BloodBoal

Right, cause everyone knows who Leigh and Wai are.

Not known to the general public.

That's not what pub said, but thank you for clarifying.

Django Unchained costed a $100 million to make and made almost 5 times that much. If this doesn't qualify a blockbuster, I don't know what is. Pulp Fiction is generally considered to be Tarantino's first blockbuster.

Until Inglourious Basterds, Tarantino was successful but never really brought in all that much cash at the box office. Like Fincher, he had a really popular breakthrough film that made him a recognized name. My point is: the two aren't even in the same league as Nolan in terms of blockbusters.

Generally, movies that gross over a $100 million dollar (domestically) are called blockbusters. They might not be the typical summer movie but they are blockbusters.

Ironically, yesterday marked the Big 25th for one of the movies that started it all:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/06/23/tim-burtons-batman-at-25-and-its-wonderful-terrible-legacy/?partner=yahootix

Batman was the template for the modern blockbuster. It was based on a preexisting property. It succeeded as much based on manufactured pre-release hype as any kind of genuine natural excitement or word-of-mouth buzz. It was preceded by a massive saturation marketing campaign that threatened to make its actual release feel anti-climactic.

It did make it feel anti-climactic, at least to me. To this day the film's never measured up to its hype, and I've always been left to wonder whether I would've liked it better if I hadn't been suffocated with it six months before I even had a chance to see it.