Star Wars Anthology: Boba Fett (2020)

Bilbo

JOSH TRANK TO DIRECT STAND-ALONE STAR WARS FILM
June 04, 2014

In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney continue development of multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. The newest director to come on board is Josh Trank.
"We're thrilled to welcome Josh into the family," says Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. "He is such an incredible talent and has a great imagination and sense of innovation. That makes him perfectly suited to Star Wars, and for this new slate of movies that reach beyond the core characters and storylines of Episodes I through IX."
Trank states, "The magic of the Star Wars Universe defined my entire childhood. The opportunity to expand on that experience for future generations is the most incredible dream of all time."
Trank captured imaginations worldwide with his critically lauded directorial debut Chronicle, a fresh and engaging take on the superhero genre. Trank is currently at work on The Fantastic Four for 20th Century Fox.

http://starwars.com/news/josh-trank-to-direct-stand-alone-star-wars-film.html

No details on the characters have been announced aside from: "this new slate of movies that reach beyond the core characters and storylines of Episodes I through IX."

Doesn't sound like a Han Solo film to me.

Is the Han Solo one confirmed or is it still rumour?

No details on the characters have been announced aside from: "this new slate of movies that reach beyond the core characters and storylines of Episodes I through IX."

Doesn't sound like a Han Solo film to me.

Well, apart from anything Lucas or Spielberg related, she also produced The Money Pit, Arachnophobia, Alive, The Indian in the Cupboard, Congo, Bridges of Madison County, Twister, Snow Falling on Cedars, the Sixth Sense, Seabiscuit, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, and Benjamin Button. So there's that.

I'm not basing it on her own successes, but what her position is with respect to this franchise and how long she has had it. Even if she's not done much of her own, she's been part of the Spielberg/Lucas family long enough to really give a damn about where it all goes and to be wise enough to make good choices.

• 6 months later...

According to the leaked Sony emails, Simon Kinberg is writing this one.

He was one of the screenwriters of next year's Fantastic Four (which is directed by Trank), has written for X-Men 3, DOFP, and the upcoming Apocalypse, and he's also written a bunch of episodes of Star Wars Rebels

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1334526/

I will never understand the craze about Boba Fett. Ne-ver.

His inclusion in the prequels as a clone (or I should say THE clone) is pure madness.

I always thought Fett was a cool villain - coolest of the bounty hunters - but part of his appeal was that he was mysterious. Now we know everything about the guy under the mask, and he is significantly less cool.

AOTC would have been much better if Boba was not part of it, and if the guy who was cloned was Jango Smith or something - an unrelated guy in a somewhat related costume, but clearly not otherwise related to the OT character.

• 4 months later...

Josh Trank Exits ‘Star Wars’ Anthology Movie

I'm kind of glad, actually. I haven't seen Chronicle, but his new Fantastic Four reboot doesn't look that great to me. I'm eager to see who replaces him.

Rumors have persisted that Fox is unhappy with Trank's performance on Fantastic Four and that Kinberg, who is producing both that film and the second Star Wars spinoff, was getting cold feet about working with Trank again.

I remember hearing rumors last month that something was amiss when Trank didn't appear at Star Wars Celebration, so this makes sense. If Simon Kinberg, who works on Star Wars Rebels and is writing the script for this Anthology film, didn't like working with Trank on Fantastic Four, then he wouldn't want to work with him again on this one.

WOW! That's pretty shocking.

Luckily, there's still plenty of time to get this all figured out. I mean, this film is coming out in 2018, and the 2017 SW film (Rian Johnson's Episode 8) is still in development

Now we can go back to speculating!

What if Brad Bird stepped in to direct this one? He seemed really interested in trying to direct Episode VII, but didn't want to give up Tomorrowland. Now that Tomorrowland is almost out and this film is open, I could see him stepping in, unless it interferes with the sequel to The Incredibles that he's writing, which is a definite possibility.

As of April 28, he is still interested in doing 1906, but he can't condense the script to movie-length and he doesn't want to waste more time on it.

Aside from writing the sequel to The Incredibles and potentially directing it, I don't think he has anything else on his slate at the moment--at least that we know about. This could work out, if he's interested!

I can't imagine Brad Bird would be interested in making a movie about Boba Fett. Maybe another character.

Isn't the Boba Fett idea just a rumor, though? I'm pretty sure nothing has been confirmed about the plot yet. And with 2018 still so far off, I bet they could start with a new story for Brad Bird, if they wanted to.

There were rumors they were developing a Han Solo spinoff movie too, but maybe thats their 2020 title now