows footage that strongly looks like Yavin IV. Jungles with a big hangar type building overhead to look like the Massassi temple. I'm assuming that is the planet where Mon Mothma is talking to Jyn. This movie should take place mere months or weeks before Episode IV so there should not be enough time to change from a different base (Dantooine?) to Yavin. 

The confusing part is that we see ground combat on a different planet with jungle and water in the trailer. Another Yavin lookalike is sloppy planning. Guess we have to wait for the finished movie. 

Rogue One Duracell spot. Would be a non-event except it's scored entirely with JW TFA music ("Starry Night," "I Can Fly Anything," and "Lunchtime")! That's pretty cool. 

On 10/15/2016 at 8:39 AM, Nick1066 said:

Really interested in TFA making of book, had no idea something like that was even in the cards. Is Rintzler writing it? I'm still waiting for a comprehensive Making of LOTR book as well.

I did some more research, and, whoa boy, it's not looking so good for this book. We might never get to read it, even though it's been written.

Here's the Amazon link, although since I last checked they removed the synopsis and other info. Now it's almost a blank entry -- just the title, essentially. That doesn't bode well. 

https://www.amazon.com/The-Making-Star-Wars-Awakens/dp/1419720228

J.W. Rinzler is indeed co-writing it, with Mark Cotta Vaz. It was originally supposed to be released in March; then the date was moved to October; then it was moved back to next spring; now there is no date. Anyway, Rinzler has spoken about his involvement in multiple interviews, the first of these in May:

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/05/swnn-exclusive-full-interview-with-аuthor-j-w-rinzler.html

I was with them (Lucasfilm) right up until the release of the film. My last day was December 31st ... I did a manuscript of The Making of The Force Awakens with Mark Vaz. I’m not the spokesperson, you know, I’m not sure what the last thing they said, in terms of what’s happening with the book. I think they have delayed it. For, you know, whatever reasons.

About GL's stories:

SWNN: I was wondering if you ever, in talking with George, obviously before he sold the company to Disney, if he ever talked about his intentions for the Sequel Trilogy? You know, what his broad strokes would have been for the Skywalker saga, essentially.

Rinzler:  He did, but given how he’s said they didn’t really follow his ideas, it’s for him to say. Because the book has been delayed, I really don’t think I can talk about it–except to say that when the book does come out, if it’s as originally written, fans will learn a lot more.

That "fans will learn a lot more" is tantalizing...

SWNN: You said that from December 31 you no longer work at LFL. Does that mean that the book will be finished without any further contribution from you, and will you be still listed as one of the authors as it is right now on Amazon?

Rinzler: I’ll still be one of the two authors, me and Vaz, at least that’s my assumption.  When they are ready to go I assume I’ll be asked to help finish up, etc.

SWNN:  Is there any chance to see you back working with LFL and doing some future Star Wars projects, or your divorce with them is final? Is there a place for compromises?

Rinzler:  I wouldn’t call it a divorce; it was just time for new and younger folks to carry on and time for me to go freelance, for personal reasons, too.  It’s possible I’ll do another book or two with Disney/Lucasfilm, yes.

He actually kind of lumps praise on the prequels, too, interestingly. 

Then, more recently, in August, he talked again:

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/08/j-w-rinzler-gives-an-update-on-the-making-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens-book.html

There’s a lot of new information. They really didn’t release a lot of information. I don’t know what form the book is going to come out, and frankly, I don’t know if it’s coming out in October. Nobody has said that to me, and someone else has said it might be, and I checked with the publisher, and they said it’s news to them. So it might just be Amazon… Again, I don’t work there anymore, so I’m not privy to information, but I think they would have let me know. … It’s a compelling book, and you’d have to ask them why it’s been delayed.

Around the same time, he said this (whoa, he says it's canceled):

Screenshot-1

And then Pablo Hidalgo of Lucasfilm said the above in a Twitter exchange. 

Now, there are several reasons why this book could be delayed or canceled. The conspiracy theorists will claim that Rinzler was too close to Lucas and may have painted his stories in a great light and made it seem like Disney flat-out, rudely rejected his ideas, and that therefore Disney doesn't want the book published. Others think it's just a matter of avoiding spoiling future plot points. Perhaps it's hard to talk about TFA without spoiling anything from the future, so they want to wait to release this for a few years. Who knows. But this is all very disappointing. Sounds like Rinzler hasn't been treated very well by Lucasfilm/Disney. First Lucas, then Edwards, then Desplat, now Rinzler...

55 minutes ago, Will said:

Rogue One Duracell spot. Would be a non-event except it's scored entirely with JW TFA music ("Starry Night," "I Can Fly Anything," and "Lunchtime")! That's pretty cool. 

Heh, neat!

Nothing will ever beat this classic though