"I need my pain!"

Yesterday marked the 25th anniversary of "Star Trek: V". For some, this might be an anniversary they would chose to forget, but...is the film really that bad? 2014 marks the 25th anniversary of many successful and influential films (of which "ST:V" was neither). So...what other 25th anniversaries will JWfan-ers be celebratng, film wise?

Cosmic thoughts?

I have a quiet liking for the film. Far from perfect but it has a certain charm. Personally, I take this over the latest offerings. It at the very least ends with the Jerry Goldsmith theme.

This usually prompts a flick through Shatner's Movie Memories.

Star Trek V is a deeply flawed film, with a very dodgy script. The concept of The Enterprise looking for God simply doesnt work. Not in Roddenberry's Atheist 23th century vision.

The special effects range from mediocre to poor. The Next Generation had better shots in that same year that some of whats used in that film.

But the film has oodles of character and charm, and I've always been willing to brush of it's fllaws becasue of that.

The cast, both the regulars and guest stars are all superb, and yes, Shatner swaggers more then usual because he's directing himself.

It's also the only original cast film that has the famous trio Kirk, Spock and McCoy together throughout almost all of the film.

Which is another reason why the film kinda feels like a TOS season 3 episode.

And a brilliant score.

For some, this might be an anniversary they would chose to forget, but...is the film really that bad?

Yes. The film is really . . . that . . . bad.

As a Trek fan, I've tried--really, I have--to "brush off" its flaws. I honestly hoped it would improve with age, at least reaching the status of some sort of guilty half-pleasure.

But no. This one sucks. In cringeworthy fashion, which just makes it painful to watch. Nothing about it works. I resent it all the more because it makes me resent it so much.

Of course, I'm speaking solely about the movie itself. If nothing else, it gave us yet another great Goldsmith score (with all the requisite Jerrygasms that followed. . . .). It featured the premiere of the new 4-note ST motif, which gets a sort of concerto of its own in A Busy Man. And the music of "The Mountain" deserves an extended treatment of its own.

So I think it's well worth celebrating the 25th anniversary of Jerry Goldsmith's score for . . . uh . . . some movie. I forget which one. :sarcasm:

But the film has oodles of character and charm, and I've always been willing to brush of it's fllaws becasue of that.

Yes!

And a brilliant score.

Yes!

I'm a fan.

"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream..."

A flawed film that I love, warts and all. Some genuinely great scenes and moments for the Big Three, and Laurence Luckinbill and George Murdock are superb. And that score!

Not related to STAR TREK V, but fitting in the general timeframe: a photo i found on FSM featuring Goldsmith, JNH, David Newman and Charles Fox socializing.

Goldsmith-JNH-David-Newman-Charles-Fox.j

http://www.asturscore.com/memories-of-jerry-goldsmith/2/

Why won't Paramount let Shatner make his director's cut?

Because Paramount wants to forget this movie ever happened.

A flawed film that I love, warts and all. Some genuinely great scenes and moments for the Big Three, and Laurence Luckinbill and George Murdock are superb. And that score!

Indeed. Star Trek V is a more enjoyable film than a lot of films that have been made today.

The character interactions between the cast especially with Kirk, Spock and Bones is instant classic.

Why won't Paramount let Shatner make his director's cut?

Because nothing could improve that film.

How about another scene where they sing "Row, row, row your boat"? That film needs more boats and more rowing!

• 2 weeks later...

And yet I'd still like some kind of Director's Cut even if Paramount don't. Find a way to redo the effects. Someone on YouTube did their own for the film and they're better than what the film had but then I guess it wasn't a big leap.