Empire Of The Sun - La-La Land 2CD

Jay

Yes, Williams misunderstood the film and thought he scored The Adventures Of Short Round In Shanghai. Is this the first time and only time Spielberg had to ask Williams to rewrite the whole damn thing?

And all this based on 1 minute clip.

Yes!

I haven't listened to it (I will when I get the CD), but:

I don't like that clip at all. It has nothing to do with the film. I'm going to say away from this release as far as possible since the OST is perfect as it is.

What's that got to do with anything? The supposedly better fitted version was used in the film. It's available on the old release and the new one. Plus we also get, apparently, a shitload of new music. How is the new music required to fit the film in any way? If it's great music, it's great music, and if it's great but unfitting music, we should be especially happy that we get to hear it at all.

I haven't listened to it (I will when I get the CD), but:

I don't like that clip at all. It has nothing to do with the film. I'm going to say away from this release as far as possible since the OST is perfect as it is.

What's that got to do with anything? The supposedly better fitted version was used in the film. It's available on the old release and the new one. Plus we also get, apparently, a shitload of new music. How is the new music required to fit the film in any way? If it's great music, it's great music, and if it's great but unfitting music, we should be especially happy that we get to hear it at all.

Alex has a truly Thorifying attitude!

Like I said, I guess I am too (emotionally) attached to the original music (and film) to listen to a completely different approach.

Like I said, I guess I am too (emotionally) attached to the original music (and film) to listen to a completely different approach.

But are you still interested in the complete original score on disc 1?

Yes, Williams misunderstood the film and thought he scored The Adventures Of Short Round In Shanghai.

Oh come off it. It's far from playful. It's still a tortured lament, just somewhat less dark than the final version of the cue.

But are you still interested in the complete original score on disc 1?

The journey is perfect as it is.

Yes, Williams misunderstood the film and thought he scored The Adventures Of Short Round In Shanghai.

Oh come off it. It's far from playful. It's still a tortured lament, just somewhat less dark than the final version of the cue.

I mean in 'overstating' it. Spielberg's exaggerated, 'more, more, MORE' approach.

I mean in 'overstating' it. Spielberg's exaggerated, 'more, more, MORE' approach.

I could play devil's advocate and argue that Cadillac of the Skies is overstated, but works dramatically because of that.

Yes, but that's the apotheosis of the film, namely Jamie living his last moments of childhood, and thus it was quite appropriate at this point. But to argue (which is what you are doing) that the whole score should've been like that ... well, I guess it doesn't come as a suprise ...

But to argue (which is what you are doing) that the whole score should've been like that ... well, I guess it doesn't come as a suprise ...

Erm, no I'm not. I'm just saying your revulsion at the original The Return to the City is more than a little OTT. Yes, it's misjudged, but it's not the clusterfuck akin to needle dropping Training Montage from SPACECAMP into the love making scene from MUNICH, that you're making it out to be.

I'll buy the new one but only because i couldn't find the old one after my last move.

Explanations! Order the OST from Amazon!

And it leaves more of the expanded bottle caps for real zealots!

I'll buy the new one but only because i couldn't find the old one after my last move.

Nah, you're just a closeted expandist! ;)

Karol

Nah, you're just a closeted expandist! ;)

Karol

Yes, methinks the pub doth protest too much!

EMPIRE OF THE SUN: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) LLLCD 1300

Music by John Williams

Limited Edition of 4000 Units

STARTS SHIPPING JUNE 24

RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

ORDER “EMPIRE OF THE SUN: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)” on 6/24 starting at 12pm (PST) at www.lalalandrecords.com

Empire-of-the-Sun-Web.jpg

La-La Land Records, WEA and Warner Bros. proudly present the remastered and expanded, limited edition 2-CD set of John Williams’ Academy Award Nominated original score to the 1987 feature film EMPIRE OF THE SUN, directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Christian Bale, John Malkovich and Miranda Richardson. Heralded as one of the acclaimed composer’s finest works, Mr. Williams’ masterful orchestral score seeks no less than the openness of the human heart, mind and soul – the perfect compliment to this powerful and indelible film about a young English boy’s emotional and physical struggle to survive the Japanese occupation of China during WWII.

This deluxe re-issue was produced, assembled and mastered by Mike Matessino in cooperation with John Williams, Steven Spielberg and the film’s co-producers Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall. Disc 1 contains a full presentation of the film score, including never-before-released music, while Disc 2 pulls back the veil of the creative process with a selection of alternate cues and other additional music. A 28-page CD booklet features handsome art design by Jim Titus and Matessino’s exclusive, in-depth essay, approved by the director and composer.

EMPIRE OF THE SUN (2-CD SET) is a limited edition release of 4000 units.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC ONE

The Film Score

1 Suo Gân (extended version)** 3:29

Performed by The Ambrosian Junior Choir

Directed by John McCarthy

Soloist: James Rainbird

2 Home and Hearth** 3:50

3 Trip Through the Crowd 2:33

4 Imaginary Air Battle 2:38

5 Japanese Infantry* 3:00

6 Lost in the Crowd 5:44

7 Alone at Home* 2:43

8 The Empty Swimming Pool* 3:14

9 The Streets of Shanghai 5:15

10 The Plane 3:15

11 Jim’s New Life 2:34

12 The Pheasant Hunt 4:28

13 The British Grenadiers (traditional) 2:29

14 Cadillac of the Skies 3:53

15 Mrs. Victor and James* 2:11

16 The Return to the City 7:50

17 Seeing the Bomb** 4:48

18 Bringing Them Back* 2:41

19 Liberation: Exsultate Justi 1:53

20 Suo Gân 2:23

Performed by The Ambrosian Junior Choir

Directed by John McCarthy

Soloist: James Rainbird

21 Exsultate Justi (extended version)** 5:14

Disc 1 Total Time: 76:05

Disc 2: Additional Music

1 Chopin: Mazurka, Op. 17 No. 4 (excerpt)* 2:14

2 Imaginary Air Battle (alternate)* 2:41

3 Alone at*ome (alternate)* 2: 40

4 The Streets of Shanghai (film version segment)* 1:18

5 The Streets of Shanghai(alternate segment)* 2:17

6 Chopin Again* 1:19

7 The Plane (alternate)* 3:05

8 Cadillac of the Skies (alternate)* 3:51

9 The Return to the City (alternate)* 7:50

10 Exsultate Justi 5:09

Disc 2 Total Time: 32:24

Total 2-CD Time 108:29

* Previously Unreleased

** Contains Previously Unreleased Music

http://secure.campaigner.com/Campaigner/Public/t.show?6sr4g--3mrly-ag4f6q1&_v=2

Have i ever mentioned how i hate these endless months-in-advance LLL announcements of sale-coming-soon-announcements before i finally can press the fucking order button at my local merchant? it is annoying and should be stopped immediately.

I have that LP, too. The big cover with the fence would have looked even more spectacular on the old LP. But WB had a terrible house designer in those days, WoE looks as shitty:

$T2eC16ZHJHUFFfi2!ElCBR5!2sz6R!~~60_57.J

Though this one looks great:

soundtrack257414.jpg

And this one...NOT!!! (also WEA)

Last_Crusade_soundtrack.jpg

I don't like the Witches cover but why you think the two are alike is a baffling mystery to me. Empire is nicely stylized and could even work as a film logo. The Witches is just collage kitsch.

I may be slow but I still don't get your witticism.

When the announcement picture was first released Uni "misread" the track listing.

Karol

I too have all those on my "private" collection ;)

Oooh that sounds exclusive and fancy. I too have a "private collection".

It will be the usual 10 pm vigil for the LLL website to update and then a feverish filling of the order form tonight. I hope their shipping is its usual self this time as well as I can't wait to hear this set! :)

We all have but mine is, well, just a little more private.

Intriguing, tell me more.

I may be slow but I still don't get your witticism.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24469&p=1015151

If you still don't see it, read my post two below it.

Ah I get it! Very clever Karol! ;)

The EOTS cover is quite stirring actually. Nothing wrong with it.

I actually think the cover art (which is beautifully redone on the new release) is just about the best poster derived from Spielberg's movies. It sums up so much of the story and its themes—the boy who loves airplanes seeing the object he idolizes, not realizing the danger and horror incumbent in the reality before him.

Well I think the new cover is great, as good as the other Jim Titus / John Williams / La-La Land covers

Titus.jpg

(Including The Poseidon Adventure in the pic because it wasn't Jim Titus and shows how much better the covers have gotten since he was brought on board to do all their John Williams titles. No disrespect to whoever did The Poseidon Adventure, but Jim's work on all the others easily surpasses it).

Yeah Titus has done excellent job. The new EOTS cover is particularly striking, much for the reasons Uni mentions above. It is closer to the DVD cover except for the font of the title and in this case black is a better choice.

And I do love all the new covers too. Just to clarify, I was referring to the art of the movie's poster, not the CD cover per se.

And I do love all the new covers too. Just to clarify, I was referring to the art of the movie's poster, not the CD cover per se.

Ah right-o! It is a very effective and striking poster at that.