Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

40 minutes ago, Scarpia said:

I agree, and they can't risk the success of the trilogy by pulling another rehash. People will be expecting a new story.

Really? I mean, TFA was a remake of the first film, and still made billions.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Really? I mean, TFA was a remake of the first film, and still made billions.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Most of the general public wouldnt care if they are shown the same story over and over again. Which they are, come to think about it. I mean every film Marvel has done is essentially the same one.

I'm not familiar with the Marvel films, but the fact The Force Awakens rehashes Episode 4 story is tolerated in the understanding that is a first installment that needed to make the connection with the older movies, but I think the trilogy is certainly expected to depart to new grounds. If criticism about the rehash has been significant (still not enough to prevent this movie for making billions), I think a second time would be riskier.

At least that's the impression I've got from comments on the internet and talking to people that have seen it here.

I think that a large section of the public really doesnt care that much. You know, the silent majority of people who watch a movie in the cinema, but never take the time to review it, or discuss it on line.

Normal folk....

5 minutes ago, Scarpia said:

I'm not familiar with the Marvel films, but the fact The Force Awakens rehashes Episode 4 story is tolerated in the understanding that is a first installment that needed to make the connection with the older movies, but I think the trilogy is certainly expected to depart to new grounds. If criticism about the rehash has been significant (still not enough to prevent this movie for making billions), I think a second time would be riskier.

That's not the definition most big studios have of "risky". Risky, to them, is proposing a completely original story. That's why we get endless remakes and reboots and sequels: because it's safe (well, most of the time).

That being said, yes, I'm pretty sure/hopeful they'll do something different with Episode VIII. We'll probably still get some callbacks to the previous films (with some parallels to ESB, inevitably), but most of the story will (again, hopefully!) be something fresh.

On 1/12/2016 at 6:14 PM, Stefancos said:

Luke will probably start out not wanting to train Rey, much like Yoda

And that's about it. Although looking at TFA I wouldn't be surprised if they do AGAIN another climatic scene over a chasm about familiar matters.

I called it!

Star Wars: Episode VIII Release Pushed to December 2017

At least now John Williams has plenty of time to score it.

OF COURSE, there's a Spielberg conflict though; Ready Player One is currently scheduled to open on the same day.

He'll do both. Real Player One will probably be recorded about the same time Episode VIII would have been as well had it been released in May. If anything, I think this spreads the projects a little bit

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Currently yes, Avatar 2 is scheduled for December 2017.

How do they even have a story for this yet? Dances with Wolves never got its sequel first. 

Reportedly, the movie was pushed back from May to December because of script rewrites:

In a recent episode of the Meet the Movie Press, Jeff Sneider claims that the start of the film’s production has been pushed back to February to re-write elements of the script... in order to focus more on Rey, Finn, and Poe, the protagonists of The Force Awakens, at the expense of the new characters in this movie:

They want to get to know better the characters they already have. So the new rewrite is shrinking the new roles in order to spend more time with Rey, Poe and so on.

While it might come as a surprise to hear that the protagonists of Episode VII weren’t planned to have as much screen time in the sequel, it’s not really—there have been rumors for a while that the film has been looking to cast a new female protagonist who will play a large role in Finn’s story, presumably to accommodate the fact that Rey will spend a portion of the film on her own training with Luke Skywalker.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/constantines-arrow-appearance-was-probably-his-last-eve-1753936527

Considering both SW8 and Ready Player One will be effects heavy, it may come down to how early Johnson can get Williams a first cut. After all, SW8 wraps filming before Spielberg even starts shooting RPO (July), so they have a comfortable headstart in editing.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Reportedly, the movie was pushed back from May to December because of script rewrites:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/constantines-arrow-appearance-was-probably-his-last-eve-1753936527

Which is the same exact thing that happened with The Force Awakens?

Karol

3 hours ago, Jay said:

We both called it. And this means that Fox and Cameron won't have Avatar 2 ready by December 2017 either, otherwise they wouldn't have moved.

WB and Spielberg can easily move Ready Player One up to October or November 2017 (a la Bridge of Spies and Lincoln). The Beard will likely have the film locked by the time Williams scores a rough cut of Episode VIII.

Also, the studios can schedule around Williams, i.e. Giacchino when he was recording both Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol and John Carter at the same time.

59 minutes ago, crumbs said:

SW8 wraps filming before Spielberg even starts shooting RPO (July)

That's not true anymore; The article I posted mentions that the start for filming of Episode 8 has been pushed back, meaning the end date would too.

29 minutes ago, Matt C said:

this means that Fox and Cameron won't have Avatar 2 ready by December 2017 either, otherwise they wouldn't have moved.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that, but I suppose you are right.  They'd be competing for IMAX screens let alone ticking in general if they were both releasing in the same month.  So I guess soon we'll get an announcement that Avatar 2 is no longer expected to be released in December 2017, then.

Avatar's post-production will probably take forever. So unless they managed to speed up the process it won't happen in 2017. And, of course, Cameron never takes the easy route, from the technology standpoint.

Karol

I really hope this isn't bad news for Williams to score Episode VIII with the Spielberg flick released around the same time. I guess the recording schedule is speculation at this point. It would be ideal if Williams could do both.

I am a little bit surprised that Disney isn't going to take advantage of the 40th anniversary of Star Wars by having Episode VIII released on May 25.