BloodBoal

Godzilla turned out a lot less serious and self-important than the trailers depicted. It exuded a tone more like one of the best of the 60s Ishiro Honda flicks.

So I don't know what this bloke's on about.

Why so serious?

I agree with most points. I am tired of everything being epic. Everything is as serious as cancer.

Somewhere along the line, everyone lost their sense of humor when it comes to cinema. I have little use for the future DC Superhero films… I'd rather see an all ages Superfriends movie, done semi-serious, but with humorous sensibilities. Comics used to be kid stuff, and I liked that about them.

I think in a way, our pop culture slump is tied a little bit to the rise of global terrorism, but I can see the seeds of it before all of that, pre Y2K.

I can't believe I live in a world where all these superhero films of the heroes I grew up with are being made, and yet, they are so damn serious, and not the films I would have envisioned as a kid.

Didn't make it past the Godzilla bashing. Since it's one of the best blockbusters to come out in the last 20 years, I couldn't disagree with this guy more.

I can't believe I live in a world where all these superhero films of the heroes I grew up with are being made, and yet, they are so damn serious, and not the films I would have envisioned as a kid.

Right?

Yeah, I find it pretty funny when people take comic book/superhero films seriously, most of all. I don't care if grown men read comic books; however, it's hard to deny that they were written primarily for children. With that, I find it mind boggling how and why adults critically analyze films about men in capes who fight aliens from outer space just because Zeke Snyder* and Chris Nolan directed the films. You'd be better off examining the "seriousness" of Sesame Street or The Magic School Bus.

Kudos to the filmmakers for trying to make a thought-provoking GODZILLA film, though. Nice try, but it's still about a giant lizard who breathes fire and stomps around cities.

*And if you take that hack's work seriously, then there's really no fucking hope for you.

Best recent example for me is Man of Steel and its total lack of wit, humor and fun that the first Superman has in spades.

I saw it once, but it was one time too many.

But overall I like Snyder's films. For instance, Watchmen gets better with every viewing. It helps that its visuals are astounding as I like that in a film. At the same time taking its source material seriously, but not remaining too serious for the duration of the film, I like a bit of poking fun to lighten the mood (the moment with Rorschach in the prison comes to mind). :biglaugh:

And who here is looking forward to the Zorro reboot ??? I sure ain't, they want to make it darker than the Z-man's costume. :angry:

But overall I like Snyder's films. For instance, Watchmen gets better with every viewing. It helps that its visuals are astounding as I like that in a film. At the same time taking its source material seriously, but not remaining too serious for the duration of the film, I like a bit of poking fun to lighten the mood (the moment with Rorschach in the prison comes to mind). :biglaugh:

Brother!

Best recent example for me is Man of Steel and its total lack of wit, humor and fun that the first Superman has in spades.

That might be the best recent example of a completely serious but completely shitty blockbuster.

I think this guy's onto something. He had me sold when he said:

It’s like someone saw Jaws and thought that the movie really could’ve used more shark, which in fairness is what every dumb studio exec of the last forty years probably thinks when they watch Jaws, which is why every big-budget action movie is Jaws 3-D now.

Bingo. It's as much the studios as the directors, though the guys behind the camera share an equal burden. The only thing I would disagree with is the notion that Pacific Rim was somehow superior to Godzilla because it was slightly less "silly." It took itself just as seriously, and suffered greatly for it. It was an intolerable piece of melodrama that lacked intelligence or subtlety on any level; it was nearly impossible to tell it apart from Michael Bay's Transformers schlock. A bad movie is a bad movie, whether it takes itself seriously or not.

Speaking of which:

That might be the best recent example of a completely serious but completely shitty blockbuster.

Now that was a bad movie. . . .

You forgot "I think he's kinda hot, sir." It's a classic on this board.

MAN OF STEEL's haters can go fuck themselves, and that includes all of the basement dwelling virgins who get off post those '150 Reasons why _ Sucked' Youtube videos.

It's one of the best comic book films made (though when you consider the amount of shit out there, that's not particularly hard), right up there with Burton's BATMAN RETURNS. And no, it's not devoid of wit. There's plenty of playfulness and camp in there - just not in a winking, Baby Boomer manner as with the Donner film.

Lack of humor wasn't Man of Steel's problem

The problem with current blockbusters is the apocalyptic universe-ending CGI battles at the end

There needs to be a balance between some humor and seriousness in these type of films, it can;t be TOO campy and self depreciating or dead serious. You still have to feel some stakes for the characters are real

Brother!

OK this is scary !! :eek:

A. How did you know I have one ?

B. That he is also a Snyder fan ?

So it's inconceivable that someone can justly dislike the film?

No, I just haven't read or heard a just negative review yet.

The script is trash and gives a great cast nothing to work with?

That's not just. Goyer's screenplay is flawed (too much exposition and motivational poster dialogue), but it's far from trash - they're a number of well written scenes (mostly involving Zod). And anyway, aren't you a David Fincher fan?

So help me out here: you say that a review of MOS that refers to it as trash is an "unjust" review. Then you refer to the greater bulk of the work from a man whom many consider a very good director as "nothing but hip, nihilistic trash." This, I assume, counts in your book as a "just" review.

Does it not take something of an elitist tack to label any review you don't happen to agree with as "unjust?" Not that I don't see the benefits of it. It implies that you're bringing an objective viewpoint of the material (as opposed to all of our simply emotional responses). It also prevents you from having to discuss or debate anyone else's opinion of a film unless it meets your rigorous and exacting criteria of what constitutes a "just" review.

But how does calling other films "trash" qualify as a just review? How is it that when you piss on movies you don't like, it's justified, but the rest of us have to show our work when offering our own calculations of a movie's worth?

I don't mean this to sound as snarky as it might come off. I'm asking a serious question . . . but one to which I think we already know the answer. In the end, all this commentary from all sides falls under the unspoken (and understood) heading of IMHO . . . right?

In the end, all this commentary from all sides falls under the unspoken (and understood) heading of IMHO . . . right?

Basically yeah. Some on other forums (and here too, though they've since wised up) have taken my blowhard, declamatory style of discussing film/TV the wrong way. In the end of the day, my opinions are just like anyone else's.

It's glossy trash obsessed with 'process', but still trash nevertheless.

The sooner the dastardly triptych of Fincher, Tarantino and Nolan retire, the better off cinema will be.

Three of the best. ;)

Best what? Con artists? Brain surgeons? Lion tamers?

They direct high profile movies and their names are known to the general public unlike for-hire-directors of 'real' blockbuster movies (shoot me, i couldn't name you the director of IRON MAN 1, 2 or 3).

They direct high profile movies and their names are known to the general public unlike for-hire-directors of 'real' blockbuster movies (shoot me, i couldn't name you the director of IRON MAN 1, 2 or 3).

Or genuinely brilliant directors like Marco Bellocchio, Todd Solondz, Wes Anderson, Edgar Wright, François Ozon, Mike Leigh, Chen Kaige, Wong Kar Wai etc.

Django Unchained costed a $100 million to make and made almost 5 times that much. If this doesn't qualify a blockbuster, I don't know what is. Pulp Fiction is generally considered to be Tarantino's first blockbuster.