One-Hit Wonders

The "composers you dislike" thread gave me this idea.  What composers, in your opinion, have only produced one good score among an otherwise lackluster career?  Before you say Shore's LOTR, I'll say he's ineligible on account of Naked LunchThe CellEdge of DarknessEastern Promises, and Mrs. Doubtfire.  Here goes:

Marc Streitenfeld
I loved American Gangster.  The main Frank Lucas theme is brilliant, and the atmospheric parts of the score fit the film perfectly.  After that, I had insanely high hopes for Streitenfeld: this was only his second score, and it seemed like the sky was the limit.  In reality, American Gangster appears to be the limit.  If you ask me, nothing he's written since even qualifies as mediocre; really, Robin Hood and Prometheus are stock RCP scores, and Welcome to the Rileys and The Grey were dreadful.  It's like he used up all his ideas on one score, although that one score was good enough to buy him quite a bit of good will with me.

Jeff Grace
I'll preface this by saying that I'm just generally unfamiliar with his output, but I Sell the Dead and Stake Land were eminently forgettable. The Innkeepers, though, might be the best horror score in recent memory.

Nope

Here's some others

Edward Sheamur :Sky Captain

Henry Jackman :Kick Ass

Javier Navarrete: Pan's Labyrinth

Stu Philips :Battlestar Galactica

KM's examples are right on.

Has the guy who did The Last Starfighter ever done anything else of note?

He also did the wonderful Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins the following year, which made me think he would join Horner, Silvestri etc as part of the new batch. Sadly he stayed as a "two-hit wonder", just like Arthur B. Rubinstein with War Games and Blue Thunder.

I actually rather enjoyed his score to Joe Dante's The Hole. It was obviously temped with a lot of Goldsmith and Pan's Labyrinth. But it's all enjoyable.

Karol

Marc Streitenfeld

I loved American Gangster. The main Frank Lucas theme is brilliant, and the atmospheric parts of the score fit the film perfectly. After that, I had insanely high hopes for Streitenfeld: this was only his second score, and it seemed like the sky was the limit. In reality, American Gangster appears to be the limit. If you ask me, nothing he's written since even qualifies as mediocre; really, Robin Hood and Prometheus are stock RCP scores, and Welcome to the Rileys and The Grey were dreadful. It's like he used up all his ideas on one score, although that one score was good enough to buy him quite a bit of good will with me.

Jeff Grace

I'll preface this by saying that I'm just generally unfamiliar with his output, but I Sell the Dead and Stake Land were eminently forgettable. The Innkeepers, though, might be the best horror score in recent memory.

If you love American Gangster you should have no problem loving Body Of Lies.

I agree about Jeff Grace, but his one score for me is The Last Winter. Although Meek's Cutoff is kind of a decent atmospheric background filler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRunnVm803Q

Howard Shore: The Fly

;)

Seriously: Santaolalla for whatever he won two Oscars.

Other 2-3 hit wonders may include Jack Nitzsche (One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest, Starman), and Brad Fiedel (Terminator, T2).

Also: Anton Karas for The Third Man

And The Count of Monte Cristo, which I find much more satisfying.

Arthur B. Rubinstein with War Games and Blue Thunder.

What about Nick of Time?

Before you say Shore's LOTR, I'll say he's ineligible on account of Naked Lunch, The Cell, Edge of Darkness, Eastern Promises, and Mrs. Doubtfire. Here goes:

MRS. DOUBTFIRE, really? I'd go as far as saying the score actively hurts the film, and turns up the already saccharine elements (Robin Williams's worst tendencies) up to 11.

Compared to Corigliano's rejected score, EDGE OF DARKNESS isn't much to write home about either.

I'd replace those with ED WOOD, CRASH, SCANNERS or DEAD RINGERS.

Brad Fiedel (Terminator, T2).

And True Lies.

And above all, TERMINATOR, which is still the best TERMINATOR score. All done on the cheap on a Prophet V, Oberheim System, Emu Emulator II, Kawai grand piano and an electric violin, but brilliantly effective.

from the perspective of a "film score fan", Santaolalla is a Zero hit wonder though

And The Count of Monte Cristo, which I find much more satisfying.

Shearmur's K-Pax was nice.

Ernest Gold - Exodus

What about It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World? Greatest comedy score of all time!

Dammit! Second post, someone stole the first example that came to mind. . . .

KM's examples are right on.

He also did the wonderful 'Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins' the following year, which made me think he would join Horner, Silvestri etc as part of the new batch. Sadly he stayed as a "two-hit wonder", just like Arthur B. Rubinstein with War Games and Blue Thunder.

I wouldn't classify him even as a two-hit wonder; Remo Williams wasn't nearly as great as Last Starfighter. The twangy Korean motivic stuff was interesting, but the main theme was too stodgy 'n' structured, and turned into an 80s hipster beat for much of it. I remembered seeing the movie when I was younger, but was extremely disappointed when I picked up the score. Starfighter, on the other hand, was a standout score from the mid-80s.

Rubinstein, on the other hand, was a two-hitter. Both those scores are terrific, and I was always disappointed he didn't do more.

Stu Philips :Battlestar Galactica

Definitely. As epic as Galactica is, you'd think Stu had some better stuff in him. But Buck Rodgers bordered on disco silliness, and Knight Rider never showed anything better than its own main theme.

Brad Fiedel (Terminator, T2).

And True Lies.

Absolutely.

Arthur B. Rubinstein with War Games and Blue Thunder.

What about Nick of Time?

Not in the same level, IMO.

Ed Wood is impressive. It showed how high Burton can soar without Elfman.

My favorite Shore score after The Fly.

from the perspective of a "film score fan", Santaolalla is a Zero hit wonder though

Very true.

Ernest Gold - Exodus

What about It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World? Greatest comedy score of all time!

I remember watching a theatrical re-release and realizing how that score literally carried the whole film. Utterly brilliant.

Remo Williams wasn't nearly as great as Last Starfighter. The twangy Korean motivic stuff was interesting, but the main theme was too stodgy 'n' structured, and turned into an 80s hipster beat for much of it. I remembered seeing the movie when I was younger, but was extremely disappointed when I picked up the score. Starfighter, on the other hand, was a standout score from the mid-80s.

Oh, Remo definitely had a different flavor, but it was an excellent score, which worked really well in the film and featured two great main themes (the '80s beat' you dislike and the beautiful motif for master Chiun). And it's from 1985, one of the best years in film music! ;)

Charles Bernstein - A Nightmare On Elm Street.

CUJO and WHITE LIGHTNING are quite good.

Sure, but the Nightmare theme has become a classic :)

The Knight Rider theme is brilliant and was way ahead of its time. It still sounds uber cool.

It's still cool, sure. But the scoring for the show itself never got to that level. It was more Buck Rogers-type silliness (except, of course, when the theme inserted itself into the action).

Remo Williams wasn't nearly as great as Last Starfighter. The twangy Korean motivic stuff was interesting, but the main theme was too stodgy 'n' structured, and turned into an 80s hipster beat for much of it. I remembered seeing the movie when I was younger, but was extremely disappointed when I picked up the score. Starfighter, on the other hand, was a standout score from the mid-80s.

Oh, Remo definitely had a different flavor, but it was an excellent score, which worked really well in the film and featured two great main themes (the '80s beat' you dislike and the beautiful motif for master Chiun). And it's from 1985, one of the best years in film music! ;)

Meh. Just not my cup of tea, I suppose—though there are those who would look askance at both of us for cheering on War Games and Blue Thunder. As always, to each his own!

On the other hand, you are 100% on the money when you cite '85 as an indisputably landmark year, both for movies and their scores. (Y)

There's some other composers who aren't "one hit wonders" but write a few promising scores then fail to live up to expectations the long term

David Arnold is an example if you don't care about his Bond scores (Star Gate,ID4,Godzilla....???)

Now Alexandre Desplat

I had a feeling when I listened to Golden Compass that he couldn't really handle an epic fantasy score. Godzilla is also not great

I have, i liked it and gave me some hope but it faded again with Godzilla

And Monuments Men is not the same type of movie I'd like Desplat to be better at

Here's another one:

Nobuo Uematsu

So he has a couple of classic Final Fantasy scores (not all of it in there is great, but some of the themes are) , but he composed only 4 video game scores in the past 15 years, and he could have become a good film composer

Nobuo Uematsu

So he has a couple of classic Final Fantasy scores (not all of it in there is great, but some of the themes are) , but he composed only 4 video game scores in the past 15 years, and he could have become a good film composer

???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobuo_Uematsu#Discography

Well, the main ones I could find was

Blue Dragon

Lost Odyssey

Fantasy Life

The Last Story

l looks like there's some obscure 3DS titles I missed. so the point still stands. He's reduced to scoring obscure 3DS games nobody played?

Marc Streitenfeld

I loved American Gangster. The main Frank Lucas theme is brilliant, and the atmospheric parts of the score fit the film perfectly. After that, I had insanely high hopes for Streitenfeld: this was only his second score, and it seemed like the sky was the limit. In reality, American Gangster appears to be the limit. If you ask me, nothing he's written since even qualifies as mediocre; really, Robin Hood and Prometheus are stock RCP scores, and Welcome to the Rileys and The Grey were dreadful. It's like he used up all his ideas on one score, although that one score was good enough to buy him quite a bit of good will with me.

Jeff Grace

If you love American Gangster you should have no problem loving Body Of Lies.

I agree about Jeff Grace, but his one score for me is The Last Winter. Although Meek's Cutoff is kind of a decent atmospheric background filler.

I liked the basic texture of Body of Lies with its ersatz A-pop strings, but there's no memorable thematic material the way there was with American Gangster, and execution isn't sophisticated enough to stand on its own without it.

The Jeff Grace piece was really interesting - I'll have to check it out.

Before you say Shore's LOTR, I'll say he's ineligible on account of Naked Lunch, The Cell, Edge of Darkness, Eastern Promises, and Mrs. Doubtfire. Here goes:

MRS. DOUBTFIRE, really? I'd go as far as saying the score actively hurts the film, and turns up the already saccharine elements (Robin Williams's worst tendencies) up to 11.

Compared to Corigliano's rejected score, EDGE OF DARKNESS isn't much to write home about either.

I'd replace those with ED WOOD, CRASH, SCANNERS or DEAD RINGERS.

I quite enjoyed Mrs. Doubtfire, though that could just be nostalgia speaking. I actually enjoy Corigliano's and Shore's Edge of Darkness versions equally. Somehow I always forget about Ed Wood and Dead Ringers - two great scores. Scanners is hands-down my least favorite Shore though.

Sadat is really good too.

Sadat is really good too.

Mr Majestyk is majestic too if you like something with a bluegrass flavour. Can I suggest we let Chuck Bernstein leave early from detention this evening?

The latter is my one hit from him, excellent score.

Klaus Badelt???

The Time Machine?

The quieter moments of 16 Blocks are pretty solid. Shame that never got a release.

Yeah it's an underrated film too. Badelt has plenty of great scores, just not for Hollywood.