Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

What do you mean second?  Didn't both Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker do that?

Kenny Baker is credited in Force Awakens as a consultant but didn't actually appear in the movie at all, right?

I think Kenny Baker was just given a customary credit for TFA, but he wasn't actually in the droid or on-set during filming. At least, according to this:

Baker has since revealed he was a "consultant" in the latest film and didn't wear the R2D2 costume. But is that really surprising given his age? He appeared at the London premiere of the film this week in a wheelchair, so perhaps he wasn't physically able to return to the role.

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2015/12/17/actors-who-play-r2d2-c3po-are-still-f

If McGregor gets a solo film before 2020, the character of Obi-Wan Kenobi will have appeared in a film every decade for half a century! :P

Slightly less impressive when you consider R2 and 3P0 share the honor, but cool trivia nonetheless.

Was this made in New Zealand? It looks like it was made in New Zealand. Will I see ex Shortland Street actors in this and random native Maoris playing bounty hunters?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Apparently Mon Mothma is the ROTS actress:

http://imgur.com/a/1Unyh

Many Bothans died to bring us this information.

In any case, it looks like a fun assignment for Alexandre Desplat.

Karol

58 minutes ago, Barnald said:

And where the fuck was Mon Mothma durin the Battles of Yavin and Hoth? This was Dodonna, Antilles and/or Rieekan's time to shine!

Surely she was with the fleet. It seems the Rebel fleet was always at some point of space, despite the location of the temporary base.

I'll be interested in listening to the soundtrack for this one, but I think I'll wait till the movie gets released on home media before I'll watch it.

1 hour ago, Scarpia said:

Mon Mothma made my day.

It's cool but does it justify the making of the movie? A Star Wars movie focused on the war thing only, ignoring completely the Jedi and the Force itself? Com'on... I pass.

There will be a Jedi/Force movie coming out next year.  This is just a holdover in between those main SW movies.

14 minutes ago, loert said:

I'll be interested in listening to the soundtrack for this one, but I think I'll wait till the movie gets released on home media before I'll watch it.

To judge the well and not so well uses of John Williams's music? If you want my two cents, that's pathetic.

What?  He said he'd wait till home media to watch the movie, not that he wouldn't listen to the score until after he'd seen the film.

He's essentially saying he doesn't care too much about the film, but is looking forward to hearing Desplat's score.  What gives you the right to call that pathetic?

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

To judge the well and not so well uses of John Williams's music? If you want my two cents, that's pathetic.

No...because I like Alexandre Desplat.

Ok if you are a Desplats lover... Sorry. I was taking the point of view of a JW fan.

Anyway, I can assure you this soundtrack will never enter my collection.

I'm sure I'll see it in theaters, but at least for now I'm definitely more excited for the album than the film, which to me looks like most contemporary action blockbusters but just with Star Wars stuff in it.

Maybe because there are no aliens in this trailer?

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Ok if you are a Desplats lover... Sorry. I was taking the point of view of a JW fan.

I'm a JWfan, and if I like Desplat's score in the film i will surely own it. 

There is no way Williams would have ever done this one, so its not like we are being deprived a Williams/Star Wars score.

13 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It's pretty narrow minded of you to assume everyone on this board only listens to John Williams scores and has no interest in other composers.

So is it a new trend in a Star Wars film to have a female lead? I don't mind actually, it turned out great in TFA.

Karol - who likes the trailer

Well the Han Solo, Boba Fett, and Obi-Wan movies certainly won't have female leads

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

A Star Wars movie focused on the war thing only, ignoring completely the Jedi and the Force itself? Com'on... I pass.

There's a strong chance Vader will be in this, and references to the Force are possible, but not every Star Wars movie requires Jedi or the Force.  Expand the galaxy a bit.

After 6 years of hundreds of hoards of boring Jedi wielding thousands of lightsabers, I was somewhat relieved TFA went back to basics.

Karol

The main thing I don't really like about this trailer is how poker-faced it is. The bits from the Force Awakens teasers that endeared me to the whole idea of it were Oscar Isaac shamelessly going "WHOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!" in an X-Wing, Boyega running around looking all sweaty and exhausted and freaked out, the smirk on Han Solo's face inside the Falcon. It looked like they were really going for it and I felt a lot of that come across in the film itself too.

I get that this is trying to be different but the tone of this trailer just gives me that kinda neutral, srs bsns vibe that always bores me in modern action movies. It looks cool and all but not getting much personality from this yet.

Nobody was ever really having a good time in Godzilla, either.  Maybe its Edwards' style

Based on his three features, he's not prone to hijinks or hyper-kinetic visuals.  It will definitely be a cinematic experience, though.  Dude's talented.  There's a difference between having a serious tone and having a flat one, or a miserable like some movies I can name.

I'd expect this to be more in the intense side, due to the particular suicide mission/heist thing subgenre they chose. That can actually be quite fun if you have good characters, but not necesarily in the same way as what TFA wants to be.

I actually really like the teaser so far. It's markedly different than The Force Awakens, and I'm digging the Zero Dark Thirty meets Star Wars vibe Edwards is going for. As long as the final film has some elements of fun, I'm fine with it being more serious than TFA.

The visuals look beautiful, but it has that overly clear digital look in sections (where Jyn talks with Mon Mothma). I'm hearing conflicting reports that Rogue One is shot entirely on the Arri Alexa and the Alexa 65, but also those cameras and 65mm film stock.

I'll definitely see it this Christmas.

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nobody was ever really having a good time in Godzilla, either.  Maybe its Edwards' style

Oddly enough, I didn't have a good time watching it.

I'm a huge fan of Edwards (adored both MONSTERS and GODZILLA for various reasons, especially his downtempo camera movements), so the film is in safe hands and looks stunning! Desplat, however, I'm more critical of. I've never liked him (with an exception or two), so I'm extremely skeptical. Especially if you're judging it by the HARRY POTTER scores, which were mostly directionless meandering and a far cry from Williams in any shape or form. But hey -- who knows? Maybe he'll be able do something great for this.