Scott Derrickson to direct "Dr. Strange" for Marvel Studios

Matt C

Scott Derrickson (Sinister, Deliver Us From Evil) is reportedly closing a deal to direct Dr. Strange for Marvel Studios and Disney.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/marvels-dr-strange-hires-director-scott-derrickson-exclusive-1201173055/

Provided Marvel doesn't "encourage" Derrickson to go with someone else, this will be Christopher Young's third Marvel film.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought Season 3 was delayed because both Freeman and Cumberbatch were working on Hobbit (and a million other things)

Cumberbatch is a safe, predictable choice. I think he'll do just fine, I would've liked for Marvel to try more out-of-the-box casting. Ethan Hawke would've been a nice dark horse candidate, and would be familiar with Derrickson since both did Sinister together. Or even Ewan McGregor, he would've been good too.

Let's bring Leonardo DiCaprio to the negotiation table.

Also, the link is misleading since this is not confirmed or a done deal.

Seems like it's close to being done, as the trades would caution otherwise. Seems like all Cumberbatch has to do is sign the contract.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps Derrickson had a clause that allows him to bring on composers he's worked with previously. It wasn't until Iron Man 2 that Marvel allowed Jon Favreau to hire John Debney.

• 8 months later...