Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards 2016)

It suddenly occurred to me that it's my day off today and with nothing in particular to do, so I thought why not, and now here I am sat in the theatre waiting for it to start. My first time going solo at the cinema, actually. As for Gia, maybe this is the time he surprises me... 

4 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I think I prefer Keiner's work on the Clone Wars. 

Ouch!

52 minutes ago, tUfnTIEfighter said:

Cinemalogue writes:

The split-personality disorder is multiplied by Michael Giacchino’s (characteristically) anemic score, standing in for the superlative Alexandre Desplat who bowed out due to scheduling conflicts.  While John Williams is no Nino Rota, indiscriminately stealing from Holst, he does understand the importance of strong themes.

This one is impressive. Not only it takes Giacchino down a few pegs it also makes a sly underhanded stab at Williams' abdomen with the sneering comment and reducing his musical contributions to mere pastiche of Holst. Nice but rather predictable. Only about 30+ years late.

Just now, Richard said:

'Split-personality disorder"????!!!!!

WHAT THE FUCK??????????!!!!!!!!!! :o

Don't worry, it doesn't describe the characters. It is not a spoiler.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

I don't care if its not a spoiler.

I take offence that a national newspaper can't even be fucked to describe something correctly.

There is no such disorder!

Are you angry at the use of a figure of speech now?

I am seeing the film in about 9 hours. Not especially pumped but looking forward to a diverting couple of hours.

15 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Ouch!

This one is impressive. Not only it takes Giacchino down a few pegs it also makes a sly underhanded stab at Williams' abdomen with the sneering comment and reducing his musical contributions to mere pastiche of Holst. Nice but rather predictable. Only about 30+ years late.

Ahsoka's theme and the Clone motif are both better than any of the new themes and I always thought his sparse use of JW's music was well thought out and was more impactful as a result. His work on Rebels is a different kettle of fish.

Gia only had 4 weeks, fair enough but the over bearing brass probably wasn't a result of a short timeframe. 

11 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Ahsoka's theme and the Clone motif are both better than any of the new themes and I always thought his sparse use of JW's music was well thought out and was more impactful as a result. His work on Rebels is a different kettle of fish.

Gia only had 4 weeks, fair enough but the over bearing brass probably wasn't a result of a short timeframe. 

I am now interested to hear how the music works on disc.

52 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I am now interested to hear how the music works on disc.

I heard snippets last night but not enough to comment. I shall download on Spotify in the morning and pick up my CD before work. 

9 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Is it synthish, orchestral or a bit of both?

It was actually played too loud. I assumed it was all orchestral but I'd need headphones to be sure!

I'll write something quick for the Newer films thread then dive into the Spoiler Space thread  but..... am I imaging things, or was there a ton of stuff from the trailers that just wasn't in the film at all?

Just now, Jay said:

I'll write something quick for the Newer films thread then dive into the Spoiler Space thread  but..... am I imaging things, or was there a ton of stuff from the trailers that just wasn't in the film at all?

See this post:

Bah! That's what you always say. But like TFA, the "greatest SW movie ever" will be around this place for months.

I can't wait for the "Is Jyn's theme Williams' best theme?" thread!

5 minutes ago, KK said:

I can't wait for the "Is Jyn's theme Williams' best theme?" thread!

Don't tempt me!

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Does a character says "THE" sentence in this movie?

What is "THE" sentence? I have a bad feeling about this? May the force be with you? I'm your father? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO? Wessa gonna die?

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Don't tempt me!

What is "THE" sentence? I have a bad feeling about this? May the force be with you? I'm your father? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO? Wessa gonna die?

We're Doomed!

Sorry: "I have a bad feeling about this."

You know the problem with this word..."Mostly"...

Let's speaking of French a little bit.

In french we can say: surtout, principalement, essentiellement, majoritairement, généralement, habituellement, quasiment, pratiquement, presque.

All these word have their own meaning in french, their own subtility, but they all define the word "Mostly" in English.

So what I understand is that they don't say it, word by word.

I'm happy with that. This sentence is reserved for the true Star Wars movies. Pheew.

5 minutes ago, KK said:

So for those who have watched it, is there more or less "fanboy service" here than TFA?

I'd say is pretty much on par. Some of the stuff is a bit shoehorned

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

So what I understand is that they don't say it, word by word.

That's mostly not true.

2 minutes ago, Romão said:

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Yea, about the same probably

No, less!

Unless you consider having characters like Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, etc. in the film like fan service, but it's not, since they have every reason to be here.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

That's mostly not true.

No, less!

Unless you consider having characters like Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, etc. in the film like fan service, but it's not, since they have every reason to be here.

Those were not the examples I was thinking about

2 minutes ago, Romão said:

yes.

But this film has the benefit of quoting events that will happen in a few hours/days

TFA referenced things happening 30 years ago as if they had happened yesterday.

10 minutes ago, KK said:

So for those who have watched it, is there more or less "fanboy service" here than TFA?

Still too much. It's still typical Star Wars, to a point that you've seen it all before, but it's less a carbon copy that TFA is.