Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, I think there'll be a big cast announcement in January too

When will we get the title?

We got The Force Awakens 13 months before release. So if they follow the same pattern, it'll be April.

I have no fathomable idea of what they will choose. I guess it all depends on the main plot point. The Force Awakens is of course Rey. So if they focus on Snoke it could be maybe something like;

Star Wars Episode VIII - An Ancient Reveal / The Ancient Shadow

If they Focus on Kylo Ren, it could be;

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Power Of The Dark Side. / The Shadow Of The Dark Side.

And if they focus on Rey again, it could be;

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Balance Of The Light.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I know Kathleen Kennedy has already announced that entire Episode 7 cast is returning for Episode 8.  

But I wonder when we'll get an announcement about any new cast members?  I wonder what type of character they'd add into the mix now?

Empire Strikes Back added Yoda, Lando, and Boba Fett, but we already have Maz  a like a Yoda and Phasma is  speculated to turn into more of a Boba Fett.  I don't know how there can be a Lando character and Rey and Finn don't really have any "old friends" they can call up to help.

I'm thinking we'll just  get a lot more Poe than a character like that

Benicio Del Toro and Gubu Mbatha-Raw have reportedly been cast in Episode VIII.

And Disney must have tremendous confidence in Rian Johnson, handing him script duties for both VIII and IX right of the bat

What if the supposed original title of VII gets passed to VIII?

Episode VIII - The Ancient Fear

Also, I'm calling it now:

Episode IX - Balance of the Force

Wow The Ancient Fear sounds like a plausible name they'd use for Episode 8, assuming it goes into the Snoke backstory somewhat

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow The Ancient Fear sounds like a plausible name they'd use for Episode 8, assuming it goes into the Snoke backstory somewhat

I basically said that a while ago that if they focused on Snoke it would be something with 'An Ancient' in it.

And I said The Balance of the Light for Ep.9 a couple of hours ago (because force has already been used.)

8 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Is there any further news on Ep.8 or is this now the 'will Will Smith will a big box office bill still?' Thread.

Back to Star Wars; I heard Daisy said she thinks the Script for Ep.8 is great and that she starts filming as early as January.

I read somewhere that they filmed "reshoots" on the Irish island at the end of the film, but that was probably for E8.

5 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I basically said that a while ago that if they focused on Snoke it would be something with 'An Ancient' in it.

And I said The Balance of the Light for Ep.9 a couple of hours ago (because force has already been used.)

Sure, but "The Ancient Fear" was a rumored title for Episode VII whereas you just made up your own thing. As for "Balance of the Light," that title doesn't even make any sense, especially in Star Wars where light is at one end of a spectrum.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Traditionally, SW trilogy middle chapter titles have been more dramatic than vague.

The Empire Strikes Back

Attack of the Clones

The First Order Bites Dog

...or something.

On 23 December 2015 at 2:51 PM, Jay said:

Yes, I think there'll be a big cast announcement in January too

When will we get the title?

May the 4th I imagine. Star Wars day and a yearish from release. 

On 23 December 2015 at 8:42 PM, KK. said:

I read somewhere that they filmed "reshoots" on the Irish island at the end of the film, but that was probably for E8.

They were for Episode 8. 

On December 23, 2015 at 0:01 PM, Romão said:

Benicio Del Toro and Gubu Mbatha-Raw have reportedly been cast in Episode VIII.

And Disney must have tremendous confidence in Rian Johnson, handing him script duties for both VIII and IX right of the bat

He's a great writer!

I was just thinking of something.  Currently Disney has both Guardians of the Galaxy 2 AND Star Wars Episode 8 scheduled for May, 2017.   Do you think they'll move one of those to a different date?

Yea, exactly

Ideally Disney would want these two similar movies (space adventures with action and comedy) to be released in different seasons of the year, but their 2017 calendar is pretty backed with big stuff

March 17 - Beauty and the Beast Live Action

May 5  - MARVEL - Guardians 2

May 26 - STAR WARS Episode 8

June 16 - PIXAR - Cars 3

July 7 - Pirates of the Caribbean 5

July 28 - MARVEL - Spider-man reboot (actually a Sony film, but worth mentioning here as its part of the MCU)

Nov 3 - MARVEL - Thor 3

Nov 22 - PIXAR - Coco

But based on Ep 7's huge success I wouldn't be surprised if several aspects of their 2017 calendar get shuffled around so they aren't competing with themselves.

To be fair, out of the 8 films in my list above, Spider-man reboot is Sony and BATB live action is hardly a billion-dollar potential, but yes the other six films on the list could all hit a billion.  S'crazy.

(Although, I don't think either Pixar film will, nor Thor 3.  Guardians and Episode 8 are guaranteed to, though, and Pirates 5 probably also, for some reason).

~

You know, I was just thinking "maybe Disney will move Episode 8 to December 2017, since Episode 7 is doing so well in December of this year).  But then I remembered that Cameron has Avatar 2 slotted for December 2017, so they'd be competing for IMAX space.

Then, I read this insightful comment on IMDB:

GotG Vol 2 is coming out on the first weekend on May because ever since the first Spider-Man movie, a Marvel movie has always come out on that date. It is Free Comic Book Day and the various studios that have rights to Marvel movies (Sony, Fox, Marvel/Disney) have capitalized on it for more than a decade. 

Episode 8 is taking the May 25 date because it's the exact 40th anniversary of the theatrical release of the original Star Wars movie.

Maybe a better plan for Disney would be swap Thor 3 with Guardians 2, so Thor 3 is what opens for Comic Book Day and Guardians 2 is the big November Marvel movie.  Or maybe swap with Sony's Spider-man film, so it opens in early May and has run of things for 3 weekends before Episode 8 takes over, and then Guardians opens in July once Episode 8 has quieted down.

It's interesting to think that between the release of the first Guardians movie and the second (if they move Guardians out past May 5 I mean), Disney will have released THREE Star Wars films!  They might need to attach Guardians trailers to Rogue One and (if it moves) Episode 8 just to remind people about their other space franchise!

In Rey's vision, all the Knights of Ren wore helmets, and it seems is part of their uniform, just as the stormtrooper's white armor. I think if any other Knight of Ren appears in Episode VIII (very likely), then Kylo Ren will wear the helmet at least in those scenes.

Has Nathan Johnson done anything close to Star Wars before?

I don't get why some people want him to score the movie unless you want to abandon everything? Or have I missed something?

Some random tweets I found from a few users:

"Probably a bit of wishful thinking, but I figure Nathan Johnson writing STAR WARS music would be a kick. I now want it.Probably a bit of wishful thinking, but I figure Nathan Johnson writing STAR WARS music would be a kick. I now want it."

"I've thought about it, and I think I'm more excited to see what Nathan Johnson can do with STAR WARS music than anything else. "

"I'm okay with this Star Wars news as long as gets Nathan Johnson on the soundtrack and still makes his own movies in between."

"I'd also like to hear a Nathan Johnson STAR WARS soundtrack."

"I really want to hear Nathan Johnson's Star Wars score now. "

"Bring me on for set prop graphics haha ☺☺ and should totally have Nathan Johnson for some of the music!! "

I think we are very close to the announcement and I have a bad feeling about this...

I'd be SHOCKED if Nathan Johnson got the gig though (unless I have missed something he has done that is close to Star Wars that is), the best bet is Michael Giacchino (sadly), Rian Johnson is also following Giacchino on Twitter. It could be a sign...

Edit: It seems like Giacchino isn't following him though, good!

14 hours ago, Lewya said:

I think we are very close to the announcement and I have a bad feeling about this...

I'd be SHOCKED if Nathan Johnson got the gig though (unless I have missed something he has done that is close to Star Wars that is), the best bet is Michael Giacchino (sadly), Rian Johnson is also following Giacchino on Twitter. It could be a sign...

Edit: It seems like Giacchino isn't following him though, good!

He hasn't done anything with a big orchestra before, no. Nothing in the vein of Star Wars, but what he's done is very good. 

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Hamill must have a terrific agent, getting top billing for a 30 second cameo.

Indeed. I would have figured Carrie Fischer would have at least been before him.