Williams conducting new arrangement of "Star Spangled Banner" in Washington on July 4

TownerFan

I don't think we should be looking for something "different" in an arrangement of this piece. If we get too inventive then it goes away from being something respectful or celebratory and becomes something more of an artist trying to show off - kind of like what we see with vocalists at the Super Bowl year after year. The Star-Spangled Banner shouldn't be used as a personal artistic platform to that degree, lest we start alienating the people whom the anthem really matters to.

Perhaps you're right, but as I said I think JW's version at the World Series in Boston a few years ago was far superior. largely because it tried something different.

I don't think we should be looking for something "different" in an arrangement of this piece. If we get too inventive then it goes away from being something respectful or celebratory and becomes something more of an artist trying to show off - kind of like what we see with vocalists at the Super Bowl year after year. The Star-Spangled Banner shouldn't be used as a personal artistic platform to that degree, lest we start alienating the people whom the anthem really matters to.

Perhaps you're right, but as I said I think JW's version at the World Series in Boston a few years ago was far superior. largely because it tried something different.

And then he was accused of using wrong notes... but yes, that was the best one I ever heard.

Outstanding arrangement, great performance. Gave me goosebumps watching it. I particularly love seeing the Maestro singing along with passion.

Agreed wholeheartedly. You just can't stray too far from the fundamental material with this—it would undermine the purpose of the whole enterprise.

Thanks for the video links!

I actually "watched" this live, but unfortunately our HD antennae we now use to watch local television since cancelling cable does not pick up the Rhode Island PBS station all that well, so I basically just got an extremely choppy version of it, I could barely hear Williams' speech or the new arrangement.

Now that I've seen it properly, I'm happy to say I like it a lot! Still a bit confused by the random battle footage that shows up 2/3rds of the way through, but whatever!

This arrangement would be right at home on a new CD of JW concert/olympic pieces.

Actually this sounds like an extension/augmentation of the arrangement for wind orchestra he did for the Rose Parade in 2004, even though he stressed a bit less some harmonizations and amped up the overall tone:

BTW, I like the quiet Lincoln-esque string passage of the B section that plays during JW speech.

Now that I've seen it properly, I'm happy to say I like it a lot! Still a bit confused by the random battle footage that shows up 2/3rds of the way through, but whatever!

Yeah, that was kinda weird, wasn't it? It might've helped if we knew where the footage came from. But, like you said . . . whatever.

I also thought it was great that the host referred to Williams during the introduction as "America's greatest living composer." Nice to see him appreciated like that.

Yeah, that was kinda weird, wasn't it? It might've helped if we knew where the footage came from. But, like you said . . . whatever.

It's supposed to show the battle Williams is talking about in his intro , and the moment that inspired the anthem

Right, but was it shot just for this special or was it from some pre-existing PBS thing or what?