Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

The trailer looked intriguing and such smaller stories in galaxy far far away are full of possibilities.

Indeed.  They have to be different enough to prevent franchise fatigue.  Can't keep pumping out movies with the same main characters, tone, look, feel, story, etc.  If they play their cards right Disney can really make this take off.

Yes, for the most part Disney is hands-off and Kathleen Kennedy makes all the big calls.  I'm sure Disney has veto power in certain matters if they ever want to exercise it, since they are Kennedy's employer.  For the most part, it seems like Disney leaves their major "sub-brands" (Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm) to their own devices.

I think Disney is much more involved in the end-of-line stuff - moichandising, moichandising. 

13 hours ago, Woj said:

The sight of that massive shadow over the classic Star Destroyers as the turbolaser is slipped into place..... Squee! 

For me it looked like these award sfx reels... as if the death star 'layer' was being put, in a sweep, there for us to see what is CGI and whatnot.

It's strange seeing the classic AT-AT's and Imperial star destroyers in CGI.

18 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The Star Destroyers look completely white in the trailer, but I always thought they were grey?

This movie is set before the original Star Wars, when the Star Destroyers were new. They got dirty as the galactic civil war dragged on, what with all that Alderaan dust caked on. 

I thought the Star Destroyer looked, in the best possible way, like a miniature! It could just be the design of the shot of course but there was something about the movement and "feel" of it that looked more like a practical effect than CG.

As for the colour, I think it has more to do with the harsh lighting and high contrast in that shot than the actual colour of the ship.

17 hours ago, Matt C said:

She seems pretty solid so far. She's not Leia or Rey, she's more street-smart and determined.

I liked her "Yes, sir" line delivery. You can tell she wants to tell her superior to piss off.

The "I rebel" contained no menace or intent. This should have been an actress like Marine Vacth or Chloe Grace Moretz. Someone with a street edge.

Yeah, way too early to tell.

Having said that, I'm not much of a fan of Felicity Jones to begin with.

Those AT-ATs don't exactly look like classic AT-ATs which makes me wonder if they are prototypes or whether the Empire refitted them later on. You'll notice they don't have the eye slit nor do they seem to have chin cannons and their ears are shaped different. Or it could be they are variants like the AT-ST has canon variants. The bodies look the same though.

34 minutes ago, KK. said:

I'm not much of a fan of Felicity Jones to begin with.

The only other thing I've seen her in is when she played Stephen Hawkings' wife in that movie, and she was fine in that from what I remember.  No idea what she's like otherwise.

Oh, apparently I've seen her in an episode of Girls and TASM2 as well.  Don't recall her in those.

I remember Ford getting a bunch of criticism when the TFA trailer was released, with many saying it was obvious he didn't know how to play Han Solo anymore. I think his performance in the actual film proved otherwise. Let's just wait and see. 

On 4/8/2016 at 5:42 PM, Jay said:

The only other thing I've seen her in is when she played Stephen Hawkings' wife in that movie, and she was fine in that from what I remember.  No idea what she's like otherwise.

Oh, apparently I've seen her in an episode of Girls and TASM2 as well.  Don't recall her in those.

She played Felicia Hardy in that movie. She had like, what, two scenes tops?

5 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

He seemed more like Indy in ROTJ.  Felt more like Han in TFA though.

Hmm I saw Han in ROTJ, whereas I couldn't find it in TFA (not to mention Leia...).

I'm complaining about the lack of scale. You know, I like my Star Wars with that.

For example the teaser they made for this movie was cool in that area. However, that shot in the trailer makes the Death Star look small.

39 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Star Wars (1977) had tropical foliage, if you remember.

A desert or even an indistinct jungle seen from a far distance is fine but a war or battle against a backdrop of waving palm trees is just too specific and reminiscent of Vietnam. Of course, fans will always be fans, no matter what.

The superlaser disc was already built into the rest of the Death Star structure at the end of Episode 3. Unacceptable continuity error, this movie is dead to me.

But see, palm trees are a huge improvement over, say, the Stargate franchise, which only ever used the temperate trees available in British Columbia. 

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

The superlaser disc was already built into the rest of the Death Star structure at the end of Episode 3. Unacceptable continuity error, this movie is dead to me.

It broke during testing and had to be replaced?

2 minutes ago, Woj said:

It broke during testing and had to be replaced?

Perhaps that was just a prototype Death Star which was destroyed in an as-yet unseen Rebel attack, and the real Death Star is the one in Rogue One.

Or perhaps the Death Star in Rogue One is a decoy Death Star designed by Sheev to confuse everyone.

15 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Vaderrots.jpeg

I don't see any evidence of this, just super-structure.

50 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

+1

Palm trees?! Really? Star Wars goes Vietnam?

uhps guess Star Wars can't take inspiration from famous wars anymore. all the World War 2 analogies and inspiration, that's all fine, but the Vietnam War? Star Wars has gone too far.

rip star wars killed by Disney 1977-2016

48 minutes ago, crumbs said:

You can't see the superlaser disc to the immediate left of Vader's helmet?

There are gaps in it where you see the blackness of space through the disc. That might be the superstructure that holds the real reflector disc, to be added last. 

The fans: Yeah hah! More Death Star! 

2 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

uhps guess Star Wars can't take inspiration from famous wars anymore. all the World War 2 analogies and inspiration, that's all fine, but the Vietnam War? Star Wars has gone too far.

Not a problem, just as long as the backgrounds are otherworldly. Soon they are going to film Star Wars in the streets of New York with the Statue of Liberty in the background. The fans don't seem to mind. 

33 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Not a problem, just as long as the backgrounds are otherworldly.

Otherwordly? Like a desert? Or the European looking cities of Naboo?

Star Wars hasnt really done a lot of really "alien" landscapes. Maybe it's just not that kind of sci-fi.

A galactic junkyard planet like Ord Mantell would be great. And maybe even a futuristic city done properly, like McQuarrie's original concepts for Coruscunt.

Or how about a solar space station orbiting a gas giant (for the climax the First Order could sabotage the station and send it hurtling into the planet's atmosphere).

Or how about a Dyson Sphere? Probably the only way left for them to top the Death Star.

The only time Star Wars did really funky otherworldly planetary environments was to kill random Jedi in Ep 3 on pink and purple plastic planets straight out of 1960s Star Trek. But nobody remembers that shit.