Before "We Don't Wanna Grow Up"

RedBard

So I've been reading the "Hook Complete Score Analysis" that John Takis wrote back in 2000. Here's what he said about "We Don't Wanna Grow up":

“We Don’t Wanna Grow Up”: Dissonant piano notes lead us into the actual film before dropping into a trill — a passage very reminiscent of Camille Saint-Seans’Carnival of the Animals. This is followed by a simple yet evocative rendition of Tinkerbell’s theme as the camera fades in to the enchanted faces of small children.

And now for the purpose for this thread:

I have listened to and transcribed the entire cue as its proper piano sheet music! :woop:

Whereas it was once the case that only the song-and-dance portion of WDWGU was available, now the "before" part is here thanks to my transcribing ear and resources. Note: the song-and-dance portion of this cue has been purposely omitted.

My transcription is available for your analysis purposes and amusement (see attachment at the end of this post).

Feel free to listen to the cue as you read the sheet music I transcribed. I believe you'll find that my transcribing ear is astoundingly accurate.

If there any pianists (like myself) in these parts, they are free to print it out and try it out for themselves on their nearest piano. Just don't go selling it w/o JW's permission first.

Williams - We Don't Wanna Grow Up.pdf

Well done! But I have spotted a few inaccuracies in the last 4 bars: in bars 31 and 32 the second chord should be F# major (or Gb major if you want), while the second chord in bar 33 is Gdim (that is, G Bb C# E). And I think the last chord (bar 34) would include also the note D in both hands.

I could've sworn that bars 31 and 32 had G notes as a pedal tone, not an entire chord change. The reverb and neighboring notes must've thrown me off. I blame the microphone placement.

Then again, I didn't say my transcribing ear was flawless. I'll have it edit it again.

This is embarrassing, especially after I almost bent my ear transcribing the first three bars.

Update!

I have revised and corrected the piano score after taking in feedback and listening to it once more.

The revised score is once again available in my initial post.

As of this post, if you have downloaded my original transcription, it is officially outdated. Delete it and update to the latest revision (courtesy of my transcribing ear).

Update!

In light of hearing this music and seeing the accompanying sheet music, I believe that passage from Takis' essay needs to updated.

Saint-Saëns is a close contender for imitation of style, but does not address the first two bars. It should say this instead:

"Dissonant piano runs composed in a serialistic manner (similar in style to the work of Schoenberg and Webern) lead us into the actual film before dropping into a triumphant major chord and a trill."

Ah, yes! "We Don't wanna Grow Up", composed by the artist formerly known as good.

And what's that supposed to mean?

For someone who's not as musically literate as you are, any chance you would a record a performance of the sheet music?

I don't have that kind of set-up in my home. The best thing I can give at this time is a digital rendition of it on my notation software (mp3 format).

Ah, yes! "We Don't wanna Grow Up", composed by the artist formerly known as good.

And what's that supposed to mean?

It's just s cheap jibe at what I generally consider to be JW's nadir, and it is based on what Prince used to call himself. No harm intended

We don't wanna come of age.

He-he!

Update!

A digital rendition of the song (in mp3 format) can now be heard/downloaded in the initial post.

Just click on the link provided.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an aside, the cue is shortened on the OST.

Not to mention in the film also. It's just silence through the studio logos, then the title card, then "Arrival of Tink".

• 4 weeks later...

In light of hearing this music and seeing the accompanying sheet music, I believe that passage from Takis' essay needs to updated.

Boy howdy, is that ever an understatement! :) As much as that piece gets cited around here, I was pretty green when I wrote it. There's much in it that could stand revision, updating and outright correction. (I'd just as soon it not be online at all, in its current form -- but the internet will have its way!) Perhaps someday...

Well, since he gets paid to write about other film music, I imagine it's hard to find time to write about film music for free, even when it's one of his favorite scores of all time.

With the LLL CD about to go OOP, maybe Intrada will pick up the license and hire JK to write an essay for the reissue :)

Speaking of reissues...

Update: After giving the cue another listen-through, I have made a couple of revisions to my rendered sheet music and reposted it. The revised version of the sheet music is now available in the original post, as always.

As such, the link to the digitally-rendered mp3 version of the sheet music is officially out-of-date and has been deleted.