Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Did you like the film more or less than you like The Force Awakens film?

Less. But that doesn't mean it's bad. It's decent. THE FORCE AWAKENS was, after all, one of my favourite movies last year.

He was fine. He was certainly no C3PO. Much more toned down, and -- I would say -- properly used. The only comic sidekick in the film. I would be surprised if he caused any irritation a la Jar Jar.

Did I? I read and re-read my post to check if I had revealed any plot point at all, and I couldn't find any. Everything had to do with structure, visuals and sound. Unless people weren't aware that Jimmy Smits starred in the film?! It's been known for some time now.

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Monday?

Why not see it tomorrow night?

I'm seeing it Saturday morning.  Have to work around good babysitter times.  I don't come here on weekends. I prefer to be paid ;)

With that said, NOW I'll see you nerds in this thread on Monday.

Thor's comments (particularly on the score) are very disappointing.

But I remember back to Thor's rather negative initial comments on the TFA score, which were a real drain on my enthusiasm, and realize that I need to hold my opinions.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I'm seeing it Saturday morning.  

Saturday afternoon!

Glad I'm not the only one who can't see it till then. 

27 minutes ago, Will said:

Thor's comments (particularly on the score) are very disappointing.

But I remember back to Thor's rather negative initial comments on the TFA score, which were a real drain on my enthusiasm, and realize that I need to hold my opinions.

You should also bear in mind that I have major issues with Giacchino as a composer. I'm not denigrating my own view, which I stand by 100%, but from experience, I'm expecting a lot of fans to like this.

Just wait a day or two, and we'll be discussing this film and score with spoilers aplenty! (I'm probably going to phase out like I usually do when the discussion takes off with hundreds of posts every day; I like my STAR WARS, but I'm not as "into it" or obsessed with it as many others).

Embargo's over, apparently.

I am going to quote some negative reviews, but remember that most are positive! (Variety, EW, Vanity Fair, Chicago Tribune, etc.)

Holy crap -- the NYTimes review is pretty darn negative:

Oh, and don't read it if you're avoiding spoilers -- there's a very big hint about a certain scene!

Millions of people will sit through this thoroughly mediocre movie (directed with basic competence by Gareth Edwards from a surprisingly hackish script by Chris Weitz and Tony Gilroy) and convince themselves that it’s perfectly delightful. It’s so much easier to obey than to resist. The spoiler warning sent by the Disney empire instructed journalists to “continue to be our partners on this journey,” and defiance is unthinkable, even if “partner” is taken as a synonym for “shill.”

But the injunction not to ruin anyone’s good time by “revealing spoilers and detailed story points” is itself revealing, an indication of the meager and disposable pleasures this movie is meant to provide, and also of the low regard its makers have for the audience. It hasn’t always been this way, of course.

Ooooooof!!

Did Disney threaten to take his first child or something if he wrote something negative or revealed spoilers?!

This guy didn't write the TFA review (which was very positive - http://nyti.ms/2hjvlOr), so there's no comparison we can make. 

But he continues ripping into the film:

Now, though, it is starting to feel like drudgery, a schoolbook exercise in a course of study that has no useful application and that will never end. 

He does say some positive things, but the general gist is negative. 

Here is a round-up of some other reviews:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/movies/reviews-star-wars-rogue-one.html

Mostly positive, as we've heard, but there are some very high profile negatives -- NYT, of course, as well as Richard Brody in the New Yorker (http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/rogue-one-reviewed-is-it-time-to-abandon-the-star-wars-franchise):

The director of “Rogue One,” Gareth Edwards, has stepped into a mythopoetic stew so half-baked and overcooked, a morass of pre-instantly overanalyzed implications of such shuddering impact to the series’ fundamentalists, that he lumbers through, seemingly stunned or constrained or cautious to the vanishing point of passivity, and lets neither the characters nor the formidable cast of actors nor even the special effects, of which he has previously proved himself to be a master, come anywhere close to life.

Of course, Brody has heaped praise on Lucas for AOTC and ROTS, and criticized Williams' SW scores, so...

EDIT: Read this line to get a sense of Brody's general views:

There’s none of the Shakespearean space politics, enticingly florid dialogue, or experiential thrills of the best of George Lucas’s “Star Wars” entries (“Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith”). 

EDIT: Brody's review has what might be considered major spoilers!! :(

9 hours ago, Thor said:

The theme for Jyn sounds like a watered-down version of "Across the Stars", which wouldn't be too bad in and of itself. But imagine that theme boiled down to just 4 chords without any melody line on top of it.

Ah, just as I feared then. Pity.

Actually, most of my film critic colleagues here in Norway were impressed by the film and gave it a 5 of 6 rating. I seem to be in the minority (what else is news?) with my more lukewarm response, and altogether negative regarding the music.

It's true that the embargo is over, but not sure I should start discussing spoilerish elements just yet? When would it be OK to post thoughts on spoilerish elements?

16 hours ago, Will said:

Embargo's over, apparently.

I am going to quote some negative reviews, but remember that most are positive! (Variety, EW, Vanity Fair, Chicago Tribune, etc.)

Holy crap -- the NYTimes review is pretty darn negative:

Oh, and don't read it if you're avoiding spoilers -- there's a very big hint about a certain scene!

Ooooooof!!

Did Disney threaten to take his first child or something if he wrote something negative or revealed spoilers?!

This guy didn't write the TFA review (which was very positive - http://nyti.ms/2hjvlOr), so there's no comparison we can make. 

But he continues ripping into the film:

He does say some positive things, but the general gist is negative. 

Here is a round-up of some other reviews:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/movies/reviews-star-wars-rogue-one.html

Mostly positive, as we've heard, but there are some very high profile negatives -- NYT, of course, as well as Richard Brody in the New Yorker (http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/rogue-one-reviewed-is-it-time-to-abandon-the-star-wars-franchise):

Of course, Brody has heaped praise on Lucas for AOTC and ROTS, and criticized Williams' SW scores, so...

EDIT: Read this line to get a sense of Brody's general views:

EDIT: Brody's review has what might be considered major spoilers!! :(

Don't stress yourself out about what other people think about movies on your radar. You have your own mind do you not? 

Quintus - will probably watch this in the new year. 

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Just came back from watching the film.

Liked it overall, even though it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. Some things didn't sit right with me...

Reveal hidden contents

some of the dialogue is a bit clunky, I wish there had been more character development, and the very end feels EXTREMELY rushed but on the whole, it's a satisfying enough experience (it may be a bit more flawed compared to TFA, but at the same time, it tries to offer more new and interesting things compared to that film, so that's a plus).

I'll post more thoughts once we start a spoilers-allowed thread (maybe I'll start it if Thor is too afraid to do so!).

I opened that spoiler tag and I regret it. :lol:

Took a similar risk with TFA and got Han's death spoiled.

Just a warning to everyone who's avoiding spoilers - this is a MAJOR one. 

Saw the film this afternoon: it's good. I wasn't too fond of TFA -it even made me sick of Star Wars-, but Rogue One is a much more satisfying film and brings back some of the love. It feels like it's actually trying to tell a coherent story which ties in perfectly with Episode IV.

6 hours ago, king mark said:

Does any of the reviews mention the lack of John Williams score or nobody gives a shit except us?

Review roundup 

The San Francisco Chronicle has 2 mentions of the music in their mostly negative review, stating:

and the angle and the music, which sounds like John Williams but not as good, announces that this is a “Star Wars” movie. 

It’s a downer. It’s morally tangled. The characters are as depressed as the scenario, and Michael Giacchino’s music can’t make it better. 

The Miami Herald:

“Rogue One” is the first “Star Wars” movie that doesn’t open with a blast of John Williams’ symphonic score (the music is by Michael Giacchino). It doesn’t have an opening crawl or even much use for the Force. The changes don’t pay off, though, because the movie doesn’t offer anything memorable enough to replace them.

Cinemalogue writes:

The split-personality disorder is multiplied by Michael Giacchino’s (characteristically) anemic score, standing in for the superlative Alexandre Desplat who bowed out due to scheduling conflicts.  While John Williams is no Nino Rota, indiscriminately stealing from Holst, he does understand the importance of strong themes.

Philly.com has this to say:

Drafted by experienced composer Michael Giacchino (Doctor Strange, Star Trek Beyond), the music uses famous passages from Williams’ sweeping Star Wars score. Here again, Rogue One overdoes it, cramming the grand orchestral score into every inch of the movie. 

Reelview

His work here is better than his contributions to the Star Trek films and a huge step-up from Doctor Strange but it could be argued that his source material is stronger. When it comes to remixing Williams’ cues, Giacchino is at the top of his game. His original contributions aren’t as impressive. 

The Star

(Conversely, when John Williams’ familiar Star Wars theme sounds from amidst Michael Giacchino’s clamorous score, it’s a balm to battered ears.)

Chicago Sun times deducted a few points, among other reasons for the score:

and the score was a bit heavy-handed and overbearing in the transitions from “inspirational music to accompany our heroes” to “foreboding harbinger of bad things to come” when various villains enter the picture.

All in all, the score isn't mentioned too much in either positive or negative reviews. Maybe a third of the reviews I read mentioned it, meaning it probably does its job without being great