Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

Just now, Romão said:

Those were not the examples I was thinking about

Then, what were you thinking about?

The only real, in-your-face fan service moment to me was

Spoiler

The two guys from the Mos Eisley cantina showing up on Jedha. And Vader's castle being on Mustafar, I suppose. Oh, and I guess Saw Gerrera, too.

The rest was more in-the-background stuff, that can easily be missed if you're not a true SW fan.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Reveal hidden contents

The rest was more in-the-background stuff, that can easily be missed if you're not a true SW fan.

Spoiler

the pair of droids. Could have been just walking in the background without C3PO stating the obvious...

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Hide contents

The two guys from the Mos Eisley cantina showing up on Jedha. And Vader's castle being on Mustafar, I suppose. Oh, and I guess Saw Gerrera, too.

Spoiler

The C-3PO and R2 Cameo, like Manuel Said. Bail mentioning, without actually saying the names, Obi-Wan and Leia

It's fan service. It something that has absolutely no relevance to the story being told. It's something that does not stand on its own, unless viewed through the lenses of the movie that follows. If you took all those moments out, the movie would lose absolutely nothing

11 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Still too much. It's still typical Star Wars, to a point that you've seen it all before, but it's less a carbon copy that TFA is. 

I think our brains just work differently. For me, a film is not defined by its plot points. TFA followed a lot of previous Star Wars plot points but while coloring in with refreshing new characters and tone and visuals that all fit comfortably in the existing universe. I'll defend it as the 3rd best Star Wars to my grave!

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think our brains just work differently. For me, a film is not defined by its plot points. TFA followed a lot of previous Star Wars plot points but while coloring in with refreshing new characters and tone and visuals that all fit comfortably in the existing universe. I'll defend it as the 3rd best Star Wars to my grave!

Indeed, different brains. To me, TFA wasn't new and refreshing at all. I can convert everything you see in TFA to earlier films with ease. It's not because Rey is a girl that she isn't Luke Skywalker. Et cetera ...

Yea, I'd skip all that nonsense. It was just a hypothetical situation he was setting up to eventually compare Luke and Jyn against each other again and how the former is free of the plot-driven limitations of the latter.

1 hour ago, KK said:

This article sums up pretty well the limitations of Jyn's character.

http://ew.com/movies/2016/12/21/rogue-one-star-wars-nostalgia-jyn-erso/

(When people play Hamlet, nobody thinks they should do a whole play about Hamlet with the pirates, or what life was like when Hamlet’s dad was King.)

Better tell Tom Stoppard, then.

So he's your kind of nerd?

I bet you showed it to Brucey countless times!

http://epicstream.com/news/The-Huge-Mistake-Rogue-One-Makes-According-to-Star-Wars-Title-Designer

The standalone film doesn't have an opening title and text crawl, and the man who spent a lot of time trying to make a version that George Lucas liked, thought it was a mistake. 

Frankly, it is a huge mistake, because the image is so iconic and it's so important to tens of millions, hundreds of millions of fans. I couldn't imagine it starting without that. It's foolish.

Frankly I don't agree. Disney will make loads of these, and not every one will require a title crawl to set up events. Also it will simply get a bit boring after a while.

I'm not sure Rogue One's cold opening worked though. That almost felt like they cut out the title crawl at the last minute.

Just saw this, and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. A bit disjointed at times, and definitely sags a bit in the middle, but the last third was classic Star Wars and I was on the edge of my seat. Some of the most stunning visuals every in a SW film, and I'd say the best space battle. Gia's score, which I've been listening to all week, did the job better than it has a right to. I think I got every OT reference, and it was clearly the most nostalgia driven of the Star Wars films made since the OT.  It might just be a little sad that my favourite parts were those call backs...I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it nearly as much without them.

The old "found footage" of the rebel pilots worked great, and I spotted it right away. The CGI Tarkin and Leia, however, took me out of the movie every time and I don't think it's going to stand the test of time.

Again, the film did feel a bit cobbled together and tonally inconsistent, a product of the reshoots I imagine.

What's the board consensus on this film?

There doesn't seem to be much of a consensus, really. Some loved it, some found it to be unremarkable, and then, you have the wiser members, such as myself, who liked the movie for what it was, while still acknowledging its flaws, and admitting it could have been more than what it ended up being.

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

There doesn't seem to be much of a consensus, really. Some loved it, some found it to be unremarkable, and then, you have the wiser members, such as myself, who liked the movie for what it was, while still acknowledging its flaws, and admitting it could have been more than what it ended up being.

Me me me!!!

I still haven't seen it. Maybe some day if shows up on the USA Network on a Sunday morning.

Everyone's saying it's the best one since Empire, but they said that about Attack of the Clones. Fuck this, I'm watching Star Trek.

2 hours ago, RPurton said:

I have seen sprawling reactions to it outside this forum, often attached to comments that "it was the way to do Star Wars unlike J.J's trash"

Meh, sounds mostly like prequel fanboys who like the film because Bail Organa is in it.  

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Meh, sounds mostly like prequel fanboys who like the film because Bail Organa is in it.  

Surprisingly they're people who dislike the prequels too. You can't please everyone, not today at any rate!

• 2 weeks later...

Rogue One's worldwide box office  is $706,054,705 according to BoxOffice Mojo.

Nothing to balk about, but certainly not extraordinary for a big blockbuster franchise film over the holiday season. It will probably do over 1 billion, but not much more.

So well worth Disney's and Lucasfilms time and effort, but far far short of TFA miney.

41 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Rogue One's worldwide box office  is $706,054,705 according to BoxOffice Mojo.

Nothing to balk about, but certainly not extraordinary for a big blockbuster franchise film over the holiday season. It will probably do over 1 billion, but not much more.

So well worth Disney's and Lucasfilms time and effort, but far far short of TFA miney.

You make it seem like this was unexpected and disappointing? This is a very good show for a spin-off. 

The Force Awakens was an outlier, and I don't think anybody expected R1 to match it.  R1 has already topped Captain America: Civil War, and will end up second for the year to Finding Dory.  I'm pretty sure that Disney is pretty happy with the situation of all three of those movies.

I was just looking at this year's biggest box office movies in the US

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2016&p=.htm

19 out of the top 20 are either animated movies, or part of a huge franchise.  The only outlier is Central freaking Intelligence :lol:

Yeah, that, Sully, and Arrival are the only ones in the top 30 that aren't either animated or sequels.  Most of the creators of interesting, original stories have gone to television it seems, where there's so much money going into so many new shows.

16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah, that, Sully, and Arrival are the only ones in the top 30 that aren't either animated or sequels.  

And Bad Moms, too

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Disney had 4 of the top 5, and 6 of the top 10 movies (domestically)

Compared to last year, when Universal had 3 of the top 6, and 6 of the top 20

9 hours ago, mstrox said:

The Force Awakens was an outlier, and I don't think anybody expected R1 to match it.  R1 has already topped Captain America: Civil War, and will end up second for the year to Finding Dory.  I'm pretty sure that Disney is pretty happy with the situation of all three of those movies.

It will easily outgross Finding Dory and become 2016's highest grossing movie

3 hours ago, Romão said:

It will easily outgross Finding Dory and become 2016's highest grossing movie

Yeah, it's outpacing Dory's US box office by a couple weeks, with similar opening weekend grosses. It'll probably move up to #1 this weekend or next.

10 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah, it's outpacing Dory's US box office by a couple weeks, with similar opening weekend grosses. It'll probably move up to #1 this weekend or next.

True, but that's 2017 money!  2016 belongs to the fish!

BTW, watched Finding Dory last Friday - it was pretty good.