Saw Spiderman today(out of topic)

King Mark

Though i was wondering what the fuss was all about some dude swigning around with webs,I found out why it's raking in money,it's a great movie in almost every aspect and has much more to offfer than the trailers led me to believe.Good story,dialogue,BELIEVABLE love story,solid acting,and quite a few other surprises.

And,btw,I haven't noticed a score this good outside Williams in a LOOONG time.Elfman 's score,while in some parts reminicent of Batman in the Main titles,is softer and has many lovely passages I noticed.I might buy the soundtrack to this if it is ever released.

K.M.Who thinks overall that was a better movie than AOTC.

K.M.Who thinks overall that was a better movie than AOTC.

That's not difficult. Most movies are better than Attack of the Clones.

Neil

No, but many are. BTW King Mark, I don't believe you. Me no like Elfman very much.

Ha,ha,ha!

Yeah, I know Spiderman might have a good story.

But the digital FX are just 1/1000 as good as the ones in AOTC.

Sorry, Tristar doesn`t have as much cash as Fox.

Well ok AOTC hadn`t a very good love story, but the movie is still great!

Dr. Jones who hasn`t seen Spiderman yet but thinks that It won`t be better than Aotc.

I like Spider-Man better tha AOTC too. They're both very enjoyable movies, but Spider-Man's dialogue actually drew me into the story, rather than making me laugh at it as AOTC did. But like I said, I really liked them both.

Ray Barnsbury-who liked Elfman's score too . . . but not as much as Williams'

this Spiderman obsession is truly beyond me. it's sweeping the nation and i just don't see it. the movie is mediocre at best. everything about it is standard and unoriginal. it has some of the most one-dimensional characters i've ever seen in a movie, and i just found it to drag way too much. there was nothing new and fresh about it, just tobey maguire soaring between buildings. and the villain, the mean green goblin, was inexcusably horrible. i must have laughed at every time he was on the screen. everything about this movie seemed taped on to me, and there was no sense of urgency or conflict. to me, it doesn't come anywhere near Batman. but that's jsut me

Ted

one more thing: i don't think Spiderman comes anywhere near Attack of the Clones either. Lucas may not be the best at writing dialogue, but he can tell a damn good story, and AOTC is better than so much else that is out there.

**Spoilers**

I don't see how Spider-Man's characters are more one-dimensional than AOTC's. For me, there was great chemistry between Peter and Mary Jane, as well as the other characters. I really felt that they acted suberbly, and that their characters were well developed. AOTC was really lacking in this sense. Anakin and Padme's dialogue was mostly forced sounding and dripping with melodrama. They had no chemistry that I could see. The only part about their love that is tolerable is the wedding, where there is no speech. About the Green Goblin, I agree, he was laughable, but that's at least partly the way it's supposed to be. I mean the guy's insane, he's gonna sound stupid. I'd rather have a corny comic book type villain than a laughable love story that's meant to be dead serious. Seriously though, I understand where you're coming from - like you said, that's just me. :music:

Ray Barnsbury

and i too understand where you're coming from. the AOTC love angle was a huge weakness. but it had to happen really. maybe it didn't have to take itself so serioussly, but it did have to happen. and although Padme's character is paper-thin, i think Anakin and Obi-Wan are very interesting characters. and i cannot wait to see how Christopher Lee is gonna be in episode 3 because i think he added so much to AOTC, a movie that is different from Spiderman because of it's lack of definition. this lack of definition doens't make it bad. that's the way it's supposed to be. nothing is clear cut in this movie, at least until the end, even some characters, like Tyranus. the love angle in Spiderman just came off like one of those teen movies. i think it's just as cliched as AOTC's love story. i think it was just as flat

i don't want to beat this to death, but i have one more thing to say, and that is about the broad issue. both star wars and spiderman are considered action films moreorless. and in my opinion, attack of the clones excelled there. the chase at the beginning was sensational, truly masterful. and the final half hour was completely exhilirating, esp. the Yoda part. those light saber duels were terrific.

Maybe it's just me, but i thought the action in Spiderman was so weak. i didn't find any of it exhilirating at all. Spiderman was flying around so fast and moved so qucikly that he just came off as a cartoon. superheroes should have very human flaws when in costume, and they do, but spiderman effortlessly soars all over the place, easily beating up baddies left and right and very quickly too. that's what i meant about the conflict. there's no point to it all. i think the action was very very lackluster and AOTC only makes it look worse i think.

i think that is overall how AOTC excels far beyond Spiderman, since their love stories are on a close level

First off, before I say anything, I will say that I've been a fan of Spider-Man all my life.

I thought the movie was terrific. I felt it told the story to damn near perfection and the cast was a perfect ensemble.

As for the SFX, I think it's superb. The idea is that you have to see the movie more than once to appreciate them. When I saw it the first time, I cringed at some of the effects, but after my 2nd and 3rd times (I told you, I'm a fan) I felt that they blended almost perfectly to the film so that even a passerby might not know whether they're seeing CGI or a person. IMHO, the movie's effects beat that of ANY Star Wars prequel and definitely any added effects in the original trilogy. I don't understand. Lucas founded ILM, but can't make his digital characters look real. But someone like Spielberg works with ILM and his characters/things/places are seamless. Just watch AI or Jurassic Park. Maybe Stan Winston should do the effects on Episode III.

I couldn't disagree more about the appearance of the FX Kevin. The compositing in Spider-Man is awful most of the time. Only at the very end does it seem realistic.

As for the love stories, they're about on par with one another. The dialogue between both couples is corny, but young, inexperienced couples behave and speak that way. Sad, but true. In fact, the dialogue through-out Spider-Man was just as cheesey as anything in AOTC. In general, I found the performances in both films to be about equal. But, there is nothing as awful as Spider-Man's wrestling sequence in AOTC, at least in my opinion. It's way too over-the-top even by WWF standards. The sad part is, that very sequence was handled quite well a couple of years ago in an early issue of Ultimate Spider-Man, a modernized re-telling of the character's origin. Critics seem to be more forgiving of Spider-Man because, frankly, the expectations for the movie were rather low, whereas Star Wars is held up to higher standards.

I've been a fan of both Star Wars and Spider-Man for as long as I can remember, however, for my money, I found the story of Episode II to be more enjoyable after two viewings of each.

I don't understand. Lucas founded ILM, but can't make his digital characters look real. But someone like Spielberg works with ILM and his characters/things/places are seamless. Just watch AI or Jurassic Park. Maybe Stan Winston should do the effects on Episode III.

:) Very funny. Sorry but Yoda kicked Spider-man's ass so hard that he doesn't live in the Earth by now.

PS: Stan Winston has nothing to do with CGI, he makes the Live-action models

I will concede there Luke. Yoda's scene was fantastic and did top some of the F/X in Spider-Man, but as far as I'm concerned, Spidey will look more real to me than Jar Jar Binks ever will.

IrishCal, I agree that some of the composite shots were weak. The film was shot in 1.85 instead of 2.35. I suppose Don Burgess is a good enough cinematographer, but I think the film would've been rendered much better had the film been shot in 2.35. Since it wasn't, I think some shots suffered, and some of which were the digital effects shots.

I know Stan Winston does mostly visual effects, but I always thought he had some hand in the digital effects. Does he really have none?

stan winston is solely live action. and could you please further elabortate on this fx stuff, because i thought the visual effects in Spiderman were sooooo fake-looking, and it doens't even compare to episode 2, not by a long shot.

Kevin, you make good point about the apsect ratio. The worst part about it would have to be that the CGI itself was great, but the poor compositing just made it scream "FAKE" to me.

My biggest complaint with the FX in both films has to be CGI stunt-doubles. They're horrible. When Peter first discovers he can jump long distances, awful! Anakin attempting to ride the animal in the meadow, terrible! Such stunts looked ten times better in the Matrix using wire-work.

I was dragged by some friends to a double bill of Spiderman(second viewing),and AOTC(Third viewing).

as I initially posted,Spidey was very good film and somewhat held itself more together than AOTC storywise.But I think after a single viewing,you pretty much get the whole picture,this second viewing today seemed to drag and I appreciated it much less than the first time,not because it was less good,but because you pretty much see what there is to see the first time.But again i noted Elfman's score was damn good.

AOTC is different,after a third viewing,I was still discovering interesting detals here and there in almost every shot.So to the contrary,it becomes more interesting after multiple viewings,especially if you disregard the love scenes(i use the Picknic Meadow scene as a good time to go take a leek).However,I have yet to hear unreleased original music that would beg for an expanded double album.

K.M.

I grew up on both Spiderman and Star Wars. I'm yet to see Spidey (I want to eventually), but saw AOTC on opening night.

I know Spidey's origins and how he met Mary Jane and all... so that wasn't as big to me as learning untold Star Wars tales (well, untold outside of spoilers, :mrgreen: ).

I'll be interested in that Elfman score CD though, because I loved his other "comic book to big screen superhero" score(s).

-Chris, Who has yet to see Spiderman once and AOTC twice...

I will concede there Luke. Yoda's scene was fantastic and did top some of the F/X in Spider-Man, but as far as I'm concerned, Spidey will look more real to me than Jar Jar Binks ever will.

Maybe because a creature like Jar Jar does not exist, an Spidey is a human, which we are more used to be moving?

If Jar Jar in TMP was good (but his as was kicked), in AOC he was better and even Kicked asses! :jump:

Maybe because a creature like Jar Jar does not exist, an Spidey is a human, which we are more used to be moving?

:jump:

A CGI human(like spiderman)is harder to do than an alien creature or an animal.

K.M.

:jump:

A CGI human(like spiderman)is harder to do than an alien creature or an animal.

K.M.

I know (that is because Spidey is not real) but i mean, People complain about Jar Jar movements, or reality, to whom can be compared??