Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

It was down to the wire but Lucasfilm got there after a rough few months wrestling the film into shape following extensive reshoots with the help of ‘Bourne’ series scribe Tony Gilroy. More details about Gilroy’s involvement in the project emerged today in a THR article about his deal.

It turns out his pay for the film grew from $200,000 a week to a total of just over $5 million as his work on the spin-off expanded. Initially he was brought in back in June to just polish some dialogue and scenes for the reshoots.

However the workload and reshoots expanded, Gilroy then took a leading role with Edwards in post-production and helped fix several issues including the ending. Ultimately his paycheck expanded as his work on the film stretched from June until well into the Fall.

Not a bad payday for 6 months work. Seems like much more than "polishing" what Edwards had made.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/gilroy-paid-well-to-fix-rogue-one-ending/

12 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Expect a "co-directed by" credit...i suppose.

They changed the ending... for a happy to sour one...or the other way around???

Seems pretty obvious how it ends -- no doubt Disney execs were nervous by however Edwards realised it. There's many ways to crack an egg, even if the ending is depressing. Just look at how Ridley handled Thelma and Louise. ;)

10 minutes ago, Alex Shore said:

Horrible film editing by one of the worst editors in Hollywood : Jabez Olssen ( THE HOBBIT TRILOGY)

Nothing inherently wrong in the editing on those films. Their problems were a direct result of poor decisions by the senior filmmakers. You can't just turn two films into three after production is half finished. The Hobbit will long remain a case study in how filmmakers can become misguided when money dictates the creative.

And don't forget Jamie Selkirk did an exemplary job editing Return of the King ..... then followed it up with that overblown, pretentious, bloated mess King Kong. Connect the dots.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Nothing inherently wrong in the editing on those films. Their problems were a direct result of poor decisions by the senior filmmakers. You can't just turn two films into three after production is half finished. The Hobbit will long remain a case study in how filmmakers can become misguided when money dictates the creative.

Christ, the cynicism on JWFAN gets tiring sometimes.

19 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Christ, the cynicism on JWFAN gets tiring sometimes.

Cute.

By the way, please point me to a single post where I chastised a note of Howard Shore's exemplary work on the Hobbit films?

And anyone who doesn't consider the Hobbit trilogy a cynical expedition in modern Hollywood politicking is being willfully ignorant (and I'll be the first to admit what is happening to Star Wars is similar -- I wouldn't be surprised to see Episode X announced after Episode VIII is released). The point I made in the other thread (which you completely ignored) is that maybe people could wait until after the films are released to form opinions, rather than determining them off 30 second clips.

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Oy! Calm down, buddy! I was just kidding!

Fuck's sake. JWFAN is becoming more and more tense with each new film/score release...

Let's all relax, shall we!

Never! Everything must be irrational and impetuous!

1170202.jpg

19 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Oy! Calm down, buddy! I was just kidding!

Fuck's sake. JWFAN is becoming more and more tense with each new film/score release...

Let's all relax, shall we!

The JWFanner must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind!

Check out this clip:

I like they are continuing the tradition of getting really good actors in the roles of the older characters (and relatively unknowns for the main heroes).  It's going to be a pleasure watching Mikkelsen and Mendelsohn in this

These two TV spots are great!

The music isn't Giacchino, but it's pretty great and some of the better stuff we've heard from the spots, particularly in the bottom one, which is glorious all-around in a way not seen in Star Wars TV spots since TFA's. 

You might hear some JW themes... ;)

(Oh, and please don't call me a neo-JWFan! :P

Bottom one's music is by these guys: https://www.facebook.com/ReallySlowMotion/

I'm not a big fan of Rebels but it's cool to see the Ghost in Rogue One! Hopefully it's revealed that it has a different crew because the TV show's characters were all brutally murdered by Darth Vader. And he also killed Thrawn. Because reasons. 

There's no reason Hera, Zeb and Sabine can't live, but Ezra and Kanan need to go to support the idea that Luke is the last of the Jedi (and Rebels established that Yoda could commune with remaining Jedi through the Force, so he would have known Luke was the last).

24 minutes ago, Gistech said:

There's no reason Hera, Zeb and Sabine can't live, but Ezra and Kanan need to go to support the idea that Luke is the last of the Jedi (and Rebels established that Yoda could commune with remaining Jedi through the Force, so he would have known Luke was the last).

Oh they can technically survive alright. I would just rather they didn't. 

I think all the main character in this film should die dramatically...

but then i noticed that they could go on missions different that luke leia and co... and never be seen in the OT, and since they are re-writting everything... then anything is possible...sadly.

She will the films closing narration.

"They died fighting against the tyranny of the Empire. They died because they believed in a bigger cause. Freedom, liberty and The Force. They did not die in vain, because those who are left will continue the struggle. We have seen the difference a few can make, we fight with....a new hope!"

13 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Yes, and god knows there has been an awful lot of Star Wars TV spots since TFA!

Well, essentially what I mean is that there haven't been any Rogue One spots this good yet (and there have been a LOT!) ;)

Tracklist

1.He's Here For Us
2.A Long Ride Ahead
3.Wobani Imperial Labor
4.Trust Goes Both Ways
5.When Has Become Now
6.Jedha Arrival
7.Jedha City Ambush
8.Star-Dust
9.Confrontation on Eadu
10.Krennic's Aspirations
11.Rebellions Are Built on Hope