BOOK - John Williams's Film Music - by Emilio Audissino

Ludwig

Thank you Ludwig for the review.

But.. how did you get it since it's not out yet?

I see the amazon date is June 12.

Is there another site that sells it already?

I would be looking forward to reading it too.

Thank you for this review! I'll be sure to check this out as soon as I am able! :)

I purchased it through Amazon.ca, where it's been available for the past month or so. Usually Canada gets things later than the US, but this was a lucky exception!

EDIT: By the way - thanks, Ricard!

I purchased it through Amazon.ca, where it's been available for the past month or so. Usually Canada gets things later than the US, but this was a lucky exception!

Ok, thanks!

I have now edited my OP and converted it into my latest blog post - see below. There are some new things I added to it if you're interested.

http://www.filmmusicnotes.com/book-review-john-williamss-film-music-by-emilio-audissino/

Hello Ludwig,

Thank you very much for your attentive, detailed and appreciative review. In reply to your comment re the Star Wars original music, I must say mine is an interpretation based on a series of points:

1) Lucas had successfully used a compilation score for American Graffiti.

2) from the interviews, it seems that at that time he planned to follow Kubrick's 2001 model and use classical pieces

3) Kubrick again, at the time when Lucas was engaged in the pre-production of SW, had hired Leonard Rosenman (who had not yet won an Oscar but was already an established name) to arrange classical pieces for Barry Lyndon. So, since Lucas seemed somewhat interested in Kubrick's choices he might have given a thought about hiring someone to arrange (Kubrick's "phase 2") instead of simply cut and paste the pieces from the albums.

4) Williams had just won an Oscar for Jaws but he was not yet "JOHN WILLIAMS" and therefore I wouldn't find it too strange that he might have been asked to arrange music instead of composing new one (and Williams got his first Oscar for his musical direction and arrangements of someone else's music in Fiddler on the Roof). Williams is a great arranger and I think he already had that reputation at that time.

5) I found strange that Williams said in the 1977 LP liner notes that he'd rather have original music instead of one piece of Stravinsky here, one piece of Tchaikovsky there, etc... This sound strange to me: the Hollywood norm WAS to have original symphonic music in a film, not compilations or arrangements of repertoire concert music -- those were exceptions. So why should Williams have mentioned this preference for original music (the norm) if there had been no idea on Lucas' part to do something different from the norm?

But, I repeat, this is my interpretation of the interviews and the historical circumstances. And it is valid as a tentative interpretation, until someone finds out something conclusive about this issue.

Thanks again and best regards to all the people in the JWFAN forum.

Hello Ludwig,

Thank you very much for your attentive, detailed and appreciative review. In reply to your comment re the Star Wars original music, I must say mine is an interpretation based on a series of points:

1) Lucas had successfully used a compilation score for American Graffiti.

2) from the interviews, it seems that at that time he planned to follow Kubrick's 2001 model and use classical pieces

3) Kubrick again, at the time when Lucas was engaged in the pre-production of SW, had hired Leonard Rosenman (who had not yet won an Oscar but was already an established name) to arrange classical pieces for Barry Lyndon. So, since Lucas seemed somewhat interested in Kubrick's choices he might have given a thought about hiring someone to arrange (Kubrick's "phase 2") instead of simply cut and paste the pieces from the albums.

4) Williams had just won an Oscar for Jaws but he was not yet "JOHN WILLIAMS" and therefore I wouldn't find it too strange that he might have been asked to arrange music instead of composing new one (and Williams got his first Oscar for his musical direction and arrangements of someone else's music in Fiddler on the Roof). Williams is a great arranger and I think he already had that reputation at that time.

5) I found strange that Williams said in the 1977 LP liner notes that he'd rather have original music instead of one piece of Stravinsky here, one piece of Tchaikovsky there, etc... This sound strange to me: the Hollywood norm WAS to have original symphonic music in a film, not compilations or arrangements of repertoire concert music -- those were exceptions. So why should Williams have mentioned this preference for original music (the norm) if there had been no idea on Lucas' part to do something different from the norm?

But, I repeat, this is my interpretation of the interviews and the historical circumstances. And it is valid as a tentative interpretation, until someone finds out something conclusive about this issue.

Thanks again and best regards to all the people in the JWFAN forum.

Thanks for clarifying, Emilio. You raise good points here. Still, the first four points you mention are circumstantial rather than definitive. It's that last one that seems strange, as you say. And that's where I think there has been a great deal of misinterpretation by others, inferring that Star Wars was originally to have a Kubrick-style compilation score. You do allow for an alternative in your book, so I'm not saying there's anything the matter with your fine work. I only think there is some confusion that needs to be cleared up.

In any case, the alternative you presentn is that Lucas wanted pre-existing classical music arranged as leitmotifs. And yes, that would account for Williams' quote, but it doesn't sit well with other pieces of evidence. First, why would Spielberg recommend Williams coming off of Jaws if that was the case? Williams had never arranged for Spielberg, so the recommendation would seem inappropriate. But most of all, there are two quotes from Lucas himself that have not been accounted for in arguments for a compiled or arranged score. I give these below (from The Making of Star Wars).

Quote 1 - Lucas on why he chose Williams

I really knew the kind of sound I wanted. I knew I wanted an old-fashioned, romantic movie score, and I knew he was very good with large orchestras.

Quote 2 - Lucas on what type of score he wanted

We wanted a very Max Steiner-type of romantic movie score.

If one combines these quotes with the "strange" one Williams gives, and if we are to believe that they are all credible, then the compilation idea starts to fall apart. The only way these quotes all seem to agree is if what Lucas was talking about was a score in which the themes were from classical works, as you say, but were re-composed into a new original score, something like Steiner's Casablanca. There, Steiner uses "As Time Goes By", the Marseillaise, the Deutschlandlied, and "Die Wacht am Rhein", but they're used as raw material for an original score. No one would call Steiner's score compiled or even arranged. It's an original score based on pre-existing themes, which is quite different from a complied or arranged score.

Consider also that, in talking with Lucas, Williams says that "I felt we needed our own themes". So clearly, the themes were going to be unoriginal. But they're re-use throughout the score would have to have been planned to be original from the start. And this is the confusion that needs to be cleared up (again, from all past sources, not your book per se). The Kubrick-style score is, for me, one of the great myths of the plans for the Star Wars score.

Again, congratulations on a very fine book. Hopefully there will be more from you on Williams in the years to come.

Ludwig,

I also think the possibility of thinking of using existing pieces of classical repertoire might have been discussed in the very early stages of the meetings. Williams own quote "I felt we needed our own themes" super imposes the thought that other existing themes/music may have been considered. The above quotes that you refer to while accurate reflect the mood of when it was strongly decided to go with an original symphonic score. The quotes more or less gravitate with the sole idea of creating a brand new original themes and mood of the film. Just my few cents here. Look forward to order my copy too.

On 6/5/2014 at 1:43 AM, azahid said:

I also think the possibility of thinking of using existing pieces of classical repertoire might have been discussed in the very early stages of the meetings. Williams own quote "I felt we needed our own themes" super imposes the thought that other existing themes/music may have been considered.

Well, yes. But everyone seems to think it was an "either/or" situation - that either classical compositions were going to be used as the score or they weren't.

This is what they call a "binary opposition" that simplifies matters that may exist on more of a spectrum rather than at opposite poles.

All I'm saying is that people never consider the possibility that the classical pieces may have been planned to be used as mere raw materials for an original score rather than simply arranged or used in their original form, like in 2001. That, to me, fits all the evidence the best. Lucas' talk about having an "old-fashioned" and "Steiner-type" movie score, which he says he always wanted for the film, just doesn't make sense otherwise.

And people who work so rapidly and move from one project to the next might not remember with absolute clarity everything that took place in a project that they undertook nigh 40 years ago. We often tend to overlook the fact that these stories receive a good amount of variation over the years through the interviews as film makers try to give an old story a slightly new spin. What we might consider to be an interesting vital piece of information is not even considered meaningful by them because it was just part of the work and a passing experimental phase in the project that took its final form a bit later.

Fascinating info here, thanks.

Congratulations on your book, eaudissino. I'm absolutely certain, judging by Ludwig's exacting and favourable reactions to it, that JWFan resident 'Sharky' couldn't have "written this in his sleep."

What an arse!

All the best mate :)

Fascinating info here, thanks.

Congratulations on your book, eaudissino. I'm absolutely certain, judging by Ludwig's exacting and favourable reactions to it, that JWFan resident 'Sharky' couldn't have "written this in his sleep."

What an arse!

All the best mate :)

Is the author of this book a JWfan-er?

Oops! I guess he is. No offence Emilio, but I just wasn't sure. I'll be keeping a firm eye on my local Waterstones, form now on.

Thank you all very much!

• 8 years later...
  • 6 months later...