Empire Of The Sun - La-La Land 2CD

Jay

Just readign the great article Mike wrote for JWfan and here's a really genuine question: we're told multiple times how supportive JW and Spielberg were of this expansion. Why, then, did they wait for someone like Mike to come along for 25 years? Wouldn't it have been easier and more rewarding for everyone involved to just do a proper release on day 1? Would anyone have objected?

At day 1, OSTs where released on LPs and there was no real demand for complete scores.

Now, MM make us believe in magic, but trust me, he have to make a hell of a job of digital restoration to accomplish that, a sterling work which was simply not possible 25 years ago.

I bought the EotS soundtrack three times. First the LP, then the CD, then the expansion. And I didn't really miss anything in the original album. But on the expansion I am mostly grateful for the alternatives. And nobody includes alternate tracks to an original album. 

On 2/27/2021 at 5:22 PM, theMaestraX said:

Still got my OST sealed still from Amoeba Records Hollywood but loving the expansion.

Takes one look at the OST tracklist

Good, keep it that way.

finished disc 1. That end credits track is so much better than the re-recording, although the quality of the re-recording is undoubtedly better. I wish Williams hadn't modified all those pieces for the Spielberg albums and just re-recorded what he originally wrote. Especially his arrangements for mixed choir are off, I always prefer the film versions.

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/27/2021 at 4:22 PM, theMaestraX said:

Still got my OST sealed still from Amoeba Records Hollywood but loving the expansion.

Hmmm I might now do it......unseal.

On 2/28/2021 at 5:16 AM, GlastoEls said:

Awaiting re-stock for me!

Same! Never got a chance to pick this up but it's a fantastic release. Hopefully I'll be able to get it with the Disaster Box and another new LLL/JW title that hasn't come out yet.

• 4 months later...

Hi all - I've owned this CD for some time, but I only recently ripped it to to my computer and listened through the entire presentation. I did some searching on this topic, and didn't find anything, so I'm curious - does anyone else have a very blown out sound on disc 2, track 8, right at the 1 minute mark (Cadillac of the Skies, Alt)? For me, right when the cymbal crashes, the next few seconds have quite a bit of crackling. Just want to make sure I'm not the only one, and given that nobody else mentioned it, it made me wonder. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can confirm or deny!

It sounds good to me.  What are you listening on?

If it’s an Apple device, I’ve had that problem before.  In the music settings, make sure you turn off “Sound Check.”  In general, I’d recommend checking your equalizer settings.

13 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

Hi all - I've owned this CD for some time, but I only recently ripped it to to my computer and listened through the entire presentation. I did some searching on this topic, and didn't find anything, so I'm curious - does anyone else have a very blown out sound on disc 2, track 8, right at the 1 minute mark (Cadillac of the Skies, Alt)? For me, right when the cymbal crashes, the next few seconds have quite a bit of crackling. Just want to make sure I'm not the only one, and given that nobody else mentioned it, it made me wonder. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can confirm or deny!

Thanks for the reply - no, just a straight flac rip to my PC, and then listening via VLC. No issues with other recent rips, and this one was verified through AccuRip and all came back as good, so it's very strange. Maybe one of the later pressings has an issue, who knows. 

Here is a short excerpt at that spot from my flac rip - maybe I'm just going crazy, but when I turn it up, there is a decent amount of distortion at the hit around 6 seconds.

Apologies if attaching audio like this isn't allowed - I'm hoping that it's short enough to not be an issue.

08 - Cadillac of the Skies (Alternate) - Excerpt.flac

On 2/27/2021 at 8:19 PM, Bespin said:

Now, MM make us believe in magic, but trust me, he have to make a hell of a job of digital restoration to accomplish that, a sterling work which was simply not possible 25 years ago.

25 years ago, restoration wouldn't have been needed...

54 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

25 years ago, restoration wouldn't have been needed...

FALSE.

The hardest part of restoring music from a tape, is to repair the micro audio dropouts on both channels (left and right).

On 7/27/2021 at 12:09 AM, Holko said:

I have that too IIRC.

Thanks for letting me know - still glad to have the track, of course. The brass playing is lovely.

• 6 months later...
3 minutes ago, Jay said:

MV just indicated this will be back in stock for its FINAL batch in "Mid March"

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=146835&forumID=1&archive=0

Please, if you want this, don't miss out!

Indeed! Can't wait to finally tick this one off my list.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

I can't see it selling out very fast - it was released almost a decade ago.

It's also been out of stock for a few years. So anyone who spent the last few years wanting it will be rushing to pick up their copy before it goes OOP.

37 minutes ago, crypto said:

Indeed! Can't wait to finally tick this one off my list.

It's also been out of stock for a few years. So anyone who spent the last few years wanting it will be rushing to pick up their copy before it goes OOP.

I will indeed be one of those people :)

This is a score that I hardly ever listen to. For once, I said it before, the score is very diverse with orchestral pieces, various pure percussion pieces, Chopin's piano piece, songs. I am hardly in a mood, that longs for all these kinds of music. A little bit like my issue with the JFK OST.

Or maybe it is because this is not a Spielberg movie that relies on or needed to be saved by its score. 

It contains great pieces and the music is great in the movie. But this is a score that dispenses with main themes or leitmotifs. That makes the listening a little more chellenging than other scores to me.

But still it is a great score for one of Spielbergs best movies. 

26 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Amazing!  Waited a long time to tick this one off.  

Double purchase with Fiddler. 

Good luck with that...maybe fiddler is out of stock at that time...it happened me several times with other titles....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/3/2022 at 8:15 PM, Jay said:

Update from MV

"Empire should be back (last batch) in early April we hope.

MV"

Don’t suppose you Jay, or anyone knows anything further?

This is the last title I'm holding out for before placing my next order... will be just my luck if one of the other 3 titles sell out before this one returns. 

I really wish LLL had a pre-order option for international buyers, especially if new stock is imminent.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think I have ever listened to it properly.  Seen the movie of course.  Now I'm going to wait for this release to be delivered until I give it a proper listen.  One to tick off my little list !