Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It means no further changes can be made to the cut of the film, only audio changes and final special effects being put in.

So the timing of all the scenes is set when "picture locks"?

1 hour ago, Bill said:

So the timing of all the scenes is set when "picture locks"?

Yea, that's exactly what it means.  End Credits roll excluded.

Usually the final 3 elements of the filmmaking process are the DI (colour grading), sound mix and laying in the visual effects shots (replacing all placeholder previz shots that sit in the film until finalised effects shots are approved).

The DI can't be completed until all the effects shots are placed in the film, but they'll grade everything else while waiting for any late VFX shots.

15 hours ago, Matt C said:

I'm sticking by Anita Busch's report about the Rogue One reshoots. Six weeks of reshoots, with filming six days out of the week, seem pretty significant to me.

Disney's not going to push the movie back either, they'll just pour more money to get it finished.

I heavily doubt the authenticity of the sources when all of that is drawn from the New York Post and the EW article. The former claiming to have 'exclusive sources to page 6' while not listing them seems rather dodgy, especially considering that clickbait title: "Disney execs in panic over upcoming Star Wars film".

EW as far as I know is the only article to add new information rather than re-hash what has already been said, hence why I'm leaning towards it.

EDIT: New York Post says 4 weeks of reshoots.

They will reshoot 40 % of the movie?

Hehe.

A Star wars movie without any Skywalker, without the Force... and even without the music of John Williams. Boring. Re-write it, re-shoot it, it was a bad idea from the start and it will remain.

2 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Familiarity equals bankability.

That's exactly what the Disney bigwigs are thinking right now.

Could be a long while until we get any really daring and unique SW films.

The film could be decent enough.

Being in the OT time set will help. No need of jedi or the force (we will have vader and the likes anyway). They just need to make Williams music justice and the film will be good. :P

To each his reason to love Star Wars.

For me , it never was for it's spaceships and the guns, or any of it's military aspect.

Do a movie based only on that and I'm out! A cameo by Vader or Mon Mothma will never be enough to catch my attention.

It will not even captivate a younger audience, cause it's a movie that looks already old and outdated.

I think the reason that the books get sometimes tiresome for me is because they were always huge adventures starring Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, C-3PO, R2-D2, and almost always Lando.  High-points of the old EU could be found in the Old Republic era, the Rogue Squadron novels, etc - that don't rely on squeezing all the big leads into the story.  I'm happy that some of the newer EU books (Aftermath, Lost Stars, etc) focus on all-new characters with basically cameo appearances from the Bigs - and I'm even happier that they're willing to give it a try with the movies, too. 

If Rogue One fails, I'm sure from there on forward it will all be Young Han, Young Boba, Young Yoda, Young Obi-Wan, Young Greedo, Young Lando, etc.

17 minutes ago, Bespin said:

To each his reason to love Star Wars.

For me , it never was for it's spaceships and the guns, or any of it's military aspect.

Do a movie based only on that and I'm out!

What makes you think this movie is only based on that?  It could have far more depth of character, atmosphere, and aesthetics than any of the previous installments.

You have the world (e.g. a huge galaxy with many different worlds, the Empire and the Force) and the vehicles (Star Destroyers :lovethis: , TIE Fighters, AT-ATs).

With those two base elements, there is a huge variety of stories that can be told with very differing tones.

Even when they change the era, they can use the occasional familiar planet, character or something Force-related.

I don't think an excessive amount of familiarity and retreading is necessary.

Definitely not to the point that they did with The Force Awakens, which was certainly well-done, but also pretty much a remake of the Original Trilogy.

After the first time I saw Episode 7, I basically considered it "Playing it Safe: The Movie" and that is exactly what it is.

I understand they're wary of taking any risks after the prequels debacle.

But surely movies can be different from the ones that already exist without making the mistakes that the prequels did?

Hell, the idea of the prequels themselves was not actually bad at all and they could have worked perfectly fine.

The base story may have required some tweaking and certainly the execution should have been different too.

But they could absolutely have worked if done well.

1 hour ago, TheWhiteRider said:

What makes you think this movie is only based on that?  It could have far more depth of character, atmosphere, and aesthetics than any of the previous installments.

depth of character?

What are you talking about? We are in 2016! :-)

Seriously, Star Wars lives because of the magic, if there was depth of character in Star Wars movies, since 1977, we would know it!

Where's the f*** magic in Rogue One?

12 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

I heavily doubt the authenticity of the sources when all of that is drawn from the New York Post and the EW article. The former claiming to have 'exclusive sources to page 6' while not listing them seems rather dodgy, especially considering that clickbait title: "Disney execs in panic over upcoming Star Wars film".

EW as far as I know is the only article to add new information rather than re-hash what has already been said, hence why I'm leaning towards it.

Deadline is a highly reliable Hollywood trade. They wouldn't have cited NYP if it wasn't from a reliable source.

While I don't think Disney and/or Lucasfilm is in a panic over Rogue One, THR says that the reshoots are "pretty significant." Which means a good portion of the movie is being reworked, whether it's close to half the film or just a small fraction. 

But reshoots do happen, and sometimes it improves the final product. I don't remember people saying "OMG that's doomed!" when Suicide Squad also underwent big reshoots.

52 minutes ago, Matt C said:

I don't remember people saying "OMG that's doomed!" when Suicide Squad also underwent big reshoots.

On 1-4-2016 at 8:03 AM, Alexcremers said:

So now they want to change into a comedy a la Deadpool? DC is yielding under the pressure of the critics again. Of course it's lame! They don't believe in their own original idea any more.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

It's a massive shame they didn't even attempt to keep this secret:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articles/36603978

What an absolutely awesome surprise that could have been. Pfft.. 

Didn't read the text on the bottom of the cover I posted yesterday?

On 6/22/2016 at 10:01 AM, Jay said:

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story