Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Otherwordly? Like a desert? Or the European looking cities of Naboo?

Star Wars hasnt really done a lot of really "alien" landscapes. Maybe it's just not that kind of sci-fi.

Then you never understood Star Wars.

1 hour ago, Drax said:

I'd love to see a Canadian forest.

You will, after they did an massive air battle in L.A.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

The superlaser disc was already built into the rest of the Death Star structure at the end of Episode 3. Unacceptable continuity error, this movie is dead to me.

Well, none of these Disney Star Wars films are canon anyway. They trashed Lucas' sequel trilogy outline and continue to stray further and further from his original vision. The only spinoff films that are canon are the Ewok movies, which Lucas was actually involved with.

52 minutes ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

Well, none of these Disney Star Wars films are canon anyway. They trashed Lucas' sequel trilogy outline and continue to stray further and further from his original vision. The only spinoff films that are canon are the Ewok movies, which Lucas was actually involved with.

Are you suggesting that Lucas sold the rights to "his original vision" under duress? Somebody held a gun to his head and made him take the $4 billion? Poor guy, George Lucas was wronged. 

21 minutes ago, amh1219 said:

It must be exhausting being the only one who understands a work as complex as Star Wars. Guess the rest of us simpletons will just go on actually enjoying these new movies without you, flaws and all.

It’s good you know your place. 

"Alien" doesn't necesarily mean "not reminding you of Earth". 

The beach is okay. It's an entire galaxy, water is common, we've seen loads of planets with 1g, breathable atmosphere and normal surface pressure, and I'm pretty sure terraforming is possible for these folks. It fits.

The imposed technological limitations in the SW movies seem more about time travel, teleportation, anti-aging technology and a sort of technological stasis where things look a bit different every time but they work the same. Those are the limits of the sandbox more or less. Inside the sandbox, you can do almost anything.

12 hours ago, amh1219 said:

It must be exhausting being the only one who understands a work as complex as Star Wars. Guess the rest of us simpletons will just go on actually enjoying these new movies without you, flaws and all.

I couldn't have said it any better. Thanks!

I suppose that when they finished the computer generated imagery the movie will end up looking less earthbound than it does now. The first teaser of TFA also looked like it was taking place on Earth. 

I still see other problems though. For instance, that girl, her acting looks really woody and bad. And it's about the Death Star again. Why is the new Star Wars so uninspiring? Zzzzzzz!

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I couldn't have said it any better. Thanks!

I suppose that when they finished the computer generated imagery the movie will end up looking less earthbound than it does now. The first teaser of TFA also looked like it was taking place on Earth. 

I still see other problems though. For instance, that girl, her acting looks really woody and bad. And it's about the Death Star again. Why is the new Star Wars so uninspiring? Zzzzzzz!

You must be a big fan of Revenge of the Sith's Felucia then?

databank_felucia_01_169_2070e38e.jpeg

Karol

What about black holes? There's so much creepy dark matter in the universe, surely the First Order could go searching for something ancient and powerful, even moreso than the Force. An anti-Force if you will.

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

What about black holes? There's so much creepy dark matter in the universe, surely the First Order could go searching for something ancient and powerful, even moreso than the Force. An anti-Force if you will.

The expanded universe mentions black holes. In fact the place where the initial prototype of Death Star was built was called The Maw Installation which was situation in the middle of several black holes. From the all-knowing Wookiepedia:

Maw Installation was an Imperial research center established by Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin for the creation of superweapons. It was built from asteroids in the midst of the Maw Cluster, a virtually unnavigable cluster of black holes. Several battles have taken place on the research base.

13 minutes ago, Incanus said:

The expanded universe mentions black holes. In fact the place where the initial prototype of Death Star was built was called The Maw Installation which was situation in the middle of several black holes. From the all-knowing Wookiepedia:

People need to stop drawing attention to the fact that the Jedi Academy Series was a thing. 

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

You must be a big fan of Revenge of the Sith's Felucia then?

Dark_Side_Cave_TFUII_zps4yspal1c.png

Personally I prefer this to Draxian Stargate forests or waving palm trees.

Your Felucia pic is too Avatar-ish for my tastes.

Desert planets, ice planets, cloud cities, Death Star space stations, space, underwater cities, Ocean cities, Yoda's swamp planet... almost every frame of Star Wars is purposefully exotic designed not be be like Earth meant to take the viewer to other places like the Flash Gordon movies Lucas loved to watch. Your claim that Star Wars is meant to look very earthbound is bogus, just like the many monsters and creatures are not meant to be 'Earthy'.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 4:05 PM, Sharky said:

The "I rebel" contained no menace or intent. This should have been an actress like Marine Vacth or Chloe Grace Moretz. Someone with a street edge.

I'm reserving judgment until I see the movie, but I do wish that Tatiana Maslany (who was originally heavily rumored for the part) had gotten it just because I think she's so great.  She has that edge to her.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Desert planets, ice planets, cloud cities, Death Star space stations, space, underwater cities, Ocean cities, Yoda's swamp planet... almost every frame of Star Wars is purposefully exotic designed not be be like Earth meant to take the viewer to other places like the Flash Gordon movies Lucas loved to watch.

But these are just terrestrial biomes applied to an entire planet, like the following.

Naboo - Temperate deciduous/Mediterranean forests and grasslands

Endor - Temperate rainforest

New planet in Rogue One - Tropical rainforest

Planets of rock and sand (Mars) or ice (Pluto) are generally accepted depictions of other planets. For instance, to me, the water planet in Solyaris is without a doubt another example of an alien environment. When thinking of other planets, I doubt few people have a Vietnam panorama in mind. 

13 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Naboo is not near 'mediterranean forest' at all!

The vistas in the Lake Como bits are.

17 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Planets of rock and sand (Mars) or ice (Pluto) are generally accepted depictions of other planets. For instance, to me, the water planet in Solyaris is without a doubt another example of an alien environment. When thinking of other planets, I doubt few people have a Vietnam panorama in mind. 

Fair enough. I see what you're saying, but Mars and Pluto are uninhabitable rocks without breathable atmospheres. Tatooine is the Sahara desert x 50. Not exactly otherworldly, considering we'd already seen it in The Flight of the Phoenix and countless war movies from the 50s. The only differences between Tatooine and earth are cosmetic.

Rumor Mill: Is Alexandre Desplat still scoring Rogue One?

There’s some business issues. At this point there is no contract in place and it is a bit contentious. They’re looking at two other composers for the film should it go another way.

Kloser/Wanker?

John Williams has a pretty big hole in his schedule for the rest of this year. Just sayin'! ;)

But surely this is a beat-up. Desplat will do it.

a duo of composers would be more exciting than just Alexandre Desplat.

I yearn for a day where people stop judging a character or an actor's ability based on less than a minute of footage and a staggering 5 lines at most. its almost as bad when some people wrote off Kylo Ren as a character because they thought the lightsaber design was dumb. is it even possible to have meaningful speculation at this point? I feel like I should just wait until we hear a snippet of score before returning to the discussion, its either claims that its boring with no explanation, picking out at the tiniest details that won't even register when you go to see it (I know this from past experience from following TFA), or just fanboy things like 'ooo Deathstar and original designs' that you know were in there to tickle the nostalgia of everyone who watched it. I hope to God they have some kind of restraint and don't show Vader at all, seeing as how the rumours suggest its a near impossibility for him to not be present in Rogue One.

4 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Ooooh, a trustworthy source close to the activity you say?  :sarcasm:

Jason on MSW isn't going to reveal his sources (quite rightly) but he doesn't make stuff up. He must have been 95% correct about everything he said about TFA in advance. Anything he got wrong was generally a cut scene or unused concept. I trust him.

I'll start panicking when I hear an official announcement. I'll be damn disappointed if they replace Desplat, but at least they have plenty of time to do so. Perhaps the printer used for the contract is out of ink and they are trying to find a compatible ink cartridge asap. Or maybe Desplat saw how much Williams was paid for TFA and said "I want double!"