Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

It seems George Lucas loved the movie!

It's worst than I expected.

He wasn't going to say he didn't, he knows Disney will cut him up. Secretly, I suspect Lucas is bitter about the whole Disney deal, and the fact they ignored his ideas for TFA.

25 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

There are no interesting news to bring to the forum anymore!

It's all stuff like "Desplat replaced by Djiatchino on Rogue one!", "Williams replaced by Djiatchino on Indiana Jones 5!", "Shore replaced by Djiatchino on Tolkien biopic", "Trump replaced by Djiatchino as President Of The United-States Of America!" and "Djiatchino biopic on its way, score by Djiatchino!".

The most exciting news will be the answer to the question "Who Will Be the New Djiatchino?".

I read the tracknames of the score.... The Whills? Those witnesses of the Galaxy, who signed the prologue to the first Star Wars book (if you already read the novel).

Interresting.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PhdtUAVDCmI/TmvWpKF9K_I/AAAAAAAACPM/Nzw-wNuuIak/s1600/Untitled-2.jpg

Curious that this concept comes back in Rogue One, as Lucas himself completely removed it from his Prequels...

"The secret of the Ancient Order of the Whills, he studied."
Yoda to Obi-Wan Kenobi on Qui-Gon Jinn[src]

The Ancient Order of the Whills was a higher order of beings deeply connected with the Force. They had holy men known as Shamans.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ancient_Order_of_the_Whills

Here's the original story:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-rogue-one-gareth-edwards-20161201-story.html

Interesting comments on "documentary style."

8 hours ago, RPurton said:

He wasn't going to say he didn't, he knows Disney will cut him up. Secretly, I suspect Lucas is bitter about the whole Disney deal, and the fact they ignored his ideas for TFA.

I'm sure he's still bitter, but at the same time he must be happy to see a film being made that explores the SW universe in interesting ways like his Clone Wars series, and presumably relies a little less on fan service. I'm sure it's not as daring as George would like (after all, its vehicles, etc. will likely be very close to the OT) but at least it's a step forward from TFA in that direction, presumably!

LOL i just noticed that if this film is a boxoffice hit we will have a 'Rogue Two'

We will know what happened to those bothans! And i would be nice if they could squeeze some part of Shadows of the Empire related to it...

32 minutes ago, Will said:

Here's the original story:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-rogue-one-gareth-edwards-20161201-story.html

Interesting comments on "documentary style."

I'm sure he's still bitter, but at the same time he must be happy to see a film being made that explores the SW universe in interesting ways like his Clone Wars series, and presumably relies a little less on fan service. I'm sure it's not as daring as George would like (after all, its vehicles, etc. will likely be very close to the OT) but at least it's a step forward from TFA in that direction, presumably!

He regrets selling his vision to a bunch of white slavers!

14 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

LOL i just noticed that if this film is a boxoffice hit we will have a 'Rogue Two'

Lucasfilm won’t make a Rogue One sequel, because that would just be Star Wars

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

And what about the few hours between Rogue One and Star Wars, do you really think it doesn't deserve a movie???

I think there are ways to bring the characters back without making a true sequel to Rogue One.  A handful of the new heroes would likely make for good cameos in Star Wars Rebels (which, at this point, is a year or two before R1/SW).  Their further adventures could be explored in books and comics.  The survivors (assuming there are survivors, and I'm sure a handful will survive) could appear in other spin-off movies taking place in the classic era.  There's a big three year gap in the Rebellion between SW and ESB, after all, and while the canon comics mainly focus on that time period, very little actually involves the Rebellion outside of the Big Three.

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

GOd they even named it the same as me...

But i mean not a true sequel. Another cast of characters (why not, all bothan spies) to show us what did they do to steal the information regarding the second death Star.

If they did this one...why not another one.

I think that they were just adressing that they wont be making a series of films with this cast.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Are you ordering the black and white edition of Fury Road, BB?

Should be amazing!

Not you too. Never understood the black and white fetish. Seems so Alexcremers. Must be a low-country thing. 

23 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I think there are ways to bring the characters back without making a true sequel to Rogue One.  A handful of the new heroes would likely make for good cameos in Star Wars Rebels (which, at this point, is a year or two before R1/SW).  Their further adventures could be explored in books and comics.  The survivors (assuming there are survivors, and I'm sure a handful will survive) could appear in other spin-off movies taking place in the classic era.  There's a big three year gap in the Rebellion between SW and ESB, after all, and while the canon comics mainly focus on that time period, very little actually involves the Rebellion outside of the Big Three.

What about the ESB-ROTJ period?

Just now, Luke Skywalker said:

What about the ESB-ROTJ period?

It's a briefer period, and currently one that's completely unexplored in-canon.  We don't really know what's up with the Rebels in Return of the Jedi.  They rendezvous in deep space in Empire, and then we see them amassing in space again mid-ROTJ.  We can make a reasonable assumption about what the heroes were up to (chasing leads on Boba Fett), but the Rebellion is unknown.  So there's plenty of fertile ground there, too.  And they could honestly make movies post-ROTJ just as well

25 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No one here has seem the film, but they are already dying to see a sequel!

Fucking lemmings!

I don't think there should be a sequel.  But in the grand scheme of the Star Wars canon, which covers a variety of media and a variety of time periods, I do like to see a returning character where it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Nope. It explains what Luke, Leia and co did between ESB and ROTJ.

It's also not the "official story" - any books/comics/shows/media that cover their adventures in that time period will be the official canon.  I'm sure that the comics will get there eventually, when they feel like they've exhausted the IV-V time period.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Yes, but Luke, Leia and co still show up in this story.

And now I remember: Shadows Of The Empire does start during ESB, the Battle of Hoth to be precise, but then continues after that, all the way up to the beginning of ROTJ.

The videogame was told from the perspective of Dash Rendar.

The novel and Comic were told as a story about the main characters. They hired dash rendar to help them.

To show you what a casual Star Wars fan I am, I didn't even realize Shadows was anything but an N64 game.  I think I've read exactly one expanded universe book ever and never any comics.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

The game did have some pretty hard-to-beat levels. Fun game, nonetheless.

The book could even be read by a 10-year-old, though. ;)

Ah, OK. So I mixed things up. I remember Dash from the game and Luke and Leia scenes from the book (like Xizor trying to seduce Leia, for example. Or was it the other way around?).

I used to play SoTE on my N64 all the time, running around the levels and "creating my own adventure"/story.  I was a kid at the time, doy doy doy.  I did the same thing with Dark Forces and Jedi Knight on PC.

Xizor seduced Leia with his potent pheromones, but her will was too powerful.  She wanted to, though, for a little ;)

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

To show you what a casual Star Wars fan I am, I didn't even realize Shadows was anything but an N64 game.  I think I've read exactly one expanded universe book ever and never any comics.

You never heard the score? It's quite good!