Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

24 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's hardly something that will come as a complete surprise even if they didnt report on it.

I honestly would never have anticipated seeing him in this movie. 

Obviously Vader wouldn't be involved in every skirmish that happens since The Rebels have started rebelling.  But the Death Star plans are like literally the biggest deal The Empire has.

Gareth Edwards says those Rogue One reshoots are no big deal

“I mean it was always part of the plan to do reshoots. We always knew we were coming back somewhere to do stuff. We just didn’t know what it would be until we started sculpting the film in the edit."

23 hours ago, Jay said:

It's a movie about stealing the plans to the Empire's new superweapon.  Darth Vader is the Empire's Force-wielding enforcer.  Why wouldn't he be in it?

Don't forget; he's also looking for his son.

The article jason posted says vader will be used sparingly and a a key scene.

More or less like his usage in 'Rebels'. One grand scene at the season finales.

I hope he is used a little more that....

they should make a Star Wars movie where Darth Vader is the main character. While James Earl Jones is still alive

Well something between ANH and TESB about what happened after the Death Star explosion and his search for for the rebels

Vader's inclusion is logical but also bit pointless.

Cause we already know that his...  sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped him conjure up the stolen data tapes or given him clairvoyance enough to find the Rebels' hidden fort– [grasps his throat as if he is being choked] ;)

Karol

They're better off doing Vader sparingly. 

It it would be impossible to make a Vader centric film and keep everybody happen. There's no point at this stage.

Did you know I did not really like it that they showed Vader sitting in that spherical thingy in TESB? Yes, even if the purpose of that spherical thingy was unclear, I thought the less they showed, the more intriguing Vader was. You could say I'm the opposite of KM.

Alex

I'm game if they use Vader sparingly as in ANH (SW).

I dont want just like in the end of the film a scene like this:

INT Communications chamber, Imperial Star Destroyer Devastator

Vader: "What is thy bidding my master?"

Emperor (in his huge hologram head guise): "Find these f*cking plans ASAP you useless punk!"

Vader: "As you wish, my Master. Nothing will stop us this time".

END CREDITS

14 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Does Vader have much of a doodle left? Does the suit help him pee and poo in a special way?

I don't remember this being answered in that Red Letter Media video.

It probably shrivelled up in the lava fire and dropped off.

22 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Did you know I did not really like it that they showed Vader sitting in that spherical thingy in TESB? Yes, even if the purpose of that spherical thingy was unclear, I thought the less they showed, the more intriguing Vader was. You could say I'm the opposite of KM.

In retrospect, the point was to show the 1980 audience,without the benefits of knowing the twist via prequels, that inside the black suit, or at least the helmet, Darth Vader is still a man. That's crucial because at no point did Ben ever make any distinction about that to Luke. Just that Darth Vader was the young pupil who betrayed and murdered Luke's father. And Yoda doesn't explain the significance of Luke inside Vader's helmet in the magic cave. 

So then when Vader reveals his secret to Luke, we're more prepared to accept the possibility that Darth Vader is not just a Droid with Jedi powers. He is a man, but of course he could be lying. 

In-universe, the sphere thingy is a meditation chamber where Vader can remove his claustrophobic helmet and feel like a human again. But that concept would have been explained later, not in the movie, it's not important, and it suggests Vader still has weak human emotions, which is unappealing for the character. 

Like I said, it was info which I didn't want to know ... 

9 minutes ago, WojinPA said:

That's crucial because at no point did Ben ever make any distinction about that to Luke.

I love that. Is he man or machine? In later movies, everything was connected and everyone was family of one another.

I still cant believe that people cpuld think the stormtroopers were droids.

Since i didnt think so, it's not far fetched to think vader is a human with a similar armor, much more cooler because he is a high ranked officer.

And since Ben says vader was his pupil... he is a human being.

In 1977, I didn't know that stormtroopers were human, nor that they were cloned. In a world of androids and robots, it wasn't a crazy thing to believe they weren't entirely human.

Is it not true that your Star Wars started with ROTJ, Skywalker?

@Luke Skywalker

It's possible. Especially since C3PO admits to being a Droid and he walks like he has a 2x4 stuck up his butt and wants it there. Most functional Droids seen in Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are either similar to Threepio or have wheels. The stormtroopers and Vader are big, full bodied, and move with the full dexterity of a person inside a suit, but the possibility still remains they could be a robot.

Anything you're not explicitly shown or explained in a fantasy world building movie like Star Wars is open to interpretation and assumption, which is bad when the big reveal requires some of these assumptions to be correct. 

Alex admits that in 1977, you don't know the stormtroopers are human, or that they could have been clones. Except we do see Luke and Han wearing stormtrooper uniforms. So at least a few of those soldiers are human, but drawing parallels to Vader based on the stormtroopers is still assumption based. 

Perhaps Brackett and Kasdan felt that Vader could benefit from showing the audience that he was still human inside the suit. That way Ben's talk of Vader being his pupil and the master-learner dialog between Kenobi and Vader cannot be dismissed as a robot remembering a past life. 

I appreciate that @Alexcremers doesn't want to know all this superfluous information, and that after 1977, it pulls the Star Wars universe in on itself. Three complete strangers in the first movie eventually become a dysfunctional family, while their robot toys just happen to have belonged to the parents. Star Wars is the strongest film in the series because it's the only one that can stand alone. 

Can't wait until Rey turns out to be the daughter of more than just Luke... Then it'll really be a convenient hand holding universe. 

I had seen the SW films without liking them.

Then I saw ANH and ESB on the cinema (SEs). And since ROTJ was the only one we had on tape then, i saw that several times and ended liking it a lot.

I can see people thinking the Troopers were droids, back in 1977, as it was a very groundbreaking film. But paying attention to the film and dialogue everything points towards the troopers being humans.

57 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

In 1977, I didn't know that stormtroopers were human, nor that they were cloned. In a world of androids and robots, it wasn't a crazy thing to believe they weren't entirely human.

Is it not true that your Star Wars started with ROTJ, Skywalker?

By the time of ANH, at least 23 years would have passed. That's plenty of time for 1/ the empire to conscript more people, 2/ the original clones to die-off, and 3/ some of them to have little clones of themselves, some of whom might want to go into the empire as a career-move (alright, it's possible!). The fact that the clones in EPs IV-VI are of different heights, suggests that they are human.

I have never bought into the idea that the Imperial Stormtroopers shown in the classic trilogy are still clones, nor will I. It's logistically impractical. 

I understand the rapid creation of a massive army of clones served a purpose in Palpatine's artificial war against the droids to weaken the Republic and usher in an Empire, which were then programmed to kill the Jedi. 

But a generation later, by the time of the original Star Wars, the clones are no longer needed. They're expensive to maintain. The millions of conquered worlds and billions of young able bodied human males need jobs and a purpose to stay busy and not incite rebellion. They make the perfect pool from which to replenish the stormtrooper army, as well as serve in the Imperial Navy. 

"Aren't you a little short to be a stormtrooper?"

0664dfd190a7b091967706916b20934887fd30ca

I remember the clones in AOTC as having an accelerated growth rate, so the Republic could constantly roll out fresh troops. That would mean in the 19 years between ROTS soon becoming pensioners and possibly suffering from all kinds of degenerative diseases.

The original Star Wars film vaguely suggested that the Stormtroopers were not droids.

The Force Awakens confirms that by that time, the Stormtroopers are definitely not clones, but normal people.

And the Star Wars Rebels TV show basically confirms that it was like that even before A New Hope as well.

So all official canon says that the Stormtroopers throughout the entire OT were not-cloned humans.

Regarding the more human motion of the Stormtroopers, it was easy to think that the Empire had the more advanced technology and that the people had to settle with antiques.

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I can see people thinking the Troopers were droids, back in 1977, as it was a very groundbreaking film. But paying attention to the film and dialogue everything points towards the troopers being humans.

I never thought the stormtroopers were droids

Because in the Star Wars universe it makes more sense to use technology than people. Technology vs people ... that sort of thing. It really wasn't as clear-cut as you youngsters think.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Was that really something people thought about in 1977? To the extent we do today? I somehow doubt it.

More than now. Cinema was more smart in the '70s. Star Wars made it dumb again.